What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Played a 2020 Chrome Soft yesterday for a full round for the first time. Really like the solid, firm feel on full shots and the softer feel around and on the greens. To me, it seemed like it produced similar spin, it terms of dispersion, to a Tour B RX and AVX but produced slightly more backspin when hitting them into the green than those 2 balls. Distance I thought was on par with those 2 balls and the ProV1. The triple track markings are a take it or leave it for me. Used them at first but they did not seem to produce any advantage to me so I then went back to my preferred looking at blank space on the ball.

Played my Father’s Day gift from my wife in the Srixon Z Star XV yesterday. (Custom with my baby daughters name and birth date) 🙏🏼

These things are super long. I feel like they absolutely jet off the club face. The stopping power around the greens was very nice.

Seems like a great ball especially at the annual bogo opportunity.

Played the new 2020 Chrome Soft X, thanks to @noodle3872 sending me a couple sleeves to try.

I have no complaints and absolutely could make this my go-to ball. I'm basically at the point where I can't putt without triple track and I feel the X offers me a few things that the regular Chrome Soft doesn't. Great speed off the face and a nice flight, especially with my hybrids and long irons. Hit some absolute piss missile 3 Hybrids off the tee that still have me smiling.
Iron distances seemed to be more predictable and consistent, but I was struggling to get 1/2 and 3/4 wedges to bite.

Gamed the srixon xv yellow today. Great ball and exceptional price point when on sale.

Had been playing Pro V1X pretty exclusively but tried the regular Pro V1. Really liked it and going to play it the next few rounds. As long or even longer for me than the x.

2020 Chrome Soft. Not sure why I am trying other balls as this one does every thing I need. Has the colors I like, (yellow TT plus Truvis) Plenty of spin on approach shots, feels great coming off the putter.

Played a couple holes with the B RXS today also, plenty long great spin, but doesn't have the soft feel off the putter I like,

Yellow Chrome Soft X.
Every time I play these balls, they just reinforce that I have made the right choice in playing them.

I put a sleeve of 2020 CS w/ Truvis in the bag today since I wanted to be able to fairly enter the Grandmama contest.

Initial impression in hand was that the cover felt as soft or softer than my regular ball with is a ProV1. I got a few "ooh, a soccer ball" comments from my playing partners but that stopped pretty quick once I ripped it 70 yards past them down the middle of the fairway. Like @Sox_Fan expressed, it seemed to have a firm feel on full shots. The Truvis pattern gives an immediate indicating of spin direction right off the club face; obviously the spin is too high to see the individual chevrons but I found I could at least spot the spin axis. Distance was on par with my regular ball, I might suggest it could even be a couple of yards longer.
From 100 yards in the ball gave me a softer feel on full and partial shots, and I was getting "hop and stop" action on well struck shots which is something that I haven't had for some time. Despite this, the cover of the ball showed no signs of wear after 18 full holes. Feel off the putter face was a tad on the soft side, although it provided excellent audible feedback.

I feel like I'm in an extreme minority, in that I game the RB Tour X. It's an amazing ball that flies super under the radar. I guess most people shy away because of durability issues (yes I have experienced this), but I feel its worth it, for what the ball delivers for my game.

I put a sleeve of 2020 CS w/ Truvis in the bag today since I wanted to be able to fairly enter the Grandmama contest.

Initial impression in hand was that the cover felt as soft or softer than my regular ball with is a ProV1. I got a few "ooh, a soccer ball" comments from my playing partners but that stopped pretty quick once I ripped it 70 yards past them down the middle of the fairway. Like @Sox_Fan expressed, it seemed to have a firm feel on full shots. The Truvis pattern gives an immediate indicating of spin direction right off the club face; obviously the spin is too high to see the individual chevrons but I found I could at least spot the spin axis. Distance was on par with my regular ball, I might suggest it could even be a couple of yards longer.
From 100 yards in the ball gave me a softer feel on full and partial shots, and I was getting "hop and stop" action on well struck shots which is something that I haven't had for some time. Despite this, the cover of the ball showed no signs of wear after 18 full holes. Feel off the putter face was a tad on the soft side, although it provided excellent audible feedback.
Would you change from ProV1 if price was not an issue?

I played the Maxfli Tour CG ball yesterday. I had found a sleeve in the basement, I had bought them last fall and forgot about them. They are good, I like the flight of them but the wedge game with them isn’t as good as with the 2020 Chrome Softs I have too.

Would you change from ProV1 if price was not an issue?
I think I would, not sure yet if it would be the CS or Tour BX though. All 3 are great balls for sure. For me distance is better with Tour BX off the driver. All 3 are great with irons and putter. CS driver distance is Also quite good. I currently am using both because the CS can be had in yellow and I prefer that at low light times. Currently Id be happy playing any of them. If I could get a one time deal I think I’d go Tour BX. I really need to test CS X.

I played an MG Senior ball on a par 3 water hole today. I had found it earlier in the round, and I'm known for hooking balls into the water on this particular hole so I often use a sacrificial ball for it. The MG was hard as a rock, flew about 10 yards further than I expected, and felt like s**t off my putter - the cover was nasty hard, but the ball felt and sounded like it was hollow and I left the putt about 4 feet short. I tossed it off to the side of the green after the hole, hopefully somebody else will get some use out of it.

