What are you building? (Club style)

Easy peasy.

Club in, secured, use jack to apply pressure, heat, apply more pressure, head/adapter off.
Awesome. Will be picking one up then. Finally I'll be able to do anything I want.

Easy peasy.

Club in, secured, use jack to apply pressure, heat, apply more pressure, head/adapter off.

Awesome. Will be picking one up then. Finally I'll be able to do anything I want.

This was the exact one I was looking at as well.

I figured out why the epoxy failed on my HZRDUS shaft in the callaway adapter - shaft .355, adapter .370. Reinstalled with a shim and it should be good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Ping G LS Tec Driver 10.5 with UST Elements Dk 6x tipped 1/2in 266cpm D5.5. Head to head with my Cally GBB, Ping wins in regards to no bad hooks. I have a high draw that comes back to FW with a good swing release, otherwise straight to nice draws. Very repeatable set up!, that is way easier to hit down the FW with control...Go Ping!

I figured out why the epoxy failed on my HZRDUS shaft in the callaway adapter - shaft .355, adapter .370. Reinstalled with a shim and it should be good to go.

I actually had two epoxy fails in callaway adapters this year. One I put in and another a vendor installed prior to shipping. In both cases, just needed to better prep the shaft. I also like to rough up the inside of the adapter a bit too.

Put a new shaft in my driver...

20160808_193314_zpsnajowvow.jpg

bb083344-216b-4d35-b685-7f6bba7507d5_zps3ggivkex.jpg

20160808_193331_zpsp9mq5ymc.jpg

20160808_193347_zpsr8tzccm3.jpg

I am in serious why-would-I-bother pondering of having my own putter design made.
It would be a 1 of 1, I'm guessing, unless the metal shop makes a proto.
I've got 2 or 3 solid designs now (and several bad ones) that I'd like to get quotes on.
I wanted to get intricate, but that costs more money, so I'm trying to be unique and still fairly easy on the build side.
I'll have to get some screenshots off my CAD tomorrow and put up some ideas...maybe....fear of the lol factor.

Easy peasy.

Can you reuse the adapters?

I actually had two epoxy fails in callaway adapters this year. One I put in and another a vendor installed prior to shipping. In both cases, just needed to better prep the shaft. I also like to rough up the inside of the adapter a bit too.
I always do both when building my clubs. I'm waiting on a shaft from Golf works for my Titleist. Have a bunch of adapters so I can do some tinkering.
Put a new shaft in my driver...

20160808_193314_zpsnajowvow.jpg

bb083344-216b-4d35-b685-7f6bba7507d5_zps3ggivkex.jpg

20160808_193331_zpsp9mq5ymc.jpg

20160808_193347_zpsr8tzccm3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can you reuse the adapters?

Yessir, just not the ferrules
Unless you are me. Doh! Ruined 2 adapters I tried to pull off. Need to use the heat gun and just bide my time. Mini torch is not a good idea.

Plus getting the ferrule off that goes into the adapter is a pain. Got a pretty deep cut for being dumb. ?

Live and learn and hopefully the next ones go better.

I have one of those adaptor savers from Golf works. If very careful with the heat, can save and reuse both adaptor and ferrule
This sounds like a good idea. Adaptors are not cheap. would be good to reuse them

I think I want to do this to my VPC's

0a9492cce927058451a178bcfcabf17c.jpg

Going to shorten a putter shaft this weekend and throw a new grip on. What do you guys use to cut down steel shafts? I've heard of people just using a hacksaw, will that work?

Going to shorten a putter shaft this weekend and throw a new grip on. What do you guys use to cut down steel shafts? I've heard of people just using a hacksaw, will that work?

that'll definitely do the trick.

steel shafts are easy to cut. hacksaw, chop saw, dremel with a cutoff wheel etc. Lately i've been using a pipe cutter though and i like it the most. no dust/dirt and it's quiet if i'm doing any work late at night :)

A plumbing pipe cutter has been doing the job on mine, a couple turns and it usually is right through.

I'm going to install Recoil 110 F5's in my 765 and Recoil Wedge Protos in my RTX-3 tomorrow.

Pops wants the Recoil 125's out of his XR Pros in favour of his Tour V 90s in regular flex. Guess I've got some work to do this week.

Anyone ever have an issue with epoxy curing on a driver head/shaft? I have built clubs for a few years now and never had an issue up until my current build.
I am doing a AeroBurner TP driver head on an LZ shaft.

My process:
I prep the shaft by sanding it down to remove any old epoxy and to expose the raw graphite.
Then I have a drill adapter that uses a sandpaper "roll" to clean/prep the driver hosel.
I made sure the hosel was showing exposed metal and was roughed up nicely.

