What are your expectations of QC from any OEM on new Equipment?

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you expect some level of perfection or are you happy with whatever comes out of the box?

I expect the clubs to be what I ordered (right model, correct shaft and flex, right grips) and in pretty much flawless condition. And I expect the specifications to be within the manufacturer's normal tolerances (usually plus or minus a degree on loft and lie, plus or minus 1/4" or so and plus or minus 1 SW point or thereabouts). And I expect the grips to be on straight and consistently oriented.

I seldom buy new instead of used but the few times I have the club has generally met my expectations. I did buy a set of Ping irons one time where the SW on the gap wedge was like 4 points too low. Never figured out just what happened there. I have had a club here or there with a slightly crooked grip but never really bad.

From my conversation with the fitter at Club Champion during my fitting a couple years ago, when it comes to things like swingweight/loft/lie, not high - sure, they’re selling custom building services so that’s part of the story, but have heard the same from another shop. I’m not sensitive to swingweight so don’t care there, and every time I’ve ordered clubs from the shop near me they’ve tweaked lofts/lies when they’ve come in, so that’s consistent.

I always thought all clubs would be very close to spec but I have learned different after reading here. It is a problem for sure but I do not think it is limited to any certain OEM. I have learned to check them and take nothing for granted.

I expect the correct clubs, shafts, shaft lengths and grips. I hope for correct swing weights. I've lost all hope on correct loft and lie angles or straight putter grips. As late as yesterday we received an Odyssey Two Ball WHP 2.0 I ordered for my wife. Ordered it new and bone stock. I immediately notice the lie was upright so I put it on my putter loft and lie machine and it was at 73* lie and just under 2* loft. :banghead: Super easy fix since I have the tools for it, but most shops around here are not set up to check putters so most people are in the hands of the manufacturers to get that right.

I think the set of Ping irons I use now are the only irons I ever bought that came with the good lofts and lies.

I dont care how much you are paying for a golf club. If you order a club to your specifications and they are not built that way, then that's an issue. What's the point of touting all of the technical advances and yardage increases if you are going to deliver an inferior product when they are ordered and risk some sort of negative press or delays with orders?

We don't settle for anything less than what we order from any other consumer good we purchase, so why should golf clubs be any different?

I expect them to be what they are supposed to be. We pay enough money for golf clubs to not expect the OEMs to live up to their stated promises. Would it be OK if a $40 steak was overdone when you ordered medium-rare? That thing is going back at least 99% of the time.

i expect close to perfection. it doesn’t seem like a hard thing to do as long as the assembly team is well trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I order direct from an OEM with custom length/lie/loft/SW specs then I'm fully expecting those specs to be met within a reasonable (very small) tolerance. If you can't meet the consumers custom specs then dont give the option at all.

If I order "OTR" at a local store or online I'm more lenient, but still loft/lie should be within 1*, sw and length should be correct.

I expect it to be exactly as ordered and speced. I mean that is literally their job.

I expect the clubs to be exactly as stated (loft, lie, and length).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be perfect, no excuse for anything less. Especially with the price of clubs now; a good example is the issues people are having with the epic forged irons being off...you pay close to 3k for that set so they should be perfect.

ArmyGolf;n8884686 said:
If I order direct from an OEM with custom length/lie/loft/SW specs then I'm fully expecting those specs to be met within a reasonable (very small) tolerance. If you can't meet the consumers custom specs then dont give the option at all.

If I order "OTR" at a local store or online I'm more lenient, but still loft/lie should be within 1*, sw and length should be correct.

This is pretty much my thought. The specs should be close to spot on in either instance.

I think they should come as ordered to a tee. You see all the videos the companies put out showing their facilities and how they use tech, so there is no reason for it to be wrong.

So everyone who says "perfect" or "exact", what exactly do you mean by that?

I get the impression some people thinks it's possible to stick a club in a loft/lie gauge, read of a lie angle of "60.364" and conclude that it's not "exactly" 60 degrees. Or that a "27 degree" 6-iron which measures "26.611" has the wrong loft.

Et Tu Brute?;n8884800 said:
So everyone who says "perfect" or "exact", what exactly do you mean by that?

I get the impression some people thinks it's possible to stick a club in a loft/lie gauge, read of a lie angle of "60.364" and conclude that it's not "exactly" 60 degrees. Or that a "27 degree" 6-iron which measures "26.611" has the wrong loft.

That is the interesting question, because different machines CAN measure differently. It's why we chose what we chose in the THP Lab. Tolerances will always exist.

JB;n8884811 said:
That is the interesting question, because different machines CAN measure differently. It's why we chose what we chose in the THP Lab. Tolerances will always exist.

Way back in the pre-Internet dark ages, a venerable local clubmaker showed me that. I'm sure his loft/lie gauge was pretty low-tech compared to current equipment but I took my first-ever set of custom fitted Titleist irons to him and asked him to verify the measurements.

He spent a while measuring then handed me a sheet with his measured specs written down. He said, "They did a good job on these, the look fine. The 9-iron loft is a little weak, I can bend it for you if you like".

I looked at the sheet and saw a couple examples like "60" where the Titleist spec said "60.5" or "28.5" instead of "28" and asked what about those. He laughed and said he'd be glad to re-measure and show me something. So he went through the same process, very carefully with me watching. One of the two he got the same number as before, on the other it changed by half a degree.

He explained that it simply isn't possible to be correct to the nearest fraction of a degree every time.

Of course nowadays there are digital gauges and probably better fixtures. But this guy was super experienced and had one of the top-end Mitchell machines, I think his point still stands.

ArmyGolf;n8884686 said:

This EXACTLY ! If it isn't correct, don't send it out until it is.

Back