I played an MG Senior ball on a par 3 water hole today. I had found it earlier in the round, and I'm known for hooking balls into the water on this particular hole so I often use a sacrificial ball for it. The MG was hard as a rock, flew about 10 yards further than I expected, and felt like s**t off my putter - the cover was nasty hard, but the ball felt and sounded like it was hollow and I left the putt about 4 feet short. I tossed it off to the side of the green after the hole, hopefully somebody else will get some use out of it.

I've always wondered just how hard it was. The MG Senior ball is non-conforming. It's designed for slower swing players looking for extra distance.

I've always wondered just how hard it was. The MG Senior ball is non-conforming. It's designed for slower swing players looking for extra distance.
I researched it afterward and discovered that it was non-conforming, lol. I can see the extra distance being true, but man is it a terrible feeling ball! It's in the same price tier as a Callaway Supersoft/Srixon Soft Feel, and both of those balls are head and shoulders above the MG. I'd go back to the Noodle Easy Distance or Long & Soft (or even the Precept Laddie) over the MG, all at a lower price point.

I researched it afterward and discovered that it was non-conforming, lol. I can see the extra distance being true, but man is it a terrible feeling ball! It's in the same price tier as a Callaway Supersoft/Srixon Soft Feel, and both of those balls are head and shoulders above the MG. I'd go back to the Noodle Easy Distance or Long & Soft (or even the Precept Laddie) over the MG, all at a lower price point.

I'd like to hit a few with a non-conforming driver just for giggles.

Played 18 in WI Dells at Cold Water Canyon and my partner had picked me up some Wilson Duo Optix Green golf balls. I forgot how much I liked playing these. They're cheap (if you get last years model) and they perform just as good, if not better, than the TP5x I've been playing all year.

I'll definitely be picking up some more of them. The bright colors don't hurt either for my old eyes.

After an unprecedented personal run of not losing golf balls, I slid back into losing a couple per 9 holes over the last 36 or so holes (we got rained out during rounds a couple times). Last night I grabbed 4 balls out of my bag. A Maxfli Tour, A TaylorMade RBZ Soft, & two Prov's... the first 2 I had finished the back 9 with of my last round. Both played ok, no complaints.

After what ended up being my worst shot of the round (chunked 5i off the tee that didn't even make to the 1st creek) I hit the maxfli with a solid 7w that flew the 1st & 2nd creeks but didnt stop and disappeared into the tall grass/weeds. Didn't find the maxfli but found a bridgestone & another prov. They'll both need cleaned up and might be decent shag bag balls.

Lost the rbz on the 4th hole after a drive left me with a short angle across the fairway that again ran thru and ended up lost in the weeds. Found another ball, forget what it was, it had crossbones by the number which was in a chunky font... the weeds & grass are so thick they just swallow balls up.

Played out the front with one of the Prov's, hit two long drives though they both faded a little more than I'd like. Went to 10 and planned on that fade into a fairway that slopes down left to right. Pulled one dead straight. It held the line of the tall grass and again just disappeared. Hit the motherlode this time with a Chromesoft TT, a Titleist Tour Soft and a Bridgestone e12...

#11 is a tough driving hole (lake left/woods right) and not knowing what sort of shot to expect I hit the crossbones ball. Hit it about as well as I could, mid-high draw right down the middle. There is a ridge that I have ridden a long ways before but it didn't quite take it. Not sure if the turf was too soft or the ball had too much spin. Still 280+... The hole is a par 5 with the green guarded by water & bunkers so I decided to layup and pushed an 8i (away from the water) that caught the cart path and just rolled into the damn tall grass/weeds again never to be seen. Stepped on another Prov and a Chromesoft.

Dropped my 2nd Prov that I started with into play and finished the round with it.

I know its a model from a few years back, not sure which. But my goodness that ball just produces great shots. My last 4 approaches on par 4's were from 62, 57, 50 & 49 yards. Its not a long course but I was swinging away with all the confidence in the world. On 18 I really needed one in play to have shot at catching my opponent. I took a 75% swing which can be hard after swinging away and still hit a baby draw that rolled into the slot of the narrow fairway to get me inside of 50 yards. The 58 degree wedge shot spun sideways somehow (I guess with the slope) and rolled past the pin about 15 feet. 2 putt par for an 86, lost by 2.

I look forward to trying out the Tour Soft and Chromesoft TT. I showed the TT to my wife and told her I want the Odyssey #7 TT for Christmas... she said "well Santa better order that himself..." :p

Played a TP5x. Wanted to get used to the feel before I pull out the Pix 2.0 balls

Need to play another round with it to get a feel for it as I didn't really play that well

played the same z-star i played last round...still good. not sure what else to say. 😁

I have been playing TP5x for two years tried Taylormade Tour Response for something different and like it a lot. Feels a little softer than TP5x and flies a little further but still checks up on greens. Ten dollars a dozen cheaper and just as durable.

Played the TP5 Pix 2.0 again last night and I'm just fascinated with this ball still. It feels great off all clubs and when putting its so good. Action on the green is good and the cover has held up pretty well too.

Back