The first time I put it together the club was usable for like 10 hits at the range, then the head completely turned like the epoxy never set right. Then the second time I let the club cure for a few days and I went to hit it at the range last night. The head literally slipped off the shaft clean after one hit! Both times I was using the longer setting (4hr set time, 24hr use) Golfworks epoxy which I have only used twice on a wedge and an iron. Both were fine and didn't have this issue.
Last night I went back to my old 15 min set time Brampton's epoxy, to see if it is an issue with the other epoxy never really setting up right. Hopefully this will do the trick! So frustrating.

Anyone ever have an issue with epoxy curing on a driver head/shaft? I have built clubs for a few years now and never had an issue up until my current build.
I am doing a AeroBurner TP driver head on an LZ shaft.

My process:
I prep the shaft by sanding it down to remove any old epoxy and to expose the raw graphite.
Then I have a drill adapter that uses a sandpaper "roll" to clean/prep the driver hosel.
I made sure the hosel was showing exposed metal and was roughed up nicely.

The first time I put it together the club was usable for like 10 hits at the range, then the head completely turned like the epoxy never set right. Then the second time I let the club cure for a few days and I went to hit it at the range last night. The head literally slipped off the shaft clean after one hit! Both times I was using the longer setting (4hr set time, 24hr use) Golfworks epoxy which I have only used twice on a wedge and an iron. Both were fine and didn't have this issue.
Last night I went back to my old 15 min set time Brampton's epoxy, to see if it is an issue with the other epoxy never really setting up right. Hopefully this will do the trick! So frustrating.

Could be a few things. Is the epoxy you're using a little older or is it fairly new stuff? Do you clean the inside of the hosel after sanding with acetone, or another substance?

Your process looks right on paper, are you using enough epoxy? do you let the leftover epoxy cure on the side on to see what it looks like after? Is the hosel fit snug or sloppy? And what room/temperature are you letting the club sit in to cure?

Could be a few things. Is the epoxy you're using a little older or is it fairly new stuff? Do you clean the inside of the hosel after sanding with acetone, or another substance?

Your process looks right on paper, are you using enough epoxy? do you let the leftover epoxy cure on the side on to see what it looks like after? Is the hosel fit snug or sloppy? And what room/temperature are you letting the club sit in to cure?
The epoxy I used is brand new, maybe a few months old. I don't clean the hosel out with anything but a dry cotton swab b/c I worry if I use a chemical it might weaken the bond. I use a nice thin layer of epoxy both on the shaft/in the hosel. I usually toss the mixing piece after I am done, but def. a good idea I never though of. The hosel fit on this particular one is a little lose, but no where near the need for a shim etc. I also use glass shafting beads to help. I do this in my living room that stays around 70ish degrees.
I honestly just think the epoxy never quite cured right, we'll see what happens with my quick set job.

The epoxy I used is brand new, maybe a few months old. I don't clean the hosel out with anything but a dry cotton swab b/c I worry if I use a chemical it might weaken the bond. I use a nice thin layer of epoxy both on the shaft/in the hosel. I usually toss the mixing piece after I am done, but def. a good idea I never though of. The hosel fit on this particular one is a little lose, but no where near the need for a shim etc. I also use glass shafting beads to help. I do this in my living room that stays around 70ish degrees.
I honestly just think the epoxy never quite cured right, we'll see what happens with my quick set job.

yeah the process sounds ok, maybe perhaps try a slight bit more epoxy on the club. You can clean the hosel out with acetone on a cotton swab, that's no issue there.

With the rest of that info sounding good, it really sounds probably like a bad mixing of the epoxy. Really work that stuff for a good solid minute (use a timer) and make sure it's really well mixed. Another thing to consider is that if you're only mixing enough for a small amount like a driver repair, its very tough to measure out a perfect 50/50 of your epoxy. Perhaps next time make a bigger batch, it becomes easier to get it closer to a true 50/50 mix and really be able to stir it up well especially if it doesn't seem to be curing.

yeah the process sounds ok, maybe perhaps try a slight bit more epoxy on the club. You can clean the hosel out with acetone on a cotton swab, that's no issue there.

With the rest of that info sounding good, it really sounds probably like a bad mixing of the epoxy. Really work that stuff for a good solid minute (use a timer) and make sure it's really well mixed. Another thing to consider is that if you're only mixing enough for a small amount like a driver repair, its very tough to measure out a perfect 50/50 of your epoxy. Perhaps next time make a bigger batch, it becomes easier to get it closer to a true 50/50 mix and really be able to stir it up well especially if it doesn't seem to be curing.

Thanks for the useful info. I actually mixed a larger batch up the first time and thought I just screwed up the ratio. Then the second time I mixed a smaller batch and it was even worse (where the club flew straight off). I am gonna see how my quick set worked tonight and go from there. I might just end up ordering a new batch of quick set epoxy and doing it one last time. I honestly think tho that the first two times, the epoxy was at fault.

Back