What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Just put up a +8, 78 with an MTB X yellow. I've played the MTB Black quite a bit. I like them both. Gonna have to decide on one or the other. Not sure I wanna keep them both in the inventory. Might end up foing with the X. I think it should be better in the wind.

Duffer Waldorf;n8876903 said:
I've been playing Callaway Supersofts a lot recently, but pulled some WS Duos out of the box for yesterday. It was my best round in a while -- scoring, driving distance, and iron play. I'm not convinced it was all because of a ball change, though.

Srixon Soft Feel and Q-Star Tour are (still) waiting in the wings.

I tried supersofts, and holy cow are they soft. I think I hit one off the toe and it felt like I pured it. Pretty solid ball though. Love the multicolor pack.

I played the Chrome Soft Truvis diamonds yesterday. Just a great ball, plenty of spin even off the Hot Metals and would hold most greens. Rolls wonderful off the putter.

Q Star Tours. Don’t plan on changing anytime in the near future. Consistent in flight and distances, long and feel great off the putter. At around $25 a dozen, it’s hard to beat for a urethane ball. Been buying up all I can when I see them on sale.

I played the Wilson Duo professional in my weekly league and a weekend round. I'm 2 - 0 in the league playing these, winning 5 and 4, never did that before. Weekend round was going well until mid round the OTT move re-appeared. This ball is really really good. If you like a soft ball, like Cally chrome soft, this is one you should try. Plus for my tired, soon to be 58 year old eyes, the orange allows me to follow it longer than any other color I have tried. Buy a sleeve and give these a try.

I've put in several 9-hole practice rounds the last few weeks where I've tried some different balls that were already in the bag from last year. Every couple of holes I would try a different ball. These are all 2018 models. Bridgestone B X and B XS, Snell MTB Black and Red, Titleist Pro V1 and V1x, and Srixon ZStar XV. Performance wise they are all similar for me in terms of distances and spin. The main difference I notice is the sound and feel at impact. I decided to play the ZStar XV for now and at least keep the ball a constant as I work on my game. The price of a dozen is reasonable, and I like the bright white. I can pick out my ball from a grouping at a distance.

Chrome Soft. Actually liked it better than the ERC. A bit more spin but not too much where Im spinning balls off the front of a green.

Bridgestone Tour B XS. Good distance for woods, a lot of iron spin for going into greens. Insane amount of greenside spin. Ball would hit the green and act like there was velcro on the ball and green and just stop.

I made it through a full 18 with only one sleeve of CS Truvis on Tuesday. That was a feat in itself.

The course was a little damp after recent rains, so there was not as much run out off the tee. Carry was in line with what I've seen lately.

These definitely spun more for me on 3/4-full wedges and short irons. I rolled at least 4 back a couple feet, which is something I am not used to. One landed just short of the green with an 8-iron and spun back a bit.

They did not spin as much as I expected on greenside chips and pitches, but that could owe more to my style. They rolled out as much on these shots as I see with a Supersoft or Duo.

Last edited:
Taylormade TP5. Performed well in all aspects of the game.

I played a Bridgestone e6 soft and loved it. Straight off the tee and shirt game was acceptable too. Bought a box for $20! I still like my Chrome Softs but these are great. Tim

Played Chrome Soft X today and loved it. Was tugging the leash a little bit on full swing short irons all day, and put some really nice sauce on some greenside bunker shots.
#sauceit&sendit

Picked up some MTB-X and put them in play yesterday. They definitely feel more firm than what I’ve been playing but that’s not a bad thing. It was only 9 holes and but they seem to go a little farther without as much curve off the driver. I put a different driver into play so that could be it also. Short game spin was as good as any other urethane ball I’ve played

Cut Grey.

Mucho thoughts tomorrow.

Still gaming the yellow Pro V1. Really like how predictable this ball plays for me.

W/S Duo Professional (matte green).

Great feel off of all clubs and minimal roll on approach shots into fairly firm greens.

I just realized that I've been gaming this ball for a bit over a year now. Still very impressed with it.

Normally I play the TP5X, but took a sleeve of RB TourX from Mizuno to try. Felt pretty nice and had good spin on full shots and chips/pitches. Cover didn't seem quite as durable as the TP5X, but still held up fine for 18 holes. Didn't notice much difference in distance between the two either. All things considered a nice ball, but I'll probably stick with the TP5X for now.

I continue to be impressed by the off the tee/distance and approach/short game action that the new Callaway Chromesoft X TT Diamond ball

Wilson Duo Pro (green) - Loving these (y) - Spin and launch are good, sound/feel work for me, way easier for me to track in green. I'm not seeing any performance deficits between the Duo Pro and my normal gamer Srixon QST, and about £3-5 cheaper/doz.

Wislon Duo Soft (white) - I played standard Duos while I was in the US, and once I modified my chipping and stopping expectations, they were fine. Felt /sounded good, very similar to the Duo Pro, and no noticeable distance defecit that we could see. Lovely off the putter.

Honestly - the performance of these two, along with their more than reasonable price point has made me a bit of a W/S ball convert. As a bonus, I can get the standard Duo in the same colour for £15/doz for colder, muddier days (£5 cheaper than the equivalent Srixon), so I can have some measure of consistency at what I play and look at.

Pinnacle Soft (white) - the other ball I played in the US (purely to differentiate my ball from my playing partners), wasn't expecting much, but it was actually OK. Reminded me of a Srixon Soft Feel, not as spinny close to the green, not as spinny as the W/S Duo for me either, but entirely playable. Sounded/felt worst off the puter of all the balls I played, so that meant it wasn't in the running.

On Friday, I shot my best round ever with a Pro V1 in yellow. It did everything well, as would be expected.

Cut Grey

Feels good, not too soft. Seems to lave a little lower spin than the MTB-X and Tour B-RX but not enough to make it unplayable around the green. Seems to fly a little linger off irons for me but it could be I’m striking my irons better also. Does alright in the wind. Hard for me to tell since I play a fade. For the $ it's worth a try

Titleist EXP-01.

An interesting golf ball, and not one that I would play on the regular. However the new dimple pattern they are testing definitely seemed to help with accuracy on long shots. The cover could be a little softer for my taste, which might help with feel around the green.

Played the TP5x yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.

struggled with distance off of driver, but overall putting, shortgame and iron play, I was very happy with the performance.

will go back to XV/CSXTT though

I played the Titleist TruFeel that they sent me. They seemed to perform pretty well in the cold weather I was playing in. No giant distance variation either way from my normal ChromeSoft gamers. But at about half the price, I may have to give them more playing time next season.

Back