What are your thoughts on rental clubs?

The last few times I took the time to bring my clubs, the course actually had some nice full sets of TM or Titleist rentals, it has me second guessing it for my next non THP trip.

What if you rented a set and shot a personal best? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

It wouldnt happen. Thats an enormous hypothetical that wouldnt even get the chance to happen unless it were by complete accident because i wouldnt have planned on playing. If it actually did happen I think id at least have to reassess if my fitter knew what he was doing. If i didnt get fit and was just blindly guessing at what I should play, id be really confused and then intrigued.

No rentals unless it's a far away trip and don't want to bother with hauling them. If it's primarily a golf trip then taking my own always.

Would take some serious effort to rationalize all the time spent in this forum section. :LOL:

Would take some serious effort to rationalize all the time spent in this forum section. :LOL:

Haha could you imagine? If you play standard clubs I mean why is it not possible?

I'm in the "bring my clubs" camp. One, because I'm stubborn and like my clubs and two, because I'm afraid what I could be getting into with LH rentals.

I'm in the "bring my clubs" camp. One, because I'm stubborn and like my clubs and two, because I'm afraid what I could be getting into with LH rentals.
I can see being LH being an issue for sure, options are likely very limited.

I'll play rental clubs if playing a round of golf is unplanned or unexpected. Usually then I'm out to have a good time, and just enjoying myself. Almost all the resort courses have pretty nice sets. If I'm thinking of playing a serious round I bring or ship my clubs.

If golfing, I prefer my own sticks. If one round, I'd probably rent.

You have to be careful with renting though, if the course rents really good clubs, it could get expensive when you shoot a great round, and decide to buy some new stuff.

I did play at a goat track in the middle of nowhere one time, on a whim, and rented clubs. They handed me a bag, pointed me at a pile of rusty dusty used things in the corner and siad "pick what you want". I didn't want any of them.

Haha could you imagine? If you play standard clubs I mean why is it not possible?
It IS, and that's why I don't even want to think about it! The horror... I had an Elevates experience yesterday and now this. I might already be traumatized just by the thought of it. 😳

Back when I used to go to Maui for 10 days every January, I found a local golf club rental guy. With as little as a couple weeks notice, he would put together a rental set that pretty much matched whatever you wanted (excluding custom shaft options, etc.). Price was very reasonable too.

For me, it's like Break glass, only in emergency. I can do it, but it is not ideal.

I don't think it was my personal best, but I rented a set at Disney (M2's) and was VERY impressed with them. I actually bought the irons at Dick's on a black friday sale that same year. Still playing them now. So no, I'm not opposed to renting clubs at a nice facility.

If I know I am going to golf I will bring my own clubs. I have used rental clubs before and don't see a huge discrepancy between my own.

I never rented, but I borrowed my ex-father-in-law’s clubs on a trip to Acapulco once. I did play the best round of my life with them. The catch was that I was beating a man who was prideful about his golf game during the round I’d planned to ask his blessing to marry his daughter. My nerves about asking him kept my mind off my golf game, and I just executed instead of thinking too much. :ROFLMAO:

I won't do it again. Played on vacation last year in OBX, non golf vacation. FIL and I still wanted to play once. So, I reserved a tee time and the SIM irons. When We arrived, I was told they don't have them, all rented out. I showed them my email for reserving the SIM irons. Not happy. So, they only charged me half price. So, they gave us some the worst rentals I've seen. Grips were falling apart and look like they got them out of the back of the barn and just blew SOME of the cob webs off. I went back in and got my rental fee back. It was an absolutely horrible experience and I will never rent clubs again. Will use a shipping company if I have to.

I have never used rental clubs. I always bring my own clubs. I guess I would rent clubs if I truly needed them, but I prefer to play with my own clubs.

I've never done it and would look to avoid at all costs. My game is bad enough with my own clubs and their custom specs, I'm sure having standard L/L/L would not help :LOL:

Over the last few years I've despised rental clubs no matter how nice they are.

When I played less frequently it didn't bother me at all and let to some great scoring because I wouldn't force anything.

Only rented once in FL... a Titleist pro shop and the rental bags were excellent. Still prefer to bring my own if possible.

When I first started I would rent, and they were always junk but so were the courses. I'm guessing the courses I would travel to play now would all have decent rentals, but with that said, I would still prefer to use my own. If it was like you said a non-golfing vacation and I found myself with a few free hours, I could see doing it though.

Golfing trip: I'd take my own. Non-Golfing trip: I'd most likely rent rather than take the chance of damaging my gamers. My attitude would be that whatever I shot with them would be fine because (1) unfamiliar course, and (2) not my sticks.

I wouldn’t rent the clubs and if I couldn’t figure out how to bring my own I’d skip playing a round during the trip. Game is hard enough for me so using a set that’s not mine won’t help. Definitely not reporting the score either!

Always bring my clubs. They are custom for me and I just can't see myself renting. If it's a vacation where I know I will not be playing then it's not an issue. I don't play. It is not a big deal to put my clubs in my hard case and take them. Just part of it.

My irons/wedges are +2-inches, so there are really no clubs I could rent that would fit.

Back