What are you building? (Club style)

Titleist adapter curing in my Grandura 530. Excited to see what that and the 915 D3 produce.
Let me know how it performs. I have been pondering that shaft for my 917

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
resetting my 8i its pulling left 5y

Elaborate please. I see a drill press vise and a threaded bolt captured by a couple eye bolts. What's the plan?
I need to make a small bracket that fits around the hosel and then attach it the metal square on the threaded bolt (which came from an automotive pulley puller) via the socket screw (may need something with a smaller profile though). I'm thinking of using a double wide corner brace and using a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel to make the notch that will receive the shaft, but will be smaller than the hosel (may need two, one for woods, and one for irons). Screw that down, then lock the shaft in the drill press, heat the hosel with my heat gun, and turn the threaded bolt. Viola! Shaft puller.

It's not my own Frankenstein's monster. I made it based on the design from here. Though looking at the WRX site, it appears I could have simply made my shaft extractor using the drill press. Oh well.

Looks like the other fellow used a piece of aluminum angle. If you do that, you can make it arbitrarily long and have multiple sized notches. Just unscrew and align the correct size notch.

Looks like the other fellow used a piece of aluminum angle. If you do that, you can make it arbitrarily long and have multiple sized notches. Just unscrew and align the correct size notch.
Yeah I saw that. May go that route. Might need to raise the drill press a tad, but that should be no biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Built myself a shaft extractor today. Thanks Harbor Freight! Now just need to make a bracket to fit behind the hosel and I am good to go.

94f59fe360ff3c015069969fc378abab.jpg

That looks like the one that I made. Just a little advice, I had to take a Dremel and remove some material from the vice where the end of the threaded shaft sits against the vice for clearance. I also mounted mine to a piece of tube steel so it can easily sit in my bench vice. I also used the tube steel and cut a piece out to fit at the hossle. Here's mine
8a9d5f7aa36441ed3a2be9f3d26aa833.jpg
42c4e689d61b62dabb687a8e5e45e217.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for those pictures!

Dumb story time.

I was bored one night after work. I was looking around out in the pile of clubs and components from days gone by and got a wild hair.

I had an ultralight PXv 43g 6.0 shaft, a PING G10 head, and a couple dozen grip options. I stripped, sanded, taped, and repainted the head just for giggles. I slapped the shaft in and gripped with a new Winn Dri Tac Wrap Midsize. Today, I tossed it in my bag to mess with it pre-round on the range.

Backstory; I've been having a B$%ch of a time hitting driver lately and have just settled on a 4w or the Mini to get me by, which was working fine. It was getting me out there about 230-245 and playing from the fairway.

Started swinging the Frankenstein driver, easy at first, and it wasn't going too well. Started to swing harder and it started to come around. Strengthened my grip just a hair and said 'screw it, I'm going to murder this thing' and hit one of the most penetrating, straightest driver shots in the last 4 months. So I kept killing it. It kept going straight. And I know nothing of this driver but it must be low spin because runout was pretty good.

Swung it a few times on the course during the round and one in particular was dead into the wind and we still measured it at 256.
Not shabby for an old fluffy dude with no driver game of late. Pretty stupid my best driver day in months was with a G10 from xx years ago, right?

Now, they say the shaft is the engine, so theoretically I could swap this PXv into anything else and I "should" find something. Should. Maybe we'll try some things out in the coming weeks.

I´m changing the worn grip of my two-balls-putter with a light two-thumbs grip.

Not what I would consider "head only" but oh well ...

c2adc6a1d5d2ea87f393eec22d357859.jpg

Not what I would consider "head only" but oh well ...

c2adc6a1d5d2ea87f393eec22d357859.jpg

So first try didn't work so well?

So first try didn't work so well?
No, i haven't used it yet. The Divine Nine head I bought was supposedly "head only " but arrived with about five inches of shaft attached. Means I'll get to give the extractor a try earlier than expected.

Will need to bring the vise and threaded screw closer together though. Guess that was a bit of a design flaw on my part, but honestly didn't think I'd only be working with 3-5" of shaft to lock into the vise.

No, i haven't used it yet. The Divine Nine head I bought was supposedly "head only " but arrived with about five inches of shaft attached. Means I'll get to give the extractor a try earlier than expected.

Will need to bring the vise and threaded screw closer together though. Guess that was a bit of a design flaw on my part, but honestly didn't think I'd only be working with 3-5" of shaft to lock into the vise.

with that, you can just heat and yank by hand, no need to "preserve" the shaft

Just something I spotted on your set up. You will probably need to align the vice so that the center of your rubber shaft clamp is in the center of the threaded rod. It may be already, I couldn't tell by the photos.

No worries about wrecking that shaft then. I did the same thing with a broken off shaft. Just heat it up, tank it out, and clean it up afterwards.

Just something I spotted on your set up. You will probably need to align the vice so that the center of your rubber shaft clamp is in the center of the threaded rod. It may be already, I couldn't tell by the photos.
Yep, I positioned the bolts to allow me to move the vise left/right to get it lined up. Need to see how it sets up once I add the rubber jaws to the vise.

No worries about wrecking that shaft then. I did the same thing with a broken off shaft. Just heat it up, tank it out, and clean it up afterwards.
Yep, certainly an option (the easiest route for sure). Would like to see the extractor in action (if possible) and see how well I manage to operate it without a decent shafts life depending on it. Lol

Yep, certainly an option (the easiest route for sure). Would like to see the extractor in action (if possible) and see how well I manage to operate it without a decent shafts life depending on it. Lol

Just place a wood block between the vise and the end of the screw to make up the gap.

OK, hitting 12 degrees as a high tomorrow means club work, finally.

I've talked it a lot, but I'm ready to move full time to graphite.

So....the weekend projects are....

Cf16 - Recoil 110F5
765 - Matrix Program F15 120X
V6 - Steelfiber 125S
RTX3 - Recoil Wedge Protos

That is a lot of epoxy and ferrules. Hahahaha

I've got some KBS Tour 105s I want to put in some MP32s this weekend, but still waiting on the wedge shafts unfortunately.

OK, hitting 12 degrees as a high tomorrow means club work, finally.

I've talked it a lot, but I'm ready to move full time to graphite.

So....the weekend projects are....

Cf16 - Recoil 110F5
765 - Matrix Program F15 120X
V6 - Steelfiber 125S
RTX3 - Recoil Wedge Protos

That is a lot of epoxy and ferrules. Hahahaha
Man those 765s and programs are going to feel awesome

Working on a new 3 wood. Using a M2 head but haven't finalized the shaft yet! Look for a Graphite Design Tour Ad DI 6 SR but I'm trying to find a good deal on the shaft instead of paying $380.

Back