What’s your current or preferred ball flight?

jmix18

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What’s your preferred shot - straight ball, fade (big or baby), or draw (big or baby)? How did you come to figure that out? Why is it best for you?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
5 (WGH)
What’s your preferred shot - straight ball, fade (big or baby), or draw (big or baby)? How did you come to figure that out? Why is it best for you?
Mid flighted fade. A gentle fade is my natural shot shape (turns into a slice on my bad swings). And a mid flight is beneficial to me playing on the windy English coast!

jmix18

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Figured out my best shot is a baby baby fade - at least off the tee. Hit 24/28 fairways this weekend with it. And my distance off the tee was much more than normal. Now I just need to believe in it on approach shots - 14/36 GIR doesn’t help the scoring!

jmix18

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mid flighted fade. A gentle fade is my natural shot shape (turns into a slice on my bad swings). And a mid flight is beneficial to me playing on the windy English coast!
Learned the fade is probably my best shot over this weekend. Much more accurate and feel like I can get through the ball easier.

bull64

Reaction score
Handicap
I tend to hit it pretty straight though sometimes I can get a slight draw on the ball. My miss is a hook (when I overswing )

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
5 (WGH)
Figured out my best shot is a baby baby fade - at least off the tee. Hit 24/28 fairways this weekend with it. And my distance off the tee was much more than normal. Now I just need to believe in it on approach shots - 14/36 GIR doesn’t help the scoring!
I think we might be a dream team - my FW hit is appalling at less than 50%. Not only that I’ve got a 2 way miss going on. But I still hit a lot of greens, go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣. With your tee shots and my approach we might be scratch or better 🤣.

JZ777

Reaction score
Handicap
Straight with irons and slight high draws with driver and woods, miss is a hook when get fast.

Blade Man

Aka- ApexFan
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Baby draw is what I’m working on. For me it’s the toughest shot for me to hit. Learning to hit it consistently will allow me to play from a better position going into the green. If I need to hit a fade I have that shot down.

GoldenBuff

Passion driven
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
This year I hit draws all day long. I prefer a fade with irons. More control, land soft. With driver I like draws, but turning over too much happens more than I like. In tighter fairways with trees or hazards I used to have a slappy fade. I could put a nice curve to it and control height. Not long, but it was bomber for tight spots. I’ve lost that. I can occassionally pop out a high fade, but it is currently 50/50 for a double cross.

tahoebum

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been working on lowering my flight with a slight draw with the driver as the turf conditions on my home course are receptive to rollout. I play every Wednesday with a 70-year-old who is a 1 index, and I'm getting tired of being outdriven by his low tee shots that run out 40+ yards, lol. He hit driver wedge on the 434 yard 9th hole last week while I was hitting 8 iron in. :)

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My preferred shot is a straight ball. Unfortunately, my typical shot is a fade. If I step on it and swing out of my shoes, it's a slice. So I try not to do that.

I'm a lefty and I figure, if my ball goes straight, then it should be in the center of the fairway. It's a new technique I'm trying this year. I'm tired of losing balls on the left side of the rough/woods. I want to play in the fairway and a straight ball path does that for me.

But what about doglegs you say? A local course I play has several doglegs. How I deal with them is to grab a shorter club to get me to the dogleg and then take another shot to make it through that to the hole. Unfortunately, this can take me 3 shots to get to the green on a par 4. And, I'm ok with that. One bad thing about this is I don't always know the distance I need to get to the dogleg so it's a guess.

This is golf for me. It's better this way.:D

jmix18

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think we might be a dream team - my FW hit is appalling at less than 50%. Not only that I’ve got a 2 way miss going on. But I still hit a lot of greens, go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣. With your tee shots and my approach we might be scratch or better 🤣.
New irons this year so still trying to figure those out. Distances are way different than my old ones so it’s a bit of a trust issue between me and them.. once I dial that in hopefully the scores will drop. Prior to putting the fade into play I was less than 50% also as the ball would run out too much.

bruceh1943

Reaction score
Handicap
I was hitting a slight fade, and now a straight ball. If I swing to fast i lose it right.

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
6.6 GHIN
Mine historically has always been a natural draw. On good days it’s baby, on bad days it’s more.

But over the last few months, I’ve put a big emphasis on being able to work the ball both ways. Lately, I’ve been playing a baby fade because I’ve learned to control it well, most notably off the tee.

Annhl8rX

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Historically my shot shape is a fade that creeps into a slice. If I just judge by my most recent round, it’s a giant pull slice. The slice part isn’t unusual, but I have no idea where the pull portion came from.

My preferred shot shape would be anything that keeps the ball in play and relatively close to the fairway/green.

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I find when I try to hit it strait I yank or hit huge slices. When I just swing I hit a fade. Best to just set up on the right side of the tee box, aim at the left edge of the fairway about where my driver would land, and then let her rip. Generally this results in my best outcomes.

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Straight ball for the most part, but have been hitting baby draws with the driver.

bbutler

2021 TEEm Tour Edge
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With irons straight to a baby draw if swing is on. Driver my normal flight is a slight fade caused by slightly open face. Working to eliminate that open face issue. Hoping to be able to control driver better this season.

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
After years and years of fading (slicing, to be more accurate), I now hit mostly right-to-left shapes of varying degrees.

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just want straight and mid high launch.

Puttmaster

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Prefer baby draws but club technology and advanced ball dynamics tend to create straight shots.

Ludin

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer baby draws, however they are slightly more then that at this time. No hooks but 8-10 yards left of aim point.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I love a draw. I feel like I know where it will go when I am hitting a draw. My swing can turn into a push fade that is just off the planet..

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am getting more comfortable hitting a fade when needed off the tee. I prefer to hit a straight shot.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in