What area of the US is the holy land for Golf?

I know at one point, Myrtle Beach Sc had over 100 golf courses in the area... a veritable golf mecca. I don't know if that's the case now.

I've heard/read that Michigan I think (or maybe it's Wisconsin) has a LOT of courses as well.

Florida almost certainly.

Southern California

Oregon coast...

It depends on what you're looking for.

Long Island has more courses in the USA top 100 than Florida. Shinnecock, Bethpage and others make Long Island a great golf destination. Always been on my list.

Not a lot of people know that.....
I think a lot of people know Long Island has a ton of fantastic courses, the issue is the only one you can get onto is Bethpage with all others being incredibly exclusive

I think 100 people have said it... but Myrtle.

I'm going with Phoenix/Scottsdale. You never get rained out, and in the Summer, you can play the high $ courses cheap. And there are a ton of courses to play too.

OH, and none of the Bermuda we have in TX - BIG plus...

I think there are really 2 questions here. 1 is where is the “Mecca or holy land” for golf? I’d have to say that’s August GA or Long Island.

But as others have pointed out, while it’s the correct answer it’s also meaningless for 99% of us who have no realistic shot of ever setting foot or playing in one of those clubs.

So for an actual golf destination that mere mortals can realistically travel to and get on the courses to play, it would have to be somewhere like Myrtle Beach.

I didn't play golf when I lived in the Monterey bay, but the only course you ever hear about is pebble. What other courses are are in that area? Once you get up to the city you start to get a lot more but that's 2 hours away almost.

Just starting a conversation, not an argument or making a conversation because I immediately thought Monterey since I lived there but then I realized I never heard of more than pebble.

For world class golf I would assume myrtle based upon what I've heard. They also seen to have a few good courses in Hawaii.

Poppy Hills (NCGA and $85 rate upon joining)
Black Horse
Bayonet
Spyglass
Links at Spanish Bay
Del Monte
Back Nine at Pacific Grove

Long Island.

I was kind of thinking that too if we are looking at some crazy good high-end venues. I mean National golf links, Shinnecock, and Sebonack are all next to each other.

For public golf, Myrtle is probably the place because of the pure number of courses.

For public golf, Myrtle is probably the place because of the pure number of courses.
To me, it's there or the Pinehurst area.

Northern Michigan has to be on the list. Lots of great courses in a small area and most importantly ,reasonable prices. Lots of elevation changes, variety, also.

Northern Michigan has to be on the list. Lots of great courses in a small area and most importantly ,reasonable prices. Lots of elevation changes, variety, also.

Agree that Northern Michigan is underrated and I'll throw in Northern Minnesota as well. Tons of great golf courses that are in fantastic condition that are affordable and can often be played in under 4 hours. Many states such as CA have great golf courses but many of the good ones are expensive and slow to play/difficult to get on.

Wherever the THP Experience is being played that weekend :)

For me it has to be Myrtle. The volume/variety of good courses there seems unmatched. I haven’t traveled around (for golf) much so I could easily be missing other great destinations.
Where do THP’ers go to properly worship the golf gods?

I think Myrtle beach is a common answer. I'd go a bit further to say the "Carolinas"

Bandon/Central Oregon has to be #1 on my list but I have always wanted to hit Carolina and agree that Wisconsin is generally pretty nice.

Pinehurst for the win
Michigan northern lower peninsula
Bandon

It’s gotta be FL or whichever part of CA is capable of year round golf. Or, Hawaii. I remember teeing off in shorts on December 26th to play with some Christmas gifts. Plus the Kama’aina discount makes it more affordable.

Northern MI. Great courses and the prices aren't as stupid as the east and west coasts.

It depends on what you’re looking for. One thing I think a lot of people miss out on or don’t consider is autumn golf. I don’t have much golf travel experience, but Pennsylvania golf in the fall is beautiful!
View attachment 9024542
where's that? can we get on? when do you want to play?

I haven't been to too many places, but for me it's gotta be Palm Springs. Thousands of courses at different price points and almost always perfect weather.

To me it’s Myrtle Beach. So many options for everyone’s price point. Plus it was the first area that came to my mind when I read this question.

Back