What’s your next AW/GW - Irons match or Traditional?

I prefer a blade gap wedge. I've had a few set AW's and always find that they lack feel on partial swings for me.

I enjoy set AWs, although I may make a move to cbx wedges in that slot for my next set. Current is Apex CF16 PW, AW; CBX 54*, RTX 58*.

I could even see buying 5-9irons from a set, then rolling cbx2 in the 46, 50, 54, 58 with the accolades that they are getting from other THPers

I full swing that spot a lot so I’ve bounced back and forth with set GW or a 48-50 degree wedge there. This year I’m betting the CBX2 gets the spot, best of both worlds and by now people should stop sleeping on them!

I generally use a different GW. Right now it is a Ping Glide 2.0. With the lofts being stronger on all irons it cam]n lead to the GW being more like a PW.

Traditional. I've saved more strokes around the green with a Vokey GW then with a set full gw.

I have a Z785 GW, but I haven't bagged it. I'm gaming Vokey SM6 wedges in 52, 56, and 60. I'm not opposed to the idea of carrying the Z785, but, so far, I see no reason to change the setup.

I already had a 52° and 56° but my new iron set had a 49° GW so I added that too.

Right now the 49° and 52° are both in the bag, but I may end up dropping one of them for a hybrid or fairway at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set composition is changing from 3-PW to 4-GW/AW but the lofts are getting stronger. My new 4i is almost the same loft as my old Apex Pro 3i and I hit the new 4i a touch longer. It's a wash. It's all just numbers on a club head. Distance gap should dictate set makeup regardless of what number is printed on the head.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I was curious, so I just compared my gamers from the mid 90's, Hogan Edge GCD irons... to the Callaway Epic 2017 set I have. The Hogan's I had as a set with 2i - PW. If I compare the Edge GCD 3 iron, through the PW, it is within 1 degree of loft or the same loft, iron for iron, for the 4 iron through AW of the Callaway set. Essentially, older 3i - PW set lofts = current 4i - AW set lofts. Current sets are a full club stronger in loft.

SM8 wedges will soon be in the bag after the holidays. Always have Titleist Vokey wedges matching my Titleist irons (y)

Perfect timing for this thread. Just bought my new gap wedge today and it's the first time I've strayed from a set wedge. With a players style iron I haven't noticed any loss of versatility with a set wedge so I've just gone that way. My new set doesn't offer one so I picked up a Mizuno S18 to go with my JPX 919 Tours and think it's going to work really well.

When looking at sets I generally go with the full set from 3I-GW for no other reason than If I like the look of the set I might as well get as many of the same looking clubs I can.

Right now, I'm using a stock A/G wedge but have certainly toyed with the idea of going with a blade wedge if that's what we're calling them.

Set for me. For simple reasons.

- Have a lot of full swing gap wedge shots typically
- Gapping is more difficult/requires more clubs for me without it
- I don't use it around the green. On the rare times I use something other than my specialty wedges, the club chosen is way more likely to be an 8 or 9 than the A wedge.
- Continuity of appearance on full shots. I want a full gap wedge to look, feel, and sound just like the rest. After that the clubs get used for a much wider variety of shots so I don't care if they all look/feel/sound completely different, even from each other. They're specialty wedges, for special purposes.

Set for me. For simple reasons.

- Have a lot of full swing gap wedge shots typically
- Gapping is more difficult/requires more clubs for me without it
- I don't use it around the green. On the rare times I use something other than my specialty wedges, the club chosen is way more likely to be an 8 or 9 than the A wedge.
- Continuity of appearance on full shots. I want a full gap wedge to look, feel, and sound just like the rest. After that the clubs get used for a much wider variety of shots so I don't care if they all look/feel/sound completely different, even from each other. They're specialty wedges, for special purposes.
Same. I want continuity of feel and look as in get more to my scoring clubs.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Is it just me or do I see that more and more golfers are buying their new iron set with the matching GW/AW. I know that over the years most OEM’s in select sets have offered the option of a GW/AW but typically now it seems like a large majority offer this specialty club as just another set option in each OEM iron lineup. I am sure there are benefits of a match OEM GW/AW (head/shaft) but also from a marketing/sales side it is great way to increase irons sales from 10-20%.

I am typically a traditionalist going as high a PW in my iron set than move to the traditional specialty wedge in the GW/AW up to LW. In my wedge lineup I usually go GW (50), SW (54) then LW (58). Everyone is different in their configuration but that’s my traditional profile.

Question -when you look ahead at purchasing your next new set of irons or your most recent purchase, did you buy the matching iron set’s GW/AW and if so, why?

I try to match an iron set, including PW, GW, SW, and if available, LW,
My current set of G700 irons has no loft higher than a 54* SW. For my LW I picked up a G400 58* LW

I'm looking to move towards a set wedge on my next set.

Really not surprised that set GW are getting so popular. With set wedges moving towards a 48*-50* GW it's right at the point that people will still predominantly full swing. I mean it's right in line with 90s PWs.

The current loft progression for the z785s, mp20 mmc, jpx 919 forged are basically a loft for loft match of the ping eye2 just 7i instead of 6i. There is still a big construction difference but I'm not surprised of the popularity of 4i-GW.

My last Iron I had a set GW and was not happy with the performance. I would catch some crazy fliers and other times slid the club right under the ball. I have a 48* MD4 in that spot now and I am much happier.

If a matching GW is available, I'm almost certain to try it.

Yet, it rarely works out for me. Can't explain it, save for Armour V31 evo irons GW. That was money.

Otherwise, it's hit or miss and even the "hit" portion is precarious at best.

Gap wedge is usually a full swing club for me, so I prefer the set GW

My last few sets have matched, my last set was matching all the way down to LW and my current set goes down to SW, I actually like having most of my clubs look/feel the same and be a progressive set.

When I purchased my G25 irons years ago, I ordered the GW, SW, and LW separately, and although the specs matched, I never got used to them, and ended up trading them for G25 GW, SW, and LW. They just instilled a bit more confidence to me at address.

The set I bought this year came with a GW, which I've been quite happy with. I doubt I will change since it's worked out great for me.

I have not gone with matching gw/sw in my set until my last set.

Back