What Are Some Great Graphite Shafts to Use For Wedges.

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I'm gonna be looking for some graphite shafts to reshaft some wedges I'm buying from Bettinardi. Looking for something other than UST Recoils or Graphic Design Tour AD? Shaft weight must be around 85 grams. What choices does that give me?

PX Catalyst 80s. 85g weight. Currently use them in my MD5 wedges and love them!

Maybe the Recoil Smacwrap ES 780 in F4, they are 86 grams I believe. Great shafts. I played them in my Cobra Forged Tec Black set and they were solid. I currently play Recoil 95 F3 and 95 Prototypes in my wedges and personally don’t see noticeable difference between the regular F3 and the Prototypes but am a high ball hitter with most clubs but can flight the ball down when required, although far from perfect.

PX Catalyst 80s. 85g weight. Currently use them in my MD5 wedges and love them!

That was my answer as well. I've got them in my Wilsons and when I get my new Sub 70 wedges, that's what I'll spec them with.

Recoil 110's F4 or F5 (y)

Unlike others. I read the OP so will not give you Recoil shafts. But since you don't want them, I have nothing.

Little heavier than you were looking for. I have steelfiber i95s in my sm8 wedges as well as my forge tec irons.

A friend of mine who plays irons in that range plays Accra iCWT's in his wedges and really likes them. 95's. Not sure if they make 85's. He wore out a wedge in the fall and had me swap a new head onto one. Had to find a picture to remember what it was. They're not near my normal shaft but I've swung them some and thought the feel was pretty good. :confused2:

I'm gonna be looking for some graphite shafts to reshaft some wedges I'm buying from Bettinardi. Looking for something other than UST Recoils or Graphic Design Tour AD? Shaft weight must be around 85 grams. What choices does that give me?

Aren't those lite weight shafts going to screw with your swing weights?

Accra has an iWedge90. 90g. They make great shafts. Haven't played the wedge shafts as I still like steel from Gap to Lob but I play the wood and iron shafts.

Mitsubishi OT 85 or Accra iWedge SPI 90

Aerotech SteelFiber FC 80 or 90

Aren't those lite weight shafts going to screw with your swing weights?

Accra has an iWedge90. 90g. They make great shafts. Haven't played the wedge shafts as I still like steel from Gap to Lob but I play the wood and iron shafts.

The shafts weights are what was suggested for my wedges from my CC fittings. I haven't had a problems with them either with swing weight.

The shafts weights are what was suggested for my wedges from my CC fittings. I haven't had a problems with them either with swing weight.

Good luck.

I always go heavier from 54-60. Did you have a wedge fitting? Maybe you are fortunate. But I've always found that a heavier feel helps with all of those partials around the green - more rhythm and tempo with a heavier shaft.

Oh, the Accra above is 90g. Not a well known company for the masses because they do no OEM.

Yes, I did have a wedge fitting.

At my CC fitting, they only had one graphite shaft for me to hit in wedges. It was a steelfiber something. I am not a big fan of steelfiber in irons, but it felt very good in wedges. Biggest thing for me with wedge shafts is weight. I like lower flight and such, but on partials and little touch shots I like to feel the club and the sensation of letting the mass of the club drop on the ball. With lighter shafts that's a harder feel for me. On full shots I can adapt to a lot of wedge shafts as long as I'm hitting them straight. Good luck picking. I am trying to do the same thing. I think my approach will be to guess and test.

Yes, I did have a wedge fitting.

I just can't imagine an 85g wedge shaft. Lightest I've done is Nippon 105, which is about 112g. I now use 132g -Nippon 125 in 54-60. My irons are 95g graphite. I hope it works. Those Betts are beautiful wedges.

I've had at least 3 wedge fittings - Edel, Titleist, and every time I buy a wedge, I put it on Trackman and my instructor grinds it a bit for more spin/better contact.

Back