What Are You Working On?

I practiced and played weight forward for about two months. Now I'm starting with my weight back. Eventually, this will lead to weight neutral, but it's helping me with my transition and hopefully swallowing my swing out slightly.

Keeping my head still which stops me from swaying. On the rare occasions that I remember to keep my head still I hit the ball so well.
This is a constant for me too.

Constantly working on shallowing my swing out, and removing OTT move.

Im also working on my grip and how that affects my lie angle and face angle at impact.

Not trying to tinker too much with the Grandaddy coming up, but I think a couple of small tweaks will help me have a good fitting and a good couple of matches.

This off-season I’ll be working on general fitness, but also trying to increase my flexibility for a more powerful swing while maintaining smoothness and stability.

Having trained for hockey, I understand explosive movements, so now it’s time to pair that with some grace.

Shortening my backswing.

this was the main take home message @Wildcat4life gave me. Today Irealized that this is the same swing I use with my wedges. A strength of mine.
Now to get comfortable with long irons doing this.

The ground was clear enough of snow to work a little on some SW shots - specifically trying to learn to use the bounce. That didn't go very well.

I also hit several 6i shots. Wasn't really working on anything specific but ended up trying what @Arlo had suggested with using my lead (left) hand to pull the handle to square the club. It was easy to over-do which resulted in several pulls. So like anything else, it'll require some work to figure out pressure and direction. Pulling "up" more so than "around" (these are feels and not necessarily what was happening) while my trail hand continued through seemed to reduce the pull hooks. And there was definitely an increase in club head speed.

My goals continue to focus on accuracy rather than distance. And I'm hoping to develop a swing that doesn't involve a lot of manipulation. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but with my consistency problems, the simpler the better.

Stop the ball from going left of left

The ground was clear enough of snow to work a little on some SW shots - specifically trying to learn to use the bounce. That didn't go very well.

I also hit several 6i shots. Wasn't really working on anything specific but ended up trying what @Arlo had suggested with using my lead (left) hand to pull the handle to square the club. It was easy to over-do which resulted in several pulls. So like anything else, it'll require some work to figure out pressure and direction. Pulling "up" more so than "around" (these are feels and not necessarily what was happening) while my trail hand continued through seemed to reduce the pull hooks. And there was definitely an increase in club head speed.

My goals continue to focus on accuracy rather than distance. And I'm hoping to develop a swing that doesn't involve a lot of manipulation. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but with my consistency problems, the simpler the better.
How quickly information gets distorted LOL
We have said the body turning squares the clubface. Yes if clubface isnt closing quickly enough the adjustment is to
INTENTION to pull the butt of the club up and around the left hip,(parametric acceleration) to increase clubhead speed.

There is no way to do this consciously in real time. Impact is 5/10, 000 second. If your doing it consciously it means from top of BS your closing the clubface or long after the ball has been hit.

There is a reason, olympic starters for track events, know if a runner leaves the blocks less than 1/10 second after the gun, that runner was jumping ahead, because they know limitations of human reaction.

How quickly information gets distorted LOL
We have said the body turning squares the clubface. Yes if clubface isnt closing quickly enough the adjustment is to
INTENTION to pull the butt of the club up and around the left hip,(parametric acceleration) to increase clubhead speed.
Contradict yourself much?

Since I'm unable to comprehend the wisdom you're kind enough to share, you could just stop giving me advice. Sure, I'd miss these condescending replies, but I hate the idea of good information going to waste.

On Sunday, I experimented with a new backswing move (keeping my hands in, club out on the way back), but definitely had mixed results. I feel like it's an easy, reliable, repeatable move to make, but I struggled with when and how much to both rotate my forearms and bend my wrists. I also feel like it's easy to eliminate the left side of the course with both fades and draws, but my fades started straight or right, and then faded further right ALL day (even hit some huge flared shots way right). I'll keep at it though as I think it'll add some much needed consistency in the long run.

golf takeaway.PNG

Working on my left arm. I tend to get lazy and start bending it instead of turning

I've just started working on a slightly different move to take some pressure off my ribs. Keeping everything a little more tucked to my body and a little different rotation. I honestly don't know how the rest of me will like it in the end, and it's all a little weird and a work in progress. Focused on it last time out to a lot of good effect and a couple pretty terrible. Hand path and posture/alignment are a little off with it and it feels very hit or miss right now. Bit of a mess. I didn't get to play today so I've been looking at video of a few and trying to get some visuals of feels I had to speed up the process. Want to get out tomorrow and then work on whatever feels the weirdest about it at the range after.

