Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 6500-6999

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 7000+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Packers suck.

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters
I'm definitely on the high side of 6000s because I'm steep and I cast a bit. Can I fix it? I'm trying.
And you play AVX right?

It’s been a while since my last launch monitor session but I think it was about 6200 then… I have changed a couple things since then with shaft (PX LS) and ball (softer) so I may have take a few RPMs off 🤷🏻‍♂️

I play HotMetal which is strong lofted so i'll give you my 7i. 167 average carry with 5800 average spin.

Last edited:
I play HotMetal which is strong lofted so i'll give you my 7i. 167 average carry with 5800 average spin.
Strong lofted is fine. Probably more relevant even.

Yes but more recently tour speed.
Your ball fitting is going to be so much more interesting than mine I think. So many possibilities..

Your ball fitting is going to be so much more interesting than mine I think. So many possibilities..
That or I'm hopeless haha. I found success with the ProV1 left dot as well, but my swing has slowed down so much over the past year that it's no longer an option.

So I went and hit with my little SC300 launch monitor today to get some fresh numbers. Hope this isn't too much but I like this sort of thing.
I hit both 7 and 6 irons as I play HotMetal. 6i is 25* and 7 is 29*
These were crusty old range balls so you can see the ballspeed numbers even with similar head speeds can vary quite a bit. With balls I game, I see speeds more constant and a little more distance. I think the Apex numbers are a bit off bit I hit both around 100-110 in height normally....not sure about 150ft LOL
Today's 6 Iron
1664582059492.png

Today's 7 Iron
1664582130873.png

So I went and hit with my little SC300 launch monitor today to get some fresh numbers. Hope this isn't too much but I like this sort of thing.
I hit both 7 and 6 irons as I play HotMetal. 6i is 25* and 7 is 29*
These were crusty old range balls so you can see the ballspeed numbers even with similar head speeds can vary quite a bit. With balls I game, I see speeds more constant and a little more distance. I think the Apex numbers are a bit off bit I hit both around 100-110 in height normally....not sure about 150ft LOL
Today's 6 Iron
View attachment 9124316

Today's 7 Iron
View attachment 9124317
You probably see a little more distance because you spin it a little less. A lot of range balls are real spinny at this part of the bag.

My 6i is between 4800 and 5250. Launch angle is about 17* to 19*

I am not sure as never been on a launch monitor but in 2023 will make it a goal when Callaway has a fitting day. Not sure will change anything, just love my TCB’s as long as I put a good swing on them .

In an interesting twist, the expected answer is in the lead. Look at us. All excellent and ****. :D

Okay so we know some things now.

1. The Packers definitely suck

2. The most common response was 5000-5499 spin.

Which both seem reasonable.

So speaking of that spin range a lot of us live in, not many said if it's where they want to be. It's generall where I am and want to be, and I've worked hard to get my spin up in that range. The thing is, indoors, I'm at one end or the other of that generally depending on the ball. These are two 6 irons from the other day, with 2 different model balls

20221003_221606.jpg

Similar strike, shape, all of it. I did swing the first one a little faster though. So which is right? Which would you choose? And then..

this is a 6i from a CC vid today

20221003_214429.jpg

Similar speed, stock shape, launch, etc as me, but definitely living a little lower in the spin range. I talked with someone here about this that wants to be a good bit higher spin than the most common response, and this guy (who is very good on a monitor) obviously doesn't mind his being a little lower. Thoughts? Which ball would you have me play?

I'd prefer the higher spinning shot from above.

For the courses around here for the most part the greens on the smallish side. 1 course I play they are about 1500sqft with 2 around 2500sqft.
Most other courses i'd say average less than 3000sqft. One place has one 3500sqft green and it is freaking huge.

I prefer higher flight with more spin on every club but the driver for the coursed i've played.

Which launch monitor are you using?

I'd prefer the higher spinning shot from above.

For the courses around here for the most part the greens on the smallish side. 1 course I play they are about 1500sqft with 2 around 2500sqft.
Most other courses i'd say average less than 3000sqft. One place has one 3500sqft green and it is freaking huge.

I prefer higher flight with more spin on every club but the driver for the coursed i've played.

Which launch monitor are you using?
Those are from GC2. Quad computer is down. Overheated.

I think that guy was saying something about just wanting them to peak out fairly high. Might play somewhere soft. If that's the case for him spin definitely wouldn't be as much of a concern. My old home course in NE had real small greens and I played AVX into them.

I'm not entirely sure which ball of those 2 that company would suggest for me based on those numbers.

Those are from GC2. Quad computer is down. Overheated.

I think that guy was saying something about just wanting them to peak out fairly high. Might play somewhere soft. If that's the case for him spin definitely wouldn't be as much of a concern. My old home course in NE had real small greens and I played AVX into them.

I'm not entirely sure which ball of those 2 that company would suggest for me based on those numbers.
So after watching a video with Ian Fraser....I am really thinking of trying the CSX LS. I need more driver control and really struggle with bringing the spin down. I think based on the numbers I posted above, I create plenty of spin with my irons and won't really lose too much with irons. Fit my ball to the driver and I can deal with the rest?

Based on my fitting in July my average is right about 4,300

So after watching a video with Ian Fraser....I am really thinking of trying the CSX LS. I need more driver control and really struggle with bringing the spin down. I think based on the numbers I posted above, I create plenty of spin with my irons and won't really lose too much with irons. Fit my ball to the driver and I can deal with the rest?
Hard to say. All individual. I was with him in that video about being able to create wedge spin with any good ball really. If it comes down to keeping my drive in the air or on line better or getting more distance vs. spin on that stuff, well.. I can't spin a wedge from 20y further back in the rough great either. And I can live with either of the spin rates from those two balls at the 6 iron. I'm sure I've played less spin at that club in the past just fine for other benefits.

Just visited the local CC, tried a few different shafts in the Apex 21 head, along with my fc90 shafted 6 iron. Spin #s were right around 5300 on good strikes with all shafts I tried in regular flex, which were SF fc90, SF i80cw, Accra ICWT 2.0 95. They only had the Fuji pro in stiff, and it brought the spin down a little bit, but I lost height as well.
I had recently shaft a Cobra Forged Tec Black 7iron with the Fuji pro 95i in regular and was getting 6-6200 with that set up.

I grabbed some numbers over the weekend and with my ZX5 6i I was getting 164 yards carry, 4570 spin with ball speed in the 112ish range clubhead speed is around 81 or 82. The Trackman said I was getting at least 10 yards of roll which I think is higher than I see hitting a green. That said I wouldn't mind the ball rolling out a bit less on the green.

This was with the Chrome Soft X. It had me wondering if I should try the Chrome Soft. I really don't want to give up any distance on either the driver or irons. I know you generally don't lose a ton of distance at my speed on the driver. I was fit two seasons ago by Titleist and they put me into the PV1X which is their spinnier ball.

I need to see if I can find some balls by the sleeve. I would love to check the balls from Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, Bridgestone and Srixon out on the simulator but I don't want to buy a dozen of each.

Newer irons I’m around 4500 and my weaker lofted Ping ie-1 irons from 2014 are 5000. You need to hit balls into the green and know how they stop for you amd then hit that club at CC… use those numbers vs. the new clubs you are being fitted for..

Back