What are your thoughts on rental clubs?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you always bring your own clubs or do you rent? I prefer to bring my own when I travel but for a non golf vacation if I'm only going to play once sometimes its not worth the hassle. I have only rented clubs a few times and they have always been pretty decent condition. Have you had good experiences with rental clubs?

Not a fan. Maybe because I play irons that are 2* flat, shorter than standard, midsize grips, and DGX100 shafts. I've only used rental clubs twice in my life - once in Disney and once in Hawaii. I'll bring my clubs with me even if I'm only playing one round.

Last trip I called ahead to see what the options were. If I'm playing somewhere that is say a Titleist pro shop or similar then the chance to try new gear is worth not bringing mine otherwise if I can bring mine I will.

I have only used rental clubs once. They were a full set of Titleist 917 woods and AP1 irons. Included a Scotty Cameron Laguna.

Have only used rentals once. Worked out okay as they where Ping irons and I got along with them.

• Admin
Last trip I called ahead to see what the options were. If I'm playing somewhere that is say a Titleist pro shop or similar then the chance to try new gear is worth not bringing mine otherwise if I can bring mine I will.
Thats a good idea I never actually thought of calling ahead.

LOL. You should have seen my lefty rental clubs my last trip to Ireland in 2019 (wasn't a golf vacation but I still had to play a few rounds).

Man that driver looked tiny. :D

irish trip driver rental.jpeg

Irish trip iron rentals.jpeg

depends on the place. The rental bag I was going to use at St. Andrews was all that years newest callaway gear. Rogue woods, Rogue Pro irons, MD4 wedges. The only thing that was old was the odyssey putter. Places like that, to me I checked ahead of time what we'd be looking into. I'm glad I went that route because we ended up not being able to play, so I could return the clubs at no cost and I didn't have to worry about lugging my bag all over the place.

• Admin
I typically bring my clubs whenever I travel and theres a shot at playing some golf, but the couple of times I didnt the rentals were brand new and pretty nice! I guess it depends on where you're going.

Its probably because they are wrong handed haha

Yup. Plus you should have seen the older guy I got paired up with. I'm watching him and couldn't figure out what was up with his swing until I realized he was playing cross handed. Wild. Hit it as straight as an arrow. Former hurler player, and it's very common over there to see cross handed players because of hurling I learned.

I haven't used rental clubs in years... mostly because they weren't that good but, for a lefty, it's what was available at the time.

There's a resort in the Bahamas or the Caribbean or somewhere tropical like that... they say "leave your clubs at home." They say their clubs for rent are probably better than yours anyway.:)

Only rented clubs once. It was at St. Andrews and they were current model Callaways. I told my caddy "if i had my own clubs I would likely be playing alot worse"!!

Never rental!!! If the goal is to enjoy the experience, I enjoy it a lot more playing with my own sticks. Definitely worth the hassle of lugging them around, even if its one round. Or else why even play.

I typically take two types of vacations; family and golf. Family vacations no clubs come along and time is spent on experiences with the kids. Golf vacations I'm going to be bringing my own clubs.

I know through others often times its pay for play. generally the course has two year old model and offerings of the current lineup.

Obviously depends on the level of course being played, but Course recently had Epic (old) or Mavrik clubs for rent.

Rented once probably never again. Kapalua rented their callaway offerings. Took a few holes to adjust. Nothing like your own setup.

I almost always bring my clubs, but it depends on what the rental clubs will be, course(s) being played, and importance of the round. I set up matches a lot when I travel and I'm not using rentals for that. And I don't feel like hacking my way around beautiful course I might only play once in my life with rentals that don't fit well. Most nicer places have pretty good rental clubs though, and I'm only playing about 1 flat right now so if I just wanted to get a round in while we were somewhere, especially if it wasn't planned, I wouldn't be opposed to renting at all.

Doesn't bother me if I know I'm going to play to bring mine even it's just for one round though.

Last year in Vegas and we played the Wynn course. Rental clubs came with the green fees, so went that route. The gave me a nice set of Callaway Epic woods and irons, with a odyssey mallet putter. Worked great for the day.

I wouldn’t mind renting on any trip I only was only playing one round.

I’ve never played away from home. However, we’re looking at going to Hawaii soon and I plan to rent. It’s $55 to rent clubs and would be $50 to check mine on the plane. Not having the hassle of transporting clubs and risking damage or loss is worth that extra $5 to me. Plus, my clubs are just off the rack anyway and what they have at the course I plan to play are a generation newer.

The ONLY time id be ok with renting clubs is if I wasnt planning on playing golf on the trip and somehow ended up playing. They arent fit, they arent the right kind of irons, shafts are way off, everything is off actually. Thats a BIG NO THANKS. I understand why people do, I just refuse to do it if i can

The ONLY time id be ok with renting clubs is if I wasnt planning on playing golf on the trip and somehow ended up playing. They arent fit, they arent the right kind of irons, shafts are way off, everything is off actually. Thats a BIG NO THANKS. I understand why people do, I just refuse to do it if i can
What if you rented a set and shot a personal best? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I've always taken my clubs when travelling if I have any plans to play.

Have never done it and don't really plan to. I'm either playing twice somewhere which justifies bringing my clubs or I'm not playing.

Back