What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Just played 9 with a Q-STAR DIVIDE

Just played 18 with the Q star tour Divide. Love the ball (but I am a q star ball player) nice to see the spin, helps with putting, easy to see. I say WINNER

I played some CSX. I've shared my thoughts on the durability, but in long conditions yesterday it really showed why these just don't hold up for me. I've said I can chew through them in a few holes fairly regularly, I just never quite got how or why. Yesterday I ran through a few of them and was looking at them after every shot instead of just when I would putt or tee off, and the reasons were more obvious. WEDGES. I clip my wedges pretty well, and with decent speed, plus mine usually aren't very old, and it just shreds these balls. I could basically predict it by the end of the round. This shot, this lie, is gonna scuff this ball. Outside of that enormous flaw I actually kind of like their performance.

I've been tempted over the years to use the Pro V1, but have been dissuaded by the price. Instead, I've been using the Tour BX to gain a little more distance.
My last round, I switched to the Pro V1 mid-round and the results were pleasing, to say the least. Going forward, Pro V1 will be my ball of choice.

I had a couple of two ball samples laying around, TP5 and TP5x, so played them yesterday, first time I've played either one. Really liked them both more than I expected, with the TP5 probably a bit more suited for my game and swing speed, but both performed really well. The only real negative was the TP5x cover, which has to be the thinnest I've seen. One bounce off a cart path and it peeled a scuff down to the mantle layer, which wasn't really that deep because that cover is paper thin. Other than the durability of the TP5x, I'd compare them favorably with the Callaway Chrome Softs for performance, good feel and distance off the tee, mid and short irons stop pretty quick, and they check nicely on shots around the greens.

I'd probably play the TP5 if I came into some, but I'm really well stocked with Srixon Q-Star Tours, so I won't be changing balls anytime soon.

Found a TP5 last night (don't know which year version) on the 1st hole so played that for the rest of the 9 holes and would say it performed pretty similar to the Chrome Soft
Normally I play the X version of the Chrome Soft and have been playing the TP5x as well, but due to my back, my swing speed is down quite considerably, so the standard version is likely a better ball at the moment

Durability - it clipped a few trees with wayward shots but other than the slight marking it held up well
Performance - spin seemed on par with the Chromesoft for the 50yd or so shots, I was getting some nice hop and stop on our greens. I did hit one of the longest drives I have hit for a while on the par 5 9th hole - not sure on actual distance, but it is uphill from the tee and I was able to see the flag from my ball which is rare seeing as it is over the crest of a rise
Putting - I don't tend to take much notice in feel other than being able to distinguish between a softer and firmer ball due to the sound at impact, but I rolled it well

Overall it held up well and performed how I would like a ball of that level to perform at, although it still doesn't float...
Hit a few shots back down the 15th on the way back to the clubhouse and caught a wedge heavy and dunked it in the water short of the green, so dropped a Chrome Soft and hit the same shot (cleanly) with my 58° wedge and spun it off the side of the green

View attachment 9010989

I played the Chromesoft X with TT again. Trying to get rid of them. Good news is, despite playing extremely well, I am. Because they only last about 3 holes for me.

When they first came out I tried them from 4 different purchases, said they were the worst ball I'd ever played in terms of durability, not for me, and pretty much moved out of the thread. I've been trying to play CSX a little bit lately, and a couple others, looking for a slightly different spin profile. I didn't comment on the durability after my last round with these TT's I've had laying around for a while, but I feel it necessary after today.

Very soft conditions, no stray balls, and played the Z-Star XV for the first 10 holes. It's okay. 1 scuff. Meant to switch to CSX on the back, but forgot. Had a wet phone issue distracting me. Anyway, put them in play on 11, and went through 3 in 8 holes. I mean... wt? There were plenty of apologists when they first came out and plenty of people still love this ball, but that's ridiculous. One had a deeper abrasion and I tossed it. I think it was from a fairway bunker 4i on #12. Good strike. It never teed 13. These are the other two after cleaning. I probably wouldn't put either one back in play.

I've had some great results and rounds (64 today) with the irons I've been hoping they'd be a better ball fit for, and good driver results with my current setup, but 3 balls in 8 holes on a wet and pretty plush course is kinda crazy. I looked up my original comments, and I said then it took me about 3 holes to chew one of these. Apparently that's still true. Results always vary, but for me that's just not gonna work. @McLovin has said the yellow are more durable for him, but I don't play yellow. I have a coupe sleeves, and if I get bored enough I'll put them in play as an experiment. I have no desire to play yellow long term though. Seriously disappointing.
Man this is odd. I don't think I have had this issue at all, but this isn't the first time hearing/reading about the durability. I played one for almost 9 holes before putting it in the drink and it didn't look like these. To be fair though, you are a much better player than I haha. I love the CSX TT, but that still sucks that you are going through them every three holes, especially for the price of this ball. I would probably play either of those balls the rest of the round if it looked like that after 3 holes, but I wouldn't start a new round with either of them. Probably sounds silly, but it's my OCD wanting to start with a nice fresh ball each round.

Last ball I played, which was this weekend, was the 2020 Callaway CSX-TT and it did well. Greens were very firm where I played so it had a little more roll out than I prefer on 50 yards and in, but I started adjusting for it. I had a couple shots stop within a few inches of the spot the ball landed. I have a bunch of these and CSX-LS to work my way through and then will be switching though to the Snell MTB-X. I think they are very very similar in results I have seen, but the price of Snell is hard to beat! It's not a knock on Callaway because I really like the CSX/CSX-LS, just hard to stomach $50 a dozen when you can get pretty much same results for a descent amount cheaper. Not saying I wont splurge either, lol.

