What age is old in golf?

What age is old in golf?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 37 86.0%

• Total voters
I'm 55 and climbing, still playing the whites. But I feel old after 4 straight days (walking), the body needs a day off or use a cart. So as long as body can take it there is no 'too old'.

When I first started playing golf at pitch and putts, I regularly played along side 70 year old golfers. As a young teenager I learnt so much about the history of the game and the fundimentals which I cherish to this moment. I plan on playing golf into my 70's or as long as my back holds up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked 70. I'll be 70 later this year and seems age is starting to take it's toll. Arthritis is getting my feet so walking 18 is very hard now, can't walk a long course. Doctor seems to think I've some kidney problems so may miss a few rounds this year. Not all doom and gloom, got a new driver about six months ago that has done wonders. Also made a change in set up that has increased distance 15 to 20 yards so driving a little longer than ever. Most people I play with are older than me, several between 85 and 90, and all still enjoy the game.

You are never too old in golf. It's about the fire that burns within. I thank God everyday for the burn.

I picked 70 because it was the highest one. I'm not sure there really is a definition for old in golf. I'm 50 now, but I hit the ball farther than I did in my twenties. I sometimes wonder how much stronger I'm going to get.

The old dude I play with who is 75 hits it pretty darn far for his age. Hell he hits it as far as I do and farther most of the time. I can catch my best solid drive of the day and I'm looking at him 10 yards above me !!! The coot is 10 years older than me!

Lee's dad is 91, and plays 3 days a week. I'm using that as my goal till I get there. Then I'll adjust to a new goal.

Lee's dad is 91, and plays 3 days a week. I'm using that as my goal till I get there. Then I'll adjust to a new goal.

I hear ya partner!

This year I am closer to 70 than 60. My son and I try to play once a week. I try to go to the range 2 or 3 times a week and hit 2-3 large buckets. Range is more for exercise than improvement. Started playing from the "old guys" tees last month.

My son and I play match play. He used to give me 5 strokes from the white tees. We would swap victories. Since I moved up, I don't take strokes. Haven't beaten him in this format yet, but when I do.......

The cool thing about golf is you can play it for a lifetime, we have many over 70 year olds that play regularly at my home course, and some shoot quite well, others don't even want to move up tees! I hope I can play that much and as well when I'm their age!!!

How old is too old? Who knows? I am just happy to get out and tee it up, sometimes I play pretty well and most times I play OK, then there are the sucky times. I really I don't care if others are pitying this old man out there playing old man golf because I am having fun and enjoying time with friends. You are only as old as you feel and when I play the senior tees I don't feel old at all.

What age is old in golf?

Never too old.

Higher than 70, I've known a couple of guys Mr. Mac playing at 88 and Claude until he was 92. Mr. Mac was walking the course every day when he wasn't cruising. Finally, he quit golf to live on a cruise ship, he was hired to dance with the single ladies on board. Claude would practice putting with his broomstick putter anytime he wasn't playing. I aspire to be like both men who never thought about retiring to the rocking chair.

There is no age to be old for golf.

There is an old guy at my range that used to be the "pro" he's still addicted and trying to improve.

I'm going to have to play til Ivm in my 90s if I want to shoot my age. I'll soon be 68 and am the oldest in my regular group. I still play from the "men's" tee but the longer par 4's are becoming an issue. I occasionly play with an 88 year old gentleman who amazes me. Time to put extra work into the short game GIR+1 and 1 putt. I won't stop playing until I can no longer swing a club. Now wheres that sand hybrid?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have a lodge brother who is 96, WWII Vet, plays regularly. Often shoots better than his age.

Love my father for introducing me (when he and my mom joined local club) to the game 57 years ago. He has played nonstop since then...always with a bad back, wounded three different times in the WWII, 44-year career after War...only plays 9-holes now but still can shoot in lower 40's on a good day...turns 90 next month so I guess you could say he "shoots his age". Truly an inspiration to all who know him.

Yep, timeless game where age is concerned. I think playing golf keeps you moving and in doing that it helps you stay healthy later into life. Golf Canada magazine had a whole article on it last year and they had a bunch of doctors comment on all the good things golf does for you. Seems that as you age golf provides a near perfect kind of exercise to help you stay healthy.

It's awesome to hear everybody say that golf is a tonic like the fountain of youth . Stay young at heart and keep ya motor ruining

Thinking of this thread today while talking to Dad ( he's 86), I asked him if he thought he was too old to play golf, knowing full well what he would say..."eff off you little sh$t" ... Followed by a 5 minute rant of all the stuff he does and it doesn't matter how old he is. I about,peed myself listening to him it was so funny. He is a classic!

Thinking of this thread today while talking to Dad ( he's 86), I asked him if he thought he was too old to play golf, knowing full well what he would say..."eff off you little sh$t" ... Followed by a 5 minute rant of all the stuff he does and it doesn't matter how old he is. I about,peed myself listening to him it was so funny. He is a classic!

Sounds like my kind of friend right there!

When you're dead, then you're too old to play golf.

I will defer to v-man on this question, a 3 time thp hall of famer and a golfer who can hang with the young bucks enjoying a cocktail in the hotel room. I will let him tell what is old for a golfer.....lol

I don't think there is an age to be classed as too old for golf to be honest. As long as you can swing a club and keep moving the ball forward then why shouldn't you enjoy the game

I hope to be playing for a lot of years yet until my body can't manage it

Back