What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

With the continued issues Snell are having with the MTB-X with supply, I again used the Pro V1x. I like it. I like it a lot. It seems to do everything the Snell does, but maybe just that little bit better. Goes slightly further. Spins slightly more into the greens. And still gives me that nice pop off the putter face that I need. I think these are staying put.

I have a hard time getting spin on the green with any ball. I just don't have the technique down. With this in mind, I wonder why I play premium balls and not something like the E12?
That's exactly why I don't play $50 balls. I can sometimes put enough spin on the ball to stop the e12 within inches of its ball mark on the green from 100+ yards. I can also sometimes put so little spin that I could run any ball off the back of the green. Problem is that I don't do either consistently, nor can I do them on command. On greenside shots, I notice virtually no difference in performance between a ball like the e12, Supersoft, etc. and a premium ball like a Chrome Soft, Z Star, ProV1, etc.

Took a chance and put the Bridgestone Tour B RXS in the bag for a club major yesterday, and finished with a round of 80 (nett 71, par 72) including 3 double bogeys and 1 eagle (hole out from 60yds+ on a par 5)

The club had hosted a major county event on Saturday, so the greens were running quicker than normal, but still receptive, and due to the nice weather we have had, the fairways had some roll as well

My driver swing was a bit erratic at times, but on good swings the ball certainly got out there in terms of distance, giving me shots at a couple of greens on long par 4's that I wouldn't normally expect - I almost reached the new hazard on the 1st hole which is not something I normally have to take into account from the back tees

Iron shots were fairly solid, distance was what I would expect to see at the moment, although I did almost fly a par 3 when I misjudged the wind

Approach shots, when struck well, were stopping pretty quick - I don't tend to spin the ball back, but a couple times yesterday I had the ball land on subtle slopes that got the ball moving either backwards or sidewards depending on the slope

Putter - The ball felt solid off the face without feeling clicky, although strikes off the toe were noticeable in terms of sound (Odyssey O-Works #1W) and feel. The faster the green, the better I tend to putt, and yesterday saw a lot of burned edges with how well our greens were rolling. The couple 3 putts I had were completely down to the idiot holding the putter

I played the same ball for the entire round, and despite clipping a tree on one hole and a thinned bunker shot it held up well and could be used again

I put some Bridgestone e12 Contacts in play this weekend as Dick's was out of the Chrome Softs I wanted.
I must say that I was quite impressed. They felt really good off all of the club faces, the distances were the same as the CS and the spin was the same as well.
At $29.99 per dozen they appear to be a good value.
I will say that one of them scuffed pretty bad on a well struck wedge from 120 out but that is my only complaint.

Used.jpg

Played the Chrome Soft Truvis tonight and had a pretty nice round. Pretty happy with this ball, just not sure I like it more than the TP5X that I normally play. Good durability and it definitely felt softer. Struggled with it off the putter though I think because of that softness. Will test out the Chrome Soft X and LS version though as those seem pretty popular.

Been tinkering with the 12C. The more I hit it through the bag the more I tend to like it. Here is a pic of 3 balls I hit with the gap wedge at 100 out. The red I have marked is where they hit the green. I didn’t think they ran out too much. Now debating to put it in play tomorrow in league.

Attachments

• F2175675-8030-42A9-AB64-C87C78702AB5.jpeg
    F2175675-8030-42A9-AB64-C87C78702AB5.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 22
Well, I was set to play the 12C tonight but the RBTourX just felt right when warming up. AND it did not disappoint

Last edited:
I played mostly my ball, TP5x, but a buddy who takes sleeves of balls all the time, of all kinds, decided to 'pay me back' with a (singular) sleeve of CSX LS (tf?), so I put them in play on a couple holes. Hadn't played them in a while. Only really tested them when they first came out.

Still don't like them. lol Just a bad fit for me. Not enough spin on wedges and partials, doesn't stay stable or in the air long enough on driver, etc...

One thing was really noticeable though that I guess (?) I hadn't noticed in testing. It sounded and felt like 💩 off a hollow body face. I think when I hit them before I was playing ZX7, MB's, TCB's, etc, mostly focusing on spin, and it wasn't driving iron/utility season yet. That's the only way I can figure I didn't hit this combo before. I decided to bring the X Forged UT since it's a shorter course for me and was really enjoying it. Such a good feeling utility. And then I hit one with the CSX LS with it and was like HOLY HELL that feels like trash. I mean made the club feel less good. Just not a good match. I only have one of each that I got on clean video, so I pieced them together to see how they sound.

Hard to tell on my phone, and all ears and speakers are different, but I'd guess most will hear quite a difference for two of the firmer balls. Could get all the dense feels of the X Forgued UT with TP5X, but both times with CSX LS did not feel good. I found that interesting because I assume more people who are a fit for and use that ball are playing some kind of hollow/techier club too in the pursuit of distance/less spin/etc. So I was kind of wondering if people have noticed it with certain clubs? I'm sure the benefits outweigh the feel changes for most, but it caught me a little off guard, that's all.

Last edited:
I played the OnCore Avant