What’s your current or preferred ball flight?

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What’s your preferred shot - straight ball, fade (big or baby), or draw (big or baby)? How did you come to figure that out? Why is it best for you?

What’s your preferred shot - straight ball, fade (big or baby), or draw (big or baby)? How did you come to figure that out? Why is it best for you?
Mid flighted fade. A gentle fade is my natural shot shape (turns into a slice on my bad swings). And a mid flight is beneficial to me playing on the windy English coast!

Figured out my best shot is a baby baby fade - at least off the tee. Hit 24/28 fairways this weekend with it. And my distance off the tee was much more than normal. Now I just need to believe in it on approach shots - 14/36 GIR doesn’t help the scoring!

Mid flighted fade. A gentle fade is my natural shot shape (turns into a slice on my bad swings). And a mid flight is beneficial to me playing on the windy English coast!
Learned the fade is probably my best shot over this weekend. Much more accurate and feel like I can get through the ball easier.

I tend to hit it pretty straight though sometimes I can get a slight draw on the ball. My miss is a hook (when I overswing )

Figured out my best shot is a baby baby fade - at least off the tee. Hit 24/28 fairways this weekend with it. And my distance off the tee was much more than normal. Now I just need to believe in it on approach shots - 14/36 GIR doesn’t help the scoring!
I think we might be a dream team - my FW hit is appalling at less than 50%. Not only that I’ve got a 2 way miss going on. But I still hit a lot of greens, go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣. With your tee shots and my approach we might be scratch or better 🤣.

Fade. It’s my natural ball flight. It’s a shot that I know I can hit and can keep in play.

Straight with irons and slight high draws with driver and woods, miss is a hook when get fast.

Baby draw is what I’m working on. For me it’s the toughest shot for me to hit. Learning to hit it consistently will allow me to play from a better position going into the green. If I need to hit a fade I have that shot down.

This year I hit draws all day long. I prefer a fade with irons. More control, land soft. With driver I like draws, but turning over too much happens more than I like. In tighter fairways with trees or hazards I used to have a slappy fade. I could put a nice curve to it and control height. Not long, but it was bomber for tight spots. I’ve lost that. I can occassionally pop out a high fade, but it is currently 50/50 for a double cross.

I've been working on lowering my flight with a slight draw with the driver as the turf conditions on my home course are receptive to rollout. I play every Wednesday with a 70-year-old who is a 1 index, and I'm getting tired of being outdriven by his low tee shots that run out 40+ yards, lol. He hit driver wedge on the 434 yard 9th hole last week while I was hitting 8 iron in. :)

My preferred shot is a straight ball. Unfortunately, my typical shot is a fade. If I step on it and swing out of my shoes, it's a slice. So I try not to do that.

I'm a lefty and I figure, if my ball goes straight, then it should be in the center of the fairway. It's a new technique I'm trying this year. I'm tired of losing balls on the left side of the rough/woods. I want to play in the fairway and a straight ball path does that for me.

But what about doglegs you say? A local course I play has several doglegs. How I deal with them is to grab a shorter club to get me to the dogleg and then take another shot to make it through that to the hole. Unfortunately, this can take me 3 shots to get to the green on a par 4. And, I'm ok with that. One bad thing about this is I don't always know the distance I need to get to the dogleg so it's a guess.

This is golf for me. It's better this way.:D

I think we might be a dream team - my FW hit is appalling at less than 50%. Not only that I’ve got a 2 way miss going on. But I still hit a lot of greens, go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣. With your tee shots and my approach we might be scratch or better 🤣.
New irons this year so still trying to figure those out. Distances are way different than my old ones so it’s a bit of a trust issue between me and them.. once I dial that in hopefully the scores will drop. Prior to putting the fade into play I was less than 50% also as the ball would run out too much.

I was hitting a slight fade, and now a straight ball. If I swing to fast i lose it right.

Mine historically has always been a natural draw. On good days it’s baby, on bad days it’s more.

But over the last few months, I’ve put a big emphasis on being able to work the ball both ways. Lately, I’ve been playing a baby fade because I’ve learned to control it well, most notably off the tee.

Historically my shot shape is a fade that creeps into a slice. If I just judge by my most recent round, it’s a giant pull slice. The slice part isn’t unusual, but I have no idea where the pull portion came from.

My preferred shot shape would be anything that keeps the ball in play and relatively close to the fairway/green.

I find when I try to hit it strait I yank or hit huge slices. When I just swing I hit a fade. Best to just set up on the right side of the tee box, aim at the left edge of the fairway about where my driver would land, and then let her rip. Generally this results in my best outcomes.

Straight ball for the most part, but have been hitting baby draws with the driver.

With irons straight to a baby draw if swing is on. Driver my normal flight is a slight fade caused by slightly open face. Working to eliminate that open face issue. Hoping to be able to control driver better this season.

After years and years of fading (slicing, to be more accurate), I now hit mostly right-to-left shapes of varying degrees.

I just want straight and mid high launch.

Prefer baby draws but club technology and advanced ball dynamics tend to create straight shots.

I prefer baby draws, however they are slightly more then that at this time. No hooks but 8-10 yards left of aim point.

I love a draw. I feel like I know where it will go when I am hitting a draw. My swing can turn into a push fade that is just off the planet..

I am getting more comfortable hitting a fade when needed off the tee. I prefer to hit a straight shot.

Back