What are you building? (Club style)

Kang they look amazing. Im really digging that grip and white ferrule combo.

Ordered four .365 bushings from Mitchell and will be building at least a couple Orlimar Trimetals soon. Hopefully this week. Will start with a 3w and then a 21° 7w. Got a stupid deal on the heads, which makes sense I guess since they are 15 years old, but they are in mint shape. Very reminiscent of the Bobby Jones clubs in profile, but about $380 less. I'm cheap and like to put stuff together, so it will be a fun experiment. Not sure about shafts yet, but likely a Matrix Velox in one and whatever I can find laying around in the other. Maybe a NVS.

Ordered four .365 bushings from Mitchell and will be building at least a couple Orlimar Trimetals soon. Hopefully this week. Will start with a 3w and then a 21° 7w. Got a stupid deal on the heads, which makes sense I guess since they are 15 years old, but they are in mint shape. Very reminiscent of the Bobby Jones clubs in profile, but about $380 less. I'm cheap and like to put stuff together, so it will be a fun experiment. Not sure about shafts yet, but likely a Matrix Velox in one and whatever I can find laying around in the other. Maybe a NVS.

That sounds absolutely stupid awesome. Loved loved loved my original Trimetal 3W. Had a steel shaft and everything. Can't imagine how awesome that head would be in one of the new incredible graphite shafts that are out there.

That sounds absolutely stupid awesome. Loved loved loved my original Trimetal 3W. Had a steel shaft and everything. Can't imagine how awesome that head would be in one of the new incredible graphite shafts that are out there.

Hoping so. The 7w is really the one that I'm interested in. If I could get similar performance to the Black hybrid with about 15 yards more distance I'd be a happy camper.

Once our house is completed and I have a bit more of our carport storage room to myself, I plan to set up a work bench where I can hopefully do some work on clubs. I picked up my project putter a couple of weeks ago (Odyssey White Steel #1) and plan to do some work on it. It's 1" shorter than my gamer, so I'll likely add an inch to it, slap on a new grip and possibly experiment with some custom paint filling. It's possible I may even do something for the top line to help reduce glare since that is the biggest gripe I have about my gamer.

Picked up my grips today and was finally able to finish my first re shaft. It went well. We will see how it goes when I take them to the range tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some quick club work to do tonight.

Pull a shaft from a classic 290 head so I can ship it out to Sox Fan.
Install VTS Silver in X2 Hot hybrid.

Got to fix my 8i tonight. The head started spinning on the range yesterday.

Started putting this together last night
fe95c0c59bd0450aae0f5f7cf3cf3a9b.jpg

36fb48795ba9e822ede07f39bc673058.jpg

that's going to be a sweet looking combo adam

Some quick club work to do tonight.

Pull a shaft from a classic 290 head so I can ship it out to Sox Fan.
Install VTS Silver in X2 Hot hybrid.

I want to hit the X2 Hot hybrid/VTS combo in a bad way.

I want to hit the X2 Hot hybrid/VTS combo in a bad way.

I think it will be a good one. I like the stock shaft that's in it. But just want to see what happens when I throw in a shaft that I know performs well for me.

I think it will be a good one. I like the stock shaft that's in it. But just want to see what happens when I throw in a shaft that I know performs well for me.

Having the J40's with that shaft back in the bag was just what I needed. I like the Cobra's but there is something about that shaft for me. I liked the x2 hot in stock form but there was something missing for me. The VTS shaft may be that thing.

Having the J40's with that shaft back in the bag was just what I needed. I like the Cobra's but there is something about that shaft for me. I liked the x2 hot in stock form but there was something missing for me. The VTS shaft may be that thing.

I have my J40 4h in the bag still with that shaft. I dont' carry a 5 iron any more. Just absolutely love that head/shaft combo.

I have my J40 4h in the bag still with that shaft. I dont' carry a 5 iron any more. Just absolutely love that head/shaft combo.

5 irons are overrated. I am in the same boat.

I think that VTS was a totally underrated shaft. It caught a little buzz when it first came out, but that seemed to fizzle out quickly. Darn good shaft line with a lot of options to suit a wide range of players.

I think that VTS was a totally underrated shaft. It caught a little buzz when it first came out, but that seemed to fizzle out quickly. Darn good shaft line with a lot of options to suit a wide range of players.

Best hybrid shaft I have played hands down and I have played quite a few.

This last weekend I built up the Tour Preferred MC/MB Combo heads I got from Zenger with the Modus130 Stiff shafts I found in the garbage can at Riviera CC and took them out to test against my Cleveland 588MB set with the Modus130s I've had for about a year now. MC/MB seems like they may stay in the bag. The 4i was stupid cheater style easy to hit. Had a couple in the 215y range with little to no effort.

Built my Orlimar Trimetal 7W last night. Came out to 41.5 inches, which is quite short by today's standards. Actually, I think it's short by Orlimar's standards from 1998 too, but finding specs from then is very difficult. Swingweighted to D2 with some tape since it was in the C8 range after assembly.

Bushing worked like a charm. You coat it with epoxy, install in the hosel, then epoxy the shaft and just put it in there. Used a .335 wood ferrule and it fit perfectly. Shafted with a Fubuki something or other from an old club. First outing this weekend.

What's considered normal length for that club by today's standards Hawk?

I just measured my 7w pre and post MC and they're 41.5 and 42in so they're right in line with yours. The Orlimar head though I bet frames the ball great and looks like it's easy to hit off the deck no problem

What's considered normal length for that club by today's standards Hawk?

I just measured my 7w pre and post MC and they're 41.5 and 42in so they're right in line with yours. The Orlimar head though I bet frames the ball great and looks like it's easy to hit off the deck no problem

I want to say 42 is pretty normal these days. I think (based on looking at some lengths of other Trimetals) that the original length was 41.75. That's not verified though.

It does fram the ball well. A little different looking at address than the Bobby J Black, but still looks very hittable. If all goes as hoped, it will be almost as easy to hit as the 25° hybrid, fly as high as the hybrid, but go farther.

So i have lamkin crossline cords which are 54g. I want to increase the swing weight a couple points. So what are some good grip options in the 35 to 40g range?

Could not get out and play today so I did a little club work. Pulled and saved my Golf Pride NDMC's and installed THP Pure Grips. Also added matching ferrules

Played a round with my new XP 105s and no heads flew off! Was a fun project and feels pretty cool to play something you put together. Just one round out, first time playing them, has me wondering what I'm missing not looking at different shafts in other clubs...

Could not get out and play today so I did a little club work. Pulled and saved my Golf Pride NDMC's and installed THP Pure Grips. Also added matching ferrules

Where did you get those ferrules? They look amazing

Back