What are you building? (Club style)

Looking good Dan. What type of epoxy you use? Both the golf shops around me said araldite is ok for club building, do you guys agree?

I use the golfworks shafting epoxy. High impact adhesive. Not really sure about alternatives, I just go with what I know works.

Minus quickset epoxy. I refuse to use that.

I use the golfworks shafting epoxy. High impact adhesive. Not really sure about alternatives, I just go with what I know works.

Minus quickset epoxy. I refuse to use that.

The shop I go to for things in a fix only uses and sells that stuff. They can use it because they do it every day and have for years. The amount of time it takes for it to cure is ironically enough the exact amount of time it takes me to completely forget what I'm doing and all ability to do it correctly. The longer curing/bonding stuff is so much less stressful, especially when OCD kicks in and that shaft label just isn't quite lined up right.

The shop I go to for things in a fix only uses and sells that stuff. They can use it because they do it every day and have for years. The amount of time it takes for it to cure is ironically enough the exact amount of time it takes me to completely forget what I'm doing and all ability to do it correctly. The longer curing/bonding stuff is so much less stressful, especially when OCD kicks in and that shaft label just isn't quite lined up right.

Quick set epoxy has failed on me three times in the same shaft, and I've seen it fail numerous other times.

I just don't trust it. Give me the extra day to let things dry and I'm all kinds of confidence in the bond.

Completion of 7 irons. Wooot!

The spoils of war and a Stella reward. Now to decide whether the putter gets a new grip tonight.

e3a8u2uz.jpg

Quick set epoxy has failed on me three times in the same shaft, and I've seen it fail numerous other times.

I just don't trust it. Give me the extra day to let things dry and I'm all kinds of confidence in the bond.

Don't blame you. Even though it's quick set, I still give it a day. The failures have typically come from not using enough epoxy, or not a good enough removal of old epoxy in a pull. When I use enough and the shaft is clean though, I really haven't had any problems.

Don't blame you. Even though it's quick set, I still give it a day. The failures have typically come from not using enough epoxy, or not a good enough removal of old epoxy in a pull. When I use enough and the shaft is clean though, I really haven't had any problems.

Wasn't my build, and I waited three days.

The spoils of war and a Stella reward. Now to decide whether the putter gets a new grip tonight.

e3a8u2uz.jpg

I don't see any clubs...

Clubs are hanging out in the corner. 9 and PW are the red ferrules. Oh well, I used what I had haha!

dasyqe8a.jpg

Looking good, I have done more than a couple sets with mismatched ferrules because they were available and I was just testing

Looking good, I have done more than a couple sets with mismatched ferrules because they were available and I was just testing

haha thanks man. That's exactly what I'm doing. Getting my test on to see how these suit me. Have yet to play DPCs with DG shafts in them.

And I am EXCITED!!!!

haha thanks man. That's exactly what I'm doing. Getting my test on to see how these suit me. Have yet to play DPCs with DG shafts in them.

And I am EXCITED!!!!

I can only imagine. I've yet to play the DPCS at all, but I'm gonna change that soon.

Going to be a mix of ferrules for this one. Not enough of either to run throughout the set and I don't have the patience to wait for a purchase to ship haha!!

ara3uty7.jpg

(Apologies for brief thread jack...) The J40 series irons are just great looking irons, both the DPC and CB. (Back on topic) I have some 695CB heads that I have been procrastinating building; probably should go ahead and get it done.

Waiting on new shafts for my 5 Deep and hybrid, should arrive tomorrow.

So I will just ask this question here since there are a lot of home club builders here.

Is there an easy way to take off the old ferrule from a pull? Been thinking about this and not really sure how I would go about it.

So I will just ask this question here since there are a lot of home club builders here.

Is there an easy way to take off the old ferrule from a pull? Been thinking about this and not really sure how I would go about it.

Heat it up about 2 seconds with butane torch then I use a box cutter to cut it off

I heated mine and pulled them off. Used a hook blade on a couple but for many, it wasn't even necessary.

Heat it up about 2 seconds with butane torch then I use a box cutter to cut it off

I know this may seem a little naive but the ferrule won't melt to the shaft will it?

Does one swipe with a box cutter free it up enough to remove it?

I know this may seem a little naive but the ferrule won't melt to the shaft will it?

Worst case you have to scrape a little off with a utility knife. No big deal.

Not at all. You give it just enough heat to make it soft. Usually one swipe then you can just pull it off with your hands

Just rebuilt a hybrid over the weekend. AMP Cell 3 with VTS Silver shaft. Here is my current build ponder. Either pulling the FlexLoft adapter off of the Kusala Black and throwing an AMP Cell adapter on that, while using the FlexLoft adapter on a different shaft. Or just ordering another adapter for that shaft. Part of me is thinking that the KB worked well for me in the SuperTri, makes me think it might work well in the AMP Cell.

Thanks guys. I plan on starting tonight and pulling my S+ from my MBs and then doing just one Apex pro to see how well it goes.

e3a8u2uz.jpg

That table serves many purposes! Looking forward to seeing these in the bag soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I plan on starting tonight and pulling my S+ from my MBs and then doing just one Apex pro to see how well it goes.

It's easy, go slow, heat is your friend. You shouldn't have to "pull" the heads off, they should slide off. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask

Once I get the parts and pieces I'm planing on reshafting my 712 AP2 with a 120g C-Taper and then building my Di project once the head gets here with a C-Taper Lite 110g.

Back