What are you building? (Club style)

If my GW order gets here in a timely fashion today, I'll glue up my Utility iron project with my C-Taper Lite today and it cure over night with the hope of maybe using tomorrow afternoon.

And it came in a timely fashion!! Shim in, C-Taper Lite in the UI head and curing up as we speak..

Also been doing a little paint fill work as well...see the paint fill thread tools for that project.

So I have a question gents. Would scuffing up a steel shaft and then painting it black actually work? Has anyone tried this? I have a scotty I that I recently got back in rough condition and im going to paint the head flat black and was curious if I could do that same to the shaft. Basically a cheaper alternative to the custom shop and buying a new shaft as I just put a SS grip on it.

So I have a question gents. Would scuffing up a steel shaft and then painting it black actually work? Has anyone tried this? I have a scotty I that I recently got back in rough condition and im going to paint the head flat black and was curious if I could do that same to the shaft. Basically a cheaper alternative to the custom shop and buying a new shaft as I just put a SS grip on it.

It could, but check out Vibrant Golf. IIRC you can get a black shaft for about $40

Well I did put the C-taper S+ back into my i20 irons. This time I soft stepped them twice according to a shaft flex guide that brings the flex really close to stiff but with the weight of the S+. the S+ standard was a little stout for me and I did not want to buy a whole new iron set. The main reason for the swap was to have a little better shaft for my swing.

I held off on doing anything with my i25's until I decided whether to sell them as is and game the i20 again or re-shaft to the best fit after my club champion fitting. In the fitting the C-taper was not bad--just not optimal. He ended up fitting me for the Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s. I have not fully decided if I will put them in the i20 or in the i25 yet.

Had to do an emergency repair on my AP1 6 iron since the head almost came off on Saturday. Always an interesting feeling at impact.

Also, tipped and installed a White Tie in my XHot 4w.

Very nice. Love that flat black paintjob.

Thanks Hawk!

Tonight I removed some seriously old Winn grips from a set of Hogan irons tonight! I forgot how nasty the original wrap grips breakdown over time. They had started to liquify! The clubs are clean now, just waiting to get some grips for them now.

2 sm5 wedges are getting kbs tour installed

Recoils came in today so when i get out of work they will be going in my j40 dpcs with white ferrules and blue utx grips. Excited to get these together and hit them!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Picture of the finished product just in time for indy.
azy9yzu7.jpg

They are slightly shorter than stock but have at them or anything in my bag

They are slightly shorter than stock but have at them or anything in my bag

Sounds good...almost makes me want to bring my dpc's haven't hit them this year yet

So I have been experimenting ... I am sure I can re shaft, but how do know what shaft is right for me?

Have to to admit what little playing around I have done has been a blast!

So I have been experimenting ... I am sure I can re shaft, but how do know what shaft is right for me?

Have to to admit what little playing around I have done has been a blast!

A fitting is the best way to know

The i25's got the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 in them yesterday and I played with them today. I am thinking this is a good fit so far. I also got a Kuro Kage type 70x Proto TiNi shaft for the driver and installed the tip for the i25 driver. Took it out cold to play with and really needed to dial it in more--did that at the range after

cut a covert shaft down to 44.5. Going to take it out on the course tomorrow for some testing.

How'd it go?

I'm out of things to mess with right now sort of. Wishing I had a 3h head to build a club with.

Need to pull the CTL from my Baffler 3h and put the stock shaft back into it.

For some reason I've had trouble pulling some shafts using my wife's heat gun for crafts (I know it gets PLENTY hot so it's probably technique).

Makes me wonder if I should get the propane instead.

Kai'Li 65 going into a Fast 12LS head.

I need more time with that 44.5 shaft. Range time will be needed with it. I didn't have the best swing the other day so I'm not taking anything from that.

Also I mentioned in the Pondering thread, I have a Ret Tie coming so I need to finalize what that is going in to.

I have just gotten into club building recently after doing a couple shafts for a golfing buddy of mine that was kind enough to be my guinea pig. After I saw how easy it was, I ended up getting a few more things to help me do my own work( ferrule kit, 48" ruler and a Robert's shaft puller....). I was already thinking of putting graphite shafts in my irons since I have been getting soreness in my left elbow and forearm when I play a lot of golf. I emailed the pro over at UST and got some suggestions for their Recoil shafts plus the review thread I read here on THP. I ended up getting 3 Recoil 680 F4 shafts from Golfsmith during there Memorial Day sale to test out. So far I have soft tipped x1 my 5 iron and soft tipped x2 my 6 iron to see which one I liked better. I just got back from the range today and as of right now I am leaning towards soft stepping them x1 as I am getting a nice flight out of them and possibly a little more distance too!!! I am going back to the range tomorrow to confirm my findings before I end up doing the rest of the set.

Back