What’s the number 1 reason you’re the handicap you are?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Interpret it how you want - if you’re not where you want to be, what’s the primary reason you’re being ‘held back’? If you’re pretty happy with your handicap, what strength in your game allows you to maintain said handicap?

Driver errors! I 100% believe that when I was hitting great tee shots with good distance strokes were falling off. Short game has always been strong and for a while inside of 160 was great.

I am just not that good.

At all time low cap. Improving short irons has been the biggest reason past 12 months.

Relatively consistent approach game and tee game (albeit not long) keeps me comfortably where I'm at. I'd be significantly better if I seriously tried to grind out scores but I know I won't. It's all about the fun, looking forward to hitting the next shot well, and hopefully winning a little more than I lose in the skins games and such.

Last edited:
driver (which may be improving), and short game (which is not improving)

if i can drive it just a little better, my irons are usually good enough to get me on the green in reg. more pars would drop me down to a 2 or 3.

for the times i miss greens, i’m not getting up and down. it just doesn’t happen.

Consistency.
I can play good but sometimes stringing it all together is the issue.
whether it be for 1,2 or 4 shots in a row.

I'm in my mid 60s. :facepalm:

I’m very happy. I’m currently at 11.1. And I’m there because of short game. I make an inordinate number of one putt pars.

Consistency is my biggest strength. I don't hit spectacular shots, but I don't hit many stinkers either.

Complacency would be the reason I stay where I'm at. I can walk away from a simple birdie putt having made par without so much as a blip in my heart rate. I just don't seem to have that killer mentality in me.

i suck at golf.

Chipping and pitching. 150%

Decision making. There are strengths to my game, but I don't think any that outweigh that. Tracking and analysis and game management became an obsession a while back, and knowing what's actually the best choice for me in a situation and doing that really amplifies the good and helps cover the bad.

I’ll go with the mental game. 3.83 strokes worse on the back 9. Likely because slow play drives me crazy and takes me out of my rhythm and my body starts creaking. A recent driver switch has been doing well, but trusting my swing hasn’t come as easily throughout the bag as I thought it would. I just need to trust it and let ‘em rip. I can stop worrying about hooking, I just can’t stop worrying about hooking. That 6 inches between my ears is the worst thing ever.

B558600E-8378-477C-8AA8-6C7C3AADA4AC.jpeg

Tempo, inconsistency, and mental game were my faults in the last year. Working on all 3 over the winter.

I worked really hard and went from an 18 in early 2021 to a 10.8 mid-summer for about a month then went back up to a 13 and later in the fall I went higher, but haven't checked recently as we don't have league games in the winter so I don't bother much with it.

Being at a 10 for very short time allowed me to see what playing golf at that level was all about especially the focus required to play smart golf. I remember in my mind I was playing to get on the green and put for birdies and if I missed it needed to be close enough for par. That was pretty intense for me.

I am hoping to get back to 10 and possibly below this year and see if I can maintain it, but I simply have to improve in a couple of areas before that will happen. I work hard at it because it doesn't come easy for me. At my current high 90s and low 80s roller coaster games there is no telling where I might land this year.

The limited amount of time since I started playing again

Back