What’s your tempo?

My tempo is moderate. My transition is fairly aggressive. The latter determines what shafts fit me better than the former.

I would say moderate overall. My backswing is on the slower side with perhaps a slight pause at the top, but the downswing is on the moderate/fast spectrum. For driver, I was fit into the MMT Stiff; for irons, I was fit into the Project X 5.5 which is more of an R+ flex. With my previous irons, they launched way too high including spin that was a bit much, so my current shafts give me more penetrating flight with better distance that can still hold greens. They really do feel nice.

My tempo is moderate. My transition is fairly aggressive. The latter determines what shafts fit me better than the former.
Another reason shafts are so darn confusing!

Another reason shafts are so darn confusing!
Ya. All the soft/firm butts and tips can be a bit of a mess to figure out. Especially if you're working on any changes. I mean, let's just fast forward to the A.I., variable, adjust-to-your-swing on the fly supertech and be done with it!! :p

Very quick too fast

Forgot I had this snippet. Syslo said it was smooth, so I'll trust his judgment.

2CFE6935-36BD-4295-98FF-285B8DDF37D9.gif

I have learnt to fit my swing speed to cater for my right side even though I try to control the swing with the left side. To me it's about ensuring the right side has the time and space to deliver it's power. As it all happens within a second time frame, it feels quick to me but it looks the opposite and rhythmical on video.

moderate, found out when I was fitted for Mizuno irons.

can be said about my tempo. it is, not quick.

Deliberately moderate. Timing/rhythm/tempo is the primary thing that I work on with my swing. I'm often complimented at the range for my "smooth" or "effortless looking" swing. The key, though, is taking that same rhythm/tempo to the course for a full 18 holes ... on every shot, driver thru putter. When that happens, those are the really, really fun days. When it's off, or the speed gets out of sync ... ugh.

Last edited:
Violent.

But like a lot of people, after my best shots I'll hear how 'smooth' my swing looked. Smoothing out my tempo and transition is one of the major keys to playing well.

Idk. Probably in the deliberate/moderate range some where. Whatever it is, it's right for me.

I know if I swing too fast, or too slow on full shots, the ball flight goes poorly for me.

Based on a few training videos I have seen, a ratio of the time it takes for you to complete a backswing to your down swing should be around 3, though if this is off, someone correct me. It's hard to get an accurate number without a slow-motion video, but I'd say yours is in the ballpark.

I need to slow my backswing down. My tee game has been poor lately so this is an area I am focusing on.
l think your right l was tested not long ago apparently over a number of swings , my tempo number was almost duliocate each time 🏌🏼 ......3

3:1 ... that's where it is when I hit my best shots. If it drops to 2.8:1 my shots start going awry. If it goes to 3.2:1 my shots start going awry.

I think of mine as fast but all my golf buddies tell me it's definitely not fast. I don't like to see my swing on video but when I have it looks like a medium tempo.

This thread has me going back to the Tour Tempo app and it proves to me that tempo is a big deal. My tempo is more brisk and my ball striking is much better.

I saw a video posted here of Kyle Berkshire working with Bryson DeChambeau on ball speed and club head speed. What really stuck with me was when Kyle Berkshire told him to let the shaft load at the top of the swing. I have really focused on that as I know I had a tendency to get too quick and rush into the downswing. So now I use a moderate tempo focus on not rushing into the downswing think about that advice let it load and then get aggressive in the downswing. It has helped me drive the ball better than ever. Love that tip.BECC5732-0E06-4353-8946-917D4F8075B6.png

I try and make my tempo smooth, but I am not really sure. I do have a nice slow backswing.

i would say mine is erratically something. no idea how the fitter decided to put me in the shafts that i'm in (driver and 3w wise, that is)...

Mines aggressive but I’m trying to work on a more moderate tempo. I tend to have much better control when I slow down and swing more smoothly.

People say smooth. It feels slow af. Video is somewhere in the middle. Lol.

View attachment 9012686
Yours seems a bit on the slow side. Shows as about 27/9 or maybe 30/10 on the Tour Tempo app. The first beat of tempo actually begins a split second before the initial move back, making it a bit difficult to sync the app to the video exactly.

For the record, I tried it a number of times by pausing the video just before you start your takeaway. I then start the tones for a specific tempo on the app. After hearing the 3-beat tones play over and over a few times, I have the rhythm in my head. I then hit the "play" button on the video a split second before the app's first tone of the 3-tone sequence sounds. I tried it with all the different tempos, but it is clear the 27/9 or 30/10 fits best. More likely 27/9. I'm confident I am getting it fairly close. It's also the tempo I use for my irons (I'm 24/8 with driver), so based on my familiarity with that speed, yours feels the same as mine. Not scientific, but when I try it against the faster speed tempos, it's clearly not a fit.

Don't know if this helps you but figured I'd let you know.

Back