What are you building? (Club style)

20200718_192245.jpg

@MikeF asked me to post a picture of what I'm up to with the clubs, and I forgot I had.

Club building, when you're temporarily living in an apartment, and it's too hot to hang out in one of your job trailers and do it, is hard. 😕

Swapping into some soft stepped AMT white X100 in my apex combo, stole/swapped out a bunch of wedge shafts, putting the $ tapers on the Forged Tec for a guy, taking the black AMT whites off for some Titleists I plan to have soon, and Tour Vs back into the CF19s.

Inside the apt. looks way worse. My wife is a saint.

And I will be playing chrome shafts on Monday for the first time in a looong time. Lol

Last edited:
View attachment 8954064

@MikeF asked me to post a picture of what I'm up to with the clubs, and I forgot I had.

Club building, when you're temporarily living in an apartment, and it's too hot to hang out in one of your job trailers and do it, is hard. 😕

Swapping into some soft stepped AMT white X100 in my apex combo, stole/swapped out a bunch of wedge shafts, putting the $ tapers on the Forged Tec for a guy, taking the black AMT whites off for some Titleists I plan to have soon, and Tour Vs back into the CF19s.

Inside the apt. looks way worse. My wife is a saint.

And I will be playing chrome shafts on Monday for the first time in a looong time. Lol

Looks like you've got your hands full.

Reshafted my Apex 19 4h from AMT White X100 to HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.0.

Put 12 adapters on shafts today for some upcoming testing

20200802_155446.jpg

Because this is what you do when you unexpectedly grab a sweet wedge for a great price with a non-matching shaft for the set it's going with. You hunt for one in your leftover shaft pile, grab something to watch the tournament on, and get to work! :p

Well.....

I just learned why folks own shaft pullers.

Tried (manually) heating and pulling an adapter from my Ventus shaft and discovered that graphite tips can melt and fray! Uggg..... o_O:oops::oops:
So much for a driver shaft. It is now a new 5 wood shaft! LOL. Trying to make lemonade out of my lemons. Super bummed, but lesson learned and will be looking to purchase a shaft puller. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Well.....

Tried (manually) heating and pulling an adapter from my Ventus shaft and discovered that graphite tips can melt and fray! Uggg..... o_O:oops::oops:
So much for a driver shaft. It is now a new 5 wood shaft! LOL. Trying to make lemonade out of my lemons. Super bummed, but lesson learned and will be looking to purchase a shaft puller. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ooooof.

Gotta hit that YouTube before the next project!!

Well.....

We have a video with @Canadan talking with a shaft expert (Oly) about heat. It takes very little heat to alter a golf shaft and its why buying used is a tough task to know what you are getting.

We have a video with @Canadan talking with a shaft expert (Oly) about heat. It takes very little heat to alter a golf shaft and its why buying used is a tough task to know what you are getting.
Dummy me....lesson learned. I started learning club building because the big box store guys don't treat my gear with the respect I'd like it to get. All good. Lesson learned. I know I need to invest in the proper equipment. It is VERY apparent now. Luckily I think I salvaged the shaft for my fw, which I actually figured it might work well in anyway.
LOL.....I'm trying to talk myself into being ok with this! lol

Ooooof.

Gotta hit that YouTube before the next project!!
Yes. I did actually. Clearly I didn't watch enough videos. I also used a heat gun, which maybe wasn't ideal? I dunno.

Anywho....dummy me. Won't happen again.

Dummy me....lesson learned. I started learning club building because the big box store guys don't treat my gear with the respect I'd like it to get. All good. Lesson learned. I know I need to invest in the proper equipment. It is VERY apparent now. Luckily I think I salvaged the shaft for my fw, which I actually figured it might work well in anyway.
LOL.....I'm trying to talk myself into being ok with this! lol

You will get there. By some cheap shafts for practice and go to town.

Yes. I did actually. Clearly I didn't watch enough videos. I also used a heat gun, which maybe wasn't ideal? I dunno.

Anywho....dummy me. Won't happen again.
like a torch, or a heat gun?

Using a heat gun has never been an issue for me, but you absolutely have to keep the heat moving and use a puller to avoid fraying.

like a torch, or a heat gun?

Using a heat gun has never been an issue for me, but you absolutely have to keep the heat moving and use a puller to avoid fraying.

Yeah Dan...I didn't use a puller. The puller was my hand wrapped around the adapter with a glove on! LOL....not a smart move in hindsight.

Delighted to report my Ventus works very well in my Sim. Grateful I didnt destroy it. Feels great in the fwimage.jpg
image.jpg

Hey all, may I ask for a recommendation on a shaft extractor/puller?

I know JB loves Mitchel brand, but is there perhaps an excellent less costly option? I'm not trying to cheap out thats for sure, just looking for bang for the buck.....if thats a mitchel then so be it, I'll buy one. Cheers!

I know JB loves Mitchel brand, but is there perhaps an excellent less costly option? I'm not trying to cheap out thats for sure, just looking for bang for the buck.....if thats a mitchel then so be it, I'll buy one. Cheers!

Golfworks has great products and carries Golf Mechnix stuff as well they all work great.

For bending and lie angles.

My shaft extractor is Golf Mechanix reverse thrust.

For bending and lie angles.

My shaft extractor is Golf Mechanix reverse thrust.

That one is pretty costly. May I ask - what are the advantages of this model over less costly ones, in your experience?

That one is pretty costly. May I ask - what are the advantages of this model over less costly ones, in your experience?

Instead of pushing it pulls to extract.
In my experience, the reason I went this route was it allowed me to use less heat.

The reverse thrust is a Cadillac model of extractors, but is a luxury not likely a necessity depends on the frequency you plan to use it. There are as cheap as $20 on eBay for a crude operation or as much $2000 for a Golf Instruments Puller (Almost art not a tool). There are also hydraulic types from Billy Bobs Golf if that’s a route you want to pursue.

Back