What athlete from another sport would be best at a career change to golf?

This guy

JR Smith...

believe he was playing golf during finals off days... not sure of skill

Also Tiger said a while back Smoltz was an awesome golfer... Think he has done some Champions tour events.

Curry. But Phelps would be interesting, too.

Also, not current, but Mario Lemieux (former NHL legend) has a 0.4 handicap, and I believe his home course is Oakmont.

Hockey players tend to be really good at golf because of a similar hand/eye coordination as well as a full hip and body turn through the puck/ball.

When I was a preschooler we lived next door to a pretty good hockey player named Dick Roberge. You know him as Referee Ecker in Slap Shot. Some say he was the inspiration for Paul Newman's character. He is also the all-time leader in minor league goals scored. He was a PGA club pro during his offseasons and after his playing/coaching/acting days. So I would agree hockey players would be good candidates.

Edit - I should note that he's a native Canadian, so of course he is a friendly, polite fellow.

Last edited:
JR Smith...

believe he was playing golf during finals off days... not sure of skill

Also Tiger said a while back Smoltz was an awesome golfer... Think he has done some Champions tour events.

Smoltz is a good one, think he qualified for Senior Open.

No question: Happy Gilmore. He showed us that even a bad hockey player can clean up on tour with just a bit of practice.

I'd have gone with Mantha as the one most likely to be able to step right in, although non hockey fans are unlikely to be aware of him... which is why Curry gets the invites instead.

When I was a preschooler we lived next door to a pretty good hockey player named Dick Roberge. You know him as Referee Ecker in Slap Shot. Some say he was the inspiration for Paul Newman's character. He is also the all-time leader in minor league goals scored. He was a PGA club pro during his offseasons and after his playing/coaching/acting days. So I would agree hockey players would be good candidates.

Awesome story! I love that movie. When I was a kid, we had some friends that owned a public course, and the minor league hockey team in town used to play out there all the time. I remember being a kid running around out there during the summer seeing these guys CRUSHING drives (and beers).

There a few NASCAR drivers that might be able to do it.

I've always heard that hockey players make good golfers. I'm not a hockey fan, but maybe one of the NHL standouts would be a good candidate.

I hadn't thought of Mahomes...but yes...he hits up the TopGolf here in KC from time to time...I've seen other cell phone videos where he was crushing as well....freak athlete, no doubt.

Basketball players because they usually have the best touch. It contributes to them having good short games usually

I've always heard that hockey players make good golfers. I'm not a hockey fan, but maybe one of the NHL standouts would be a good candidate.
I mean yeah totally get this ... Look at Happy Gilmore... haha sorry I had to!

Back