Have been using the Callaway ERC Soft Triple tracks for about a month now and have really enjoyed them. I seem to be getting a bit more check around the greens without a ton of extra side spin off the tee. Price wise they are in my sweet spot as well.

Man this is odd. I don't think I have had this issue at all, but this isn't the first time hearing/reading about the durability. I played one for almost 9 holes before putting it in the drink and it didn't look like these. To be fair though, you are a much better player than I haha. I love the CSX TT, but that still sucks that you are going through them every three holes, especially for the price of this ball. I would probably play either of those balls the rest of the round if it looked like that after 3 holes, but I wouldn't start a new round with either of them. Probably sounds silly, but it's my OCD wanting to start with a nice fresh ball each round.
Doesn't sound silly to me. Most players I know are like that. That's what makes it so frustrating for me with those balls - I really don't give a crap what my ball looks like compared to most! ... And it's still terrible! :LOL:. Wedges just tear then up for me, and then I putt with them, fine, but when I get to the next and go to tee it up it's infuriating. I have a whole bunch of edited videos of me venting my frustrations to those who are nearby in those moments. Haha

Yesterday played a Bridgestone TOUR B RXS. Wanted to reduce some spin off the tee, while still providing high spin around the greens as ours are playing incredibly firm and fast right now. I liked it quite a bit. Especially off the tee where I was seeing really good distance.

callaway chrome soft. i don't think there is a better ball out there. at least for my game

Doesn't sound silly to me. Most players I know are like that. That's what makes it so frustrating for me with those balls - I really don't give a crap what my ball looks like compared to most! ... And it's still terrible! :LOL:. Wedges just tear then up for me, and then I putt with them, fine, but when I get to the next and go to tee it up it's infuriating. I have a whole bunch of edited videos of me venting my frustrations to those who are nearby in those moments. Haha
Yeah, I usually just turn it around so the scuffed part wont hit my driver.

Decided to played Z-Star V6 Yellow on Tuesday night as I had a sleeve left and was waiting to be my Yellow ProV1's to arrive.
Figured they were the same so I thought I'd use them up.
Really happy with the results - Got some nice short game spin.

I've been playing RXS most of the season. My last round out I mixed in some QST. I think tonight I'm going to give the trusty Z Star a chance.

Yeah, I usually just turn it around so the scuffed part wont hit my driver.
So you just throw the entire aerodynamics package right out the window, on the shot that's meeting the most wind resistance??

Okay, why are you all the opposite crazy of me on this?!? My buddies hate putting with a scuffed ball, but I've heard this exact thing from some of them off the tee, and I'm like...

:ROFLMAO:

So you just throw the entire aerodynamics package right out the window, on the shot that's meeting the most wind resistance??

Okay, why are you all the opposite crazy of me on this?!? My buddies hate putting with a scuffed ball, but I've heard this exact thing from some of them off the tee, and I'm like...

:ROFLMAO:

So a small scuff will be ok, but if it's big or a gash, yeah that ball is going in the side pocket and a new one is going in play. Guess I should have clarified more lol. If is the scuff is minor I will game it. Feel of the cover over the scuff is going to tell me if I will game it or not.

I've been playing cheaper balls lately, primarily Srixon Soft Feel and most recently (last couple rounds) AD333. I can't say that I love them, both seem very soft and I question whether they're the right fit for my game. No issues around the green with them, as last night I had both an 8iron and 54 wedge stop right where they landed on the green, but I do feel like I've lost some distance with my irons and driver especially. I noticed tangible improvements last year when I started playing the premium balls and think I want to go back that route now that my game is kind of back on track. I'm thinking I want to try out the Chrome Soft X LS, but will admit there are so many options out there it's tough to decide. Would like to try out the Bridgestone B XS, TP5X, and the Z-Star XV.

I've been playing RXS most of the season. My last round out I mixed in some QST. I think tonight I'm going to give the trusty Z Star a chance.
Did you notice a discernable difference between RXS and QST?

Liking the e12 Contact so much. Everything about it.
I’m giving e12 Contact a shot on Saturday (thanks, @MSEASU!). I’m curious to see how well they hold on the green.

Used up some old balls the other night on a nine hole round. The Tour B RXS was a leftover from my early season auditions. Still seeems a little to spinny for me, but I love it otherwise. Just for comparison, I pulled out a trusty Supersoft. It rolls out more on the green than I want to see, but it is still a superb ball for the price and their version of yellow works for me. Will probably be my cold weather ball over the Staff Duo Optix.

My ball of choice is now the e12 Contact. It does everything well. I picked up a dozen in matte red yesterday, and I think it will be the best all-condition ball for visibility. They were right next to the Titleist rack and the AVX, which works really, really well for me. I paused for about a half-second and then picked up the Contacts. I'm not sure the AVX is a better ball for me than the Contact, but I am positive it's not $20/dz better.

I’m giving e12 Contact a shot on Saturday (thanks, @MSEASU!). I’m curious to see how well they hold on the green.
I hit a 112 yard tee shot on a short par 3 yesterday and the ball stopped 2 inches to the left of the ball mark on the green.

I'm not good enough with my irons or wedges to control how much spin I put on the ball on full swings - I hit it, and it is what it is. But when I hit a good one, the e12 Contact will drop and stop nicely.

Just played 18 and I am continually impressed with the Bridgestone Tour B RXS.

The distance off the tee is amazing.

Been playing my last few rounds with the tour bx. Been a great experiment so far!

Back