What are you building? (Club style)

Gunna try my frequency filtered shaft from my rife in my Lajosi...not sure if I should polish it back to chrome or leave it torched though...

IMG-20160522-WA0012_zpsbif8pwxv.jpg

Last edited:
Most recently built this because someone wanted his own!
IMG_27621_zpsfkb9jnmv.jpg

What are you building? (Club style)

Taos is rebuilding my odyssey mxm 1w. Resetting the shaft and collar and regripping it. I know when he works on clubs, it's going to be perfect. And he will be hot melting my v series heaven wood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the plunge ... ordered some XP-95 shafts ... so next week I will attempt my first iron re--shaft project.

One question, in cleaning out the inside of the hosel ... what is best method? Wire brush on a drill? What size?

Took the plunge ... ordered some XP-95 shafts ... so next week I will attempt my first iron re--shaft project.

One question, in cleaning out the inside of the hosel ... what is best method? Wire brush on a drill? What size?

If you don't want to wait on the wire brush I typically just roll up some sandpaper and work it in and out of the hosel while it's still heated from the pull. Whatever epoxy remains comes right out and you get fresh scoring for the new epoxy to grip.

I am committed to re-shafting now! The point of no return. Just waiting on the shafts to arrive from GolfSmith. I had a moment of "WTF did I get myself into" when I was removing the heads with the heat gun ... it seemed like to took longer than I "thought" it should, but it was probably less than 5 minutes. Shafts arrive Wednesday evening. Will clean this heads up and be ready by then!

8052BCCC-4892-438E-BE36-A23A72257587.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Moved a HZRDUS yellow 6.0 (tipped one inch) into my TaylorMade M2 3 fairway wood.
Moved a HZRDUS yellow 6.5 into my Callaway XR Pro 14* fairway wood.

So so so excited to see which one outperforms.

If you don't want to wait on the wire brush I typically just roll up some sandpaper and work it in and out of the hosel while it's still heated from the pull. Whatever epoxy remains comes right out and you get fresh scoring for the new epoxy to grip.

i should take a picture of one of my "tools" that i use. I would really love to get a wire brush, however i'm too lazy and too cheap lol.

For iron shafts, i use an old .335 shaft, and cut it about 6" above the tip. Then i cut a slit about 1" up on the tip side. You can slide a small piece of sandpaper in there, and then leave a "flap" hanging out. Throw that setup into your drill and give it a quick spin in the hosel, and voila its nice and ready for the new build!

Debating if I should just to a Recoil shaft swap on one of my Altitudes, or swap all of them. It is a hassle to do it, but I also don't want to re-do the swap if I find the combination isn't great for me.

i'll update with pics when i actually start putting them together but....

I just got another set of .355 Tour X's (brand new) that i'm going to put in my J40's because a couple are bent at the hosle.
I also have a set of Titleist Tour Model iron heads (circa 1991), that have been played probably twice ever. they have lots of bag-chatter type nicks, but otherwise are brand new. Lucky for me, the tip size is also .355. This means, that not only did I get a new set of shafts to put in my J40's, but I'm going to take my old set of shafts, put the good ones in the Titleist heads and order whatever couple i need to order (guessing 3-6-7-8), put them in the heads, grip them up, and boom, i'll have two sets of primo irons with primo shafts that are fit to my length. Super excited. I've hit the 8i blade once, but it was too short to actually swing it and make decent contact, but the one ball that i did hit it solid, holy cow, it was buttery. I'm pretty pumped to get them together with shafts that i can swing. I'll probably start a thread so i can keep progress of it.

New guy question ... the XP 95 shortest shaft is 36.5 ... I believe the shaft for my PW is 35 (Callaway XR OS) ... I am confused on why there would not be a shorter shaft. If I cut the shaft to 35, does that impact its launch or other characteristics that much?

New guy question ... the XP 95 shortest shaft is 36.5 ... I believe the shaft for my PW is 35 (Callaway XR OS) ... I am confused on why there would not be a shorter shaft. If I cut the shaft to 35, does that impact its launch or other characteristics that much?
Short answer is there's no change when you butt trim the shaft to length. Make sure your other clubs are to your spec before putting the grip on.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

My re-shafting project is done, and tested in the backyard testing area ... nothing came apart ... looking forward to hitting the new XP 95's ...

I had a couple of surprises, but that is just part of the learning process.

Thanks to folks here for the inspiration, and help on the re-shaft. I am ready to learn!

I will update my WITB with the pictures ...

Last edited:
I started a new reshafting project today. I'm building a set of Callaway Apex Black with some limited edition for Japan matte black KBS Tour shafts. They look pretty sweet together.

Dang those are going to look good when they're done.

Cleveland Black CB's dropped off to get the shafts pulled, and those Recoil 670 F3's are gonna get put in my Altitudes.

Finally!

I started a new reshafting project today. I'm building a set of Callaway Apex Black with some limited edition for Japan matte black KBS Tour shafts. They look pretty sweet together.

Very nice ... where can one get just the club heads, or do you have to buy a set and begin from there?

Those look good

That's going to look so good.

Want! They are gonna look so sweet!

So I have my Recoils pulled, and am ready to go ahead with the shaft swap into my Altitudes.

Am I missing anything?
-Prepped shafts & Heads
-Ferrules
-Epoxy

Going to hopefully do the swap immediately after tomorrow night's round.

So I have my Recoils pulled, and am ready to go ahead with the shaft swap into my Altitudes.

Am I missing anything?
-Prepped shafts & Heads
-Ferrules
-Epoxy

Going to hopefully do the swap immediately after tomorrow night's round.

Are you going to do a dry run to check the swing weights?

Are you going to do a dry run to check the swing weights?

I am going to dry fit everything, but don't have the know how/knowledge to be concerned with swing weights at the moment.

Pretty much just doing a straight swap of shafts from the Cleveland Black CB's to the Cleveland Altitudes.

I am going to dry fit everything, but don't have the know how/knowledge to be concerned with swing weights at the moment.

Pretty much just doing a straight swap of shafts from the Cleveland Black CB's to the Cleveland Altitudes.
I think being concerned with swing weights should be slightly important.

I would then say you're missing a SW scale from your build and maybe some tip weights. But I completely understand if this is your first build and you're getting started. Good luck and can't wait to see how your build goes

Back