What are you building? (Club style)

So how hard, or not recommended is it to pull a driver adapter off of a shaft without a shaft puller? Only place within an hour of me is DSG and I trust myself more than them with an expensive shaft.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Hard enough its not worth risking the shaft. The adapter has to come STRAIGHT off with ZERO twisting or the tip of the shaft will fray. I tried it long long long long ago thinking "oh it can't be that hard, who needs a puller" and ruined a rather expensive, at the time, shaft. Not worth the risk if it's a shaft you want to keep and reuse.

Yea that's all the convincing I needed to not touch the tour ad di.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am buying a new house with a shop room in the basement and I want to outfit it to do golf club work. I don't feel like going back through so what equipment should I get?

I am buying a new house with a shop room in the basement and I want to outfit it to do golf club work. I don't feel like going back through so what equipment should I get?

Really depends on what type of work you want to do. Shaft puller would be nice, heat gun, swing weight scale (if that is important to you), club ruler. Those would all be nice for start. I am hoping to put a bench in my garage soon so I can start doing work out there instead of dirtying up my office.

A chop saw, butane torch, air compressor are some equipment if you get serious about club work. Relatively cheap too

I am still trying to mess around to get a bottle jack made up to be a shaft puller, but I keep thinking I should just buy a puller because I don't want a hodge-podge setup that I built destroying a shaft on me.

To pull heads off shafts you need:
- A shaft puller--get something that is a vise also. I strongly recommend a Roberts
- A butane torch

To prep shafts for install you need:
- At minimum sandpaper, better is a sanding wheel on a dremel, best is a small belt sander

To prep heads for install you need:
- A reamer of some kind (it's like a drill bit) in various shaft sizes
- A power drill. Hand-held works fine, drill press + club head vise is best.

For club length you need:
- A tape measure works. A club ruler is best.
- At minimum a small pipe or shaft cutter. Better is a dremel. Best is a small chop saw.

For swing weighting you need:
- A swing weight scale
- A selection of weights

To install heads into shafts you need:
- Golf club epoxy. You can use the 1 hour stuff, but the overnight stuff is better
- Something to mix into the epoxy for centering--you can use sand, or there's a special product for it
- Shims if necessary
- Ferrules
- A vise

To remove grips you need:
- A hook-bladed utility knife
- Goo-gone or something like that to remove tape residue

To install grips you need:
- An air compressor and a grip air gun if you want to blow them on
- Grip tape, solvent, and a catch pan if you want to do it the "traditional" way
- A vise

With all of the above, you can start buying used clubs and putting in different shafts, building clubs from parts, etc.

I am still trying to mess around to get a bottle jack made up to be a shaft puller, but I keep thinking I should just buy a puller because I don't want a hodge-podge setup that I built destroying a shaft on me.

Have you considered using a quick grip clamp (or any clamp for that matter) that can be reversed to use as a spreader? A bottle jack would be a be a bit extreme for the task, if inexpensive.

The Pony 53 is a possibility:

56_zoom.jpg

Didn't want to create a thread for this selfish request, so posting here :angel::

About to undertake a iron set reshafting project (steel shafts). NYC shop wants $40/club to pull shafts, put in new ones and adjust swingweight. I can do everything at home but the swingweight adjustment. Wondering if there are any super-kind NYC-area guys with tools and space and knowhow that would want to get together for an hour or two and knock this out with me. Would be more than happy to work something out :drinks:

Didn't want to create a thread for this selfish request, so posting here :angel::

About to undertake a iron set reshafting project (steel shafts). NYC shop wants $40/club to pull shafts, put in new ones and adjust swingweight. I can do everything at home but the swingweight adjustment. Wondering if there are any super-kind NYC-area guys with tools and space and knowhow that would want to get together for an hour or two and knock this out with me. Would be more than happy to work something out :drinks:

I just used a cheaper swingweight scale when i did my speedblades:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.as...VZIjP3AqFumDTJhssiGirqtKaZ8UlOV7EgaAkeG8P8HAQ

I was going to try tip weights but ended up just using lead tape. Not quite as pretty, but way easier.

I have that same one. As long as you're on a level surface you're good. Don't forget to include the grip in the swing weighting (you can just rubber band it to the end of the shaft).

Yep. I have a spot penciled out on my work bench where I put it when I use it so it's the same every time.

Just built (well, re-built) my Apexes last night. I had pulled the shafts that were in them to build some FG Tour V4s. I decided to go back to the shafts that came with the Apexes, some KBS Tour V 110s. They're drying today, looking forward to hitting them again. I've tried a lot of clubs and nothing feels as good as the Apexes with the same level of forgiveness.

I'm debating buying a 2nd set just in case club tech keeps going down the path it's going.

Just built (well, re-built) my Apexes last night. I had pulled the shafts that were in them to build some FG Tour V4s. I decided to go back to the shafts that came with the Apexes, some KBS Tour V 110s. They're drying today, looking forward to hitting them again. I've tried a lot of clubs and nothing feels as good as the Apexes with the same level of forgiveness.

I'm debating buying a 2nd set just in case club tech keeps going down the path it's going.

What path is that just out of curiosity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What path is that just out of curiosity
Long for the sake of long.

It's annoying, it's like every manufacturer *knows* that better golfers just want distance control, so in their less forgiving, better feeling clubs they worry more about feel and accuracy. Apex was special, it was a GI iron built with a better player philosophy--it feels great, looks great, but is more forgiving than a player's iron.

The new Apex CF is a nasty mish-mash--Callaway built it to be longer with a face cup, but then put in the stupid blooter thingy to try to give it a forged feel. It doesn't look nearly as good because of it.

Long for the sake of long.

It's annoying, it's like every manufacturer *knows* that better golfers just want distance control, so in their less forgiving, better feeling clubs they worry more about feel and accuracy. Apex was special, it was a GI iron built with a better player philosophy--it feels great, looks great, but is more forgiving than a player's iron.

The new Apex CF is a nasty mish-mash--Callaway built it to be longer with a face cup, but then put in the stupid blooter thingy to try to give it a forged feel. It doesn't look nearly as good because of it.

In your opinion I guess.. I think the new CF look better than the irons they are replacing, plus Face Cup will give me the best of the XR Pros and the Apex feel. Win Win for me.

FWIW lofts are the same in the Apex and Apex CF16

Well I'm 2 for 2 with gluing up irons that survived contact with golf balls.

It's nice to be back in the Apexes, and I think the 110g shafts will be good for my swing.

Is there a trick to removing grips of driver shafts? Or do i just use a knife and be careful not to touch the shaft?

Is there a trick to removing grips of driver shafts? Or do i just use a knife and be careful not to touch the shaft?

Hook blades if you can get one. Most hardware stores should have them.

Hook blades if you can get one. Most hardware stores should have them.

Cool thanks. Ill have to have a look. Then i just put the new grip on like doing irons is that correct?

4bb69a13663d8bdeefd4705eae6aa1d7.jpg

I clean of the shaft all the way and start fresh. It's not necessary always. But I do it anyway.

Cool thanks. Ill have to have a look. Then i just put the new grip on like doing irons is that correct?

Yep, build the tape up how you want and the grip is installed just like the irons.

Thanks guys, i regripped the old driver the other night.

Back