What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

buckeyewalt

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
At this stage of the season and the leaves, I'm not going to be too picky about what I play. I still play my rotation of balls but soon I will switch to a softer ball(like TM soft response) for the winter months.

chile

Guy LeDouche
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Chocolate
played the TP5 on the front 9...and my ball of choice, the AVX, on the back 9...the AVX just works better for me. i get great feel off the fw woods and irons, and i get better spin around the greens with it. wish these would go on sale

Elmave

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Getting cooler here so i gave the Titleist Tour Soft yellow a shot. Easy to follow seems to get good distance and it really performed off the tee to and on the green. Impressed

Carolina Dundee

Better to be lucky than good
Reaction score
Handicap
Didn’t start the round with it but I did play a last gen Titleist AVX for 13 holes today and it was amazing.

I normally play a ProV1x so I was worried about the spin but for the carry distance I lost I felt it rolled out to about the same.

this ball got beat up and performed the same until it decided to leave me

Last edited:

tehuti

Reaction score
Handicap
Still playing the matte green OnCore Avant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohthehumanity

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been gaming the Z Star for a year now, and I cannot see myself switching any time soon. Especially when I buy 6 dozen at Father's Day BOGO. You cannot beat it for the price, and the performance for me is right there with the Chrome Soft which is my ball of choice, but it's too expensive for my taste and ability :ROFLMAO:

OhioGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Weather
Still playing the Oncore Elixr for the most part and loving it.

Joshnoble01

Reaction score
I bought a dozen tp5x pic practice balls someone posted. Played the back 9 with one. Really good ball.

bombs

Reaction score
Handicap
Gamed the Bridgestone Tour B X on Saturday. It is by far the longest ball I have ever played off the tee. I hated putting with it though so not sure the distance is worth it. Felt even worse than the TP5x which I alos hate.

I'd love a ball that performs off the tee like the Tour B X but has the short game feel that i love with my current gamer ball TP5.

Next balls in the rotation are the Z Star and Pro v1.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
Enjoyed the Saintnine X

Tour B XS and Srixon XV is pretty enter changeable to me

braveheart

Reaction score
Handicap
Usually play any ProV or ProVx I find. Also any Srixon or Bridgestone balls. The last two times out in 40 degree, leaves all over the place, I found and enjoyed using a red Topflite Bomb and a red Callaway Supersoft. Easy to see and both were straight and long. They do roll more on landings and putts but I’m not complaining.

RealPretendPsychic

Team THP Grandaddy 2020(1)
Reaction score
Handicap
Played another round primarily with the Pro V1x. Something was out of whack, but I continued to be impressed with the spin around the green. I was not striking the ball well, but definitely didn’t give up any distance with this ball when I hit it well.

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
ERC Soft TT on the front 9. This ball really launches off the driver and plays well off the irons. A touch more roll out than I am used to on chips but still played well around the green. I will give it another couple rounds before making a decision on it.
Srixon Soft Feel on the back 9. Good ball off the driver, hit several of my longest drives with this ball today. Definitely tames some spin for me.
good on approach shots and on chips around the green.
Both balls felt good off the TT Ten putter.

brian7770

Taking Lessons and Trying to Improve
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was fitted using Pro V1 balls, but I'm still at a point in my game where I lose a few too many balls. Therefore, I'd like similar performance in a more affordable ball, so I started looking at direct to consumer balls like Snell and OnCore. In general, I was getting the expected "hop and stop" into the greens. Also reading some test stats online with swing speeds similar to mine, they all appear to have similar stats with Driver, 7-iron, and Wedges. In the end, I'm seriously considering the OnCore ELIXR as my gamer come next season.

billyh

If you can't laugh at yourself...
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
49EDD8B0-607A-47C1-81A7-22529EEC3B22.jpeg
I was quite impressed with the Top Flight Gammer. Got it to spin back with a 7 iron. I might have found a cheap ball that fits me fairly well.

bombs

Reaction score
Handicap
Need some ball advice.

I absolutely love hitting the Tour B X with the driver. I am getting some oustanding distance and it has made some of the shorter par 4's on my home course gettable. However the sound/feel completely throws off my putting so I can't game it.

My current gamer is the TP5 because I love the feel putting and around the greens, but I feel like i'm giving too much up off the tee.

I experimented with the TP5X but I don't like putting with it either. I found it to be longer then the TP5 but not in the same league as the Tour B X.

Any tips on what to try next?

I am thinking Z-Star, Tour B XS or ProV1.

tequila4kapp

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Need some ball advice.

I absolutely love hitting the Tour B X with the driver. I am getting some oustanding distance and it has made some of the shorter par 4's on my home course gettable. However the sound/feel completely throws off my putting so I can't game it.

My current gamer is the TP5 because I love the feel putting and around the greens, but I feel like i'm giving too much up off the tee.

I experimented with the TP5X but I don't like putting with it either. I found it to be longer then the TP5 but not in the same league as the Tour B X.

Are you married to your putter? What about trying someth8ng with a softer or different insert?

tequila4kapp

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Q Star Tour. I really like this ball - it does everything well for me. The greens were admittedly soft today but I was seeing balls roll back from the pitch mark or stopping immediately next to it. Good distance off the tees. Great feel,off the irons. I even like the thick align,ent line for putting.

buckeyewalt

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Going to my winter ball, Wilson Duo Professional. I still mix a few others here and there. but for the most part it's the Wilson.

bombs

Reaction score
Handicap
Are you married to your putter? What about trying someth8ng with a softer or different insert?
Very married.

My putter insert is already quite soft.

The only putter model I've played previously that was softer is the older Odysseys.

HarlettoScara

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been using a box of Callaway SuperSoft that I picked up cheap and so far I'm very impressed. Plenty of stop on irons and great around the green. Not convinced by the performance off the tee as yet, but we'll see....

WMac19

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Need some ball advice.

I'm very similar to you in that the Tour B X is very long for me off driver but as I run through the set down to putter, I appreciate its feel less and less.

I also feel similarly as to what you expressed about the TP5 and TP5x.

I prefer a softer feeling ball. I haven't yet come across any that will offer the absolute best of both worlds but the two that have come closest for me are the Z-Star and Snell MTB Black, giving the slight nod to the Snell.

While I don't get the same consistently long distances, shot to shot, with the MTB Black as I do the B X, its sneaky long with my better shots absolutely the equal to those with the B X.

But with every other club and particular shot including putts, I find the Snell to be better for my game.

Another ball that's very long for me and plays well while feeling soft is the Mizuno RB Tour. Only, it's durability from box to box has been good to abysmal so I can't really recommend it.

I tend to make lots of birdies with that darned ball, though.

J.B. Cobb III

J.C. 3 Stix
Reaction score
Handicap
Played the Callaway ERC soft Saturday. Love the Triple Track Technology. Wasn’t impressed by the performance of the ball. Didn’t like the feel and had very little greenside spin.

billyh

If you can't laugh at yourself...
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
Played the Callaway ERC soft Saturday. Love the Triple Track Technology. Wasn’t impressed by the performance of the ball. Didn’t like the feel and had very little greenside spin.
That was a ball that I was half way interested in. I'm glad I saw this.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in