What Are You Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
A message board standard.

I almost always find something new to listen to when reading these threads, so I'm starting one here!

"Dirty White Boy" - Foreigner

(goin' old school this morning!)

Wow, Foreigner...That is old school
Good greatest hits album. And of course, welcome Harry. A board just isnt a board without Mr. Longshanks.

How pathetic is this--I listen to NPR on the computer and audio books in the gym.

Oh--you were asking about music? :confused:

Claire,
I actually only listen to NPR or ESPN Radio it seems so I am in the same boat.

Claire,
I actually only listen to NPR or ESPN Radio it seems so I am in the same boat.

I can never hear "Wait wait..." in real time, so it's good to have running during the morning email slog.

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was on NPR. I don't know if it will translate though.

It was 1995 or 1996 and I was driving back from an out of town business meeting with a colleague and we were listening to NPR.

The report was on Teletubbies, which were about to leap the Atlantic and make their debut on PBS. There was some mild controversy about a show targeting such young children. At the time, not many people had heard of Teletubbies, so the report started with an explanation that the characters were talking in "baby talk" that kids of a very young age could understand, according to creators of the Teletubbies.

The report then explained that NPR had shown a preview to several very young children to ge their reaction.

At this point, I begin thinking that NPR was pulling a huge prank.

Interviewer: What did you think of the scene?

Child: For umm, to they go on the hill for the Winky ummm then turn and ummm I for they saw the top.

Voice-Over Translator for Child: I liked the show. I particularly enjoyed the part where Winky Tinky went to the top of the hill and used his powers from the top of his antennae.

They "interviewed" several children in this manner, with each child speaking in unintelligible child-speak followed by a very distinguished voice "translating" the child's statements in the most proper and serious voice you've ever heard - as though the translator thought he was translating a global peace plan in front of the UN.

My buddy and I were laughing so hard that I thought we were going to have to pull the car over. Since neither of us had heard of Teletubbies before, we both suspected that NPR was having a laugh at our expense.

Oh, and now I'm listening to the Dodgers/Phillies game.

Not watching it?

We have NPR on in the car all the time, though I often have to turn it off when the kids are with me, in my censor role. But two funny things came through.

My son was 3 in 2001. He didn't get to hear any of 9/11, but later that fall, we were at a friend's house, and he and the other kid were playing some sort of house. My son walked up to my girlfriend, handed her a piece of paper, and said, "I'm a bad guy; this is anthrax." That's when I started being really vigilent about turning the radio off.

A couple of years ago, after a pertinent story, he asked me, "Mommy, if I go to college in Massachusetts, do I HAVE to marry a boy?"

He didn't say music only!

I am listening to the morning talk show to be followed by Rush (yeah, I know, but after that is the O'Reilly Factor and I don't want to change the station!).

We have NPR on in the car all the time, though I often have to turn it off when the kids are with me, in my censor role. But two funny things came through.

My son was 3 in 2001. He didn't get to hear any of 9/11, but later that fall, we were at a friend's house, and he and the other kid were playing some sort of house. My son walked up to my girlfriend, handed her a piece of paper, and said, "I'm a bad guy; this is anthrax." That's when I started being really vigilent about turning the radio off.

A couple of years ago, after a pertinent story, he asked me, "Mommy, if I go to college in Massachusetts, do I HAVE to marry a boy?"

That is both funny and scary. I mean without children, I dont really think about the whole censorship thing too much. But you are right, in todays day and age, you really have to stay on top of everything.

That is both funny and scary. I mean without children, I dont really think about the whole censorship thing too much. But you are right, in todays day and age, you really have to stay on top of everything.

I'm continually amazed at what sponges kids are.

Oh, and if you asked my kids the question on the thread, son would say Green Day's "American Idiot" and my daughter would pick something by Miley Cyrus or the girl who plays I Carly.

I'm feelin' the random shuffle on the MP3 player this morning:

Chris Ledoux - Bareback Jack

Ray Charles - Sitting On Top Of The World

Johnny Cash - Don't Take Your Guns To Town

The Nixons - ...At The Sun

Quickserv Johnny - Road Hollow (they were a Dallas band back in the early 90's)

Brian Setzer - As Long As I'm Singin

Jimmy Buffett - Little Miss Magic (makes me think of my daughter)

"Slow Hand" - Interpol

"Invisible Drugs" - The Comas

Traditionally, my driving music has been http://www.black47.com/. I've been listening to them from the beginning, and they're good for distances.

For some unexplainable reason, I've had Follies on endless loop in the car for awhile. To the point where my kids know the plot and can distinguish all the voices. Gorgeous music, depressing plot. Gotta get it out of there.

"Everybody Out of the Water" - The Wallflowers

Metallica - Too Late Too Late

Black Flag - Thirsty & Miserable

Reverend Horton Heat - Baby You Know Who

Shinedown - Heroes

Hank Williams - Honky Tonkin'

White noise. That's what they have playing here in the office. Nothing like hearing white noise for 8-10 hours a day. My Zune broke so I have at listen to it until I get a new one. I'm too lazy most of the time to go to a local radio station's website and listen.

Right now im listening to the Backstreet Boys butcher the National anthem at the World Series.

Drowning Pool - Soldiers

Alan Jackson - Midnight in Montgomery

Long Beach Dub Allstars - Like A Dog

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Beeah

Marty Stuart - Don't Be Cruel

Ha ha, probably so Craig...

I've got at least one, maybe two Bosstones albums floating in my library somewhere.

Right now, I'm listening to the theme from Scooby Doo. Twerpy (my daughter) loves that show.

Let's Face It & Jacknife To A Swan are the two essential Bosstone albums, I usually have my player on random and have over 3000 songs, so it is a wide variety. Have all the bands you listed except Drowning Pool, not a big fan...

"Sea Legs" - The Shins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back