I've just started working on a slightly different move to take some pressure off my ribs. Keeping everything a little more tucked to my body and a little different rotation. I honestly don't know how the rest of me will like it in the end, and it's all a little weird and a work in progress. Focused on it last time out to a lot of good effect and a couple pretty terrible. Hand path and posture/alignment are a little off with it and it feels very hit or miss right now. Bit of a mess. I didn't get to play today so I've been looking at video of a few and trying to get some visuals of feels I had to speed up the process. Want to get out tomorrow and then work on whatever feels the weirdest about it at the range after.

I'm also trying to keep everything tucked in with a tighter rotation. It's weird.

Contradict yourself much?

Since I'm unable to comprehend the wisdom you're kind enough to share, you could just stop giving me advice. Sure, I'd miss these condescending replies, but I hate the idea of good information going to waste.
“You think Arlo stops teaching, just because his student does not want to hear? A teacher Arlo is.
Arlo teaches like drunkards drink, like killers kill.” – Arlo

Failure is the best teacher. Well done.

Last edited:
Twitter caught me in the background working on my release.:oops:

:ROFLMAO:

The last couple of range sessions I've been working on getting my club at least parallel to the ground on my backswing in an effort to get more distance. Primarily doing this with my driver for now. I played yesterday and got to use this on the course for the first time. I was fighting a big slice at first, but got better as I went. I did see some improvement and by the end of the round I was consistently getting 220+ on my drives. That's a 10-15 yard increase from my normal "good" drives.

Right now, a 5-cheese pizza. In the near future, I'll be working on getting more rotation/hip turn/coil with some drills I got from my last lesson.

Not really working on it, but I tried the swing thought of going from the top of my swing to a balanced finish without any thoughts of impact - my version of "letting the golf ball get in the way" I suppose.

The results were mixed. It didn't do anything to help control the face and the ball flight was high leading me to believe I'm not getting proper weight shift and, as a result, probably flipping. I believe these are the two main things that have plagued me over the years.

Good distance even with the high flight, however.

More consistent accuracy and distance with the driver. I go through streaks of it working well then slumps where I question my equipment and swing.

More consistent accuracy and distance with the driver. I go through streaks of it working well then slumps where I question my equipment and swing.

I totally understand. I'm finding the key is to know exactly what makes it work when it does work if you want more consistency.

I am getting back to some swing changes I started toward the end of this season. Biggest change is about shallowing the shaft on the downswing, like the underside of the forearm pointing up to the sky shallow. I have struggled with this change. Today I took advantage of the weather and hit some range balls to work on it. It hit me that I need a setup change. Without realizing it, I have had my head and spine directly over or even in front of the ball. A little spine tilt back puts me in a much better position. And there was the feel and strike consistency I want. Seeing the ball flight I like too. I will keep working on this change. I believe this will give me the next step I am looking for in my game.

Continuing my swing evolution, getting hips involved more, bigger turn better ball impact.

lots of stuff! I have a small (3) lesson pack for pgatss that I’ll use sooner than later hope it will help on some of the above. My goal is to work on things all winter and get below a 15 early next season. Wishful thinking perhaps but it’s a goal!

After my adventure to shankland my biggest swing thought will be maintaining spine angle throughout my swing. One of the most frustrating on course feelings to hit multiple poor shots and know the exact reason for the poor result 😆

Main thing has been tempo this year added with releasing the driver in the bottom of my swing. Too many years of duck hooks have led to holding the club face open at impact this year.
Two months later......same thing. Obviously I haven't stayed focused enough.

Working on opening the swing back up with the new feels from trying to keep everything a little closer to my torso. Did well yesterday letting it go, but today my ribs are on fire, which was the whole point of changing things a bit, so I might need to find a middle ground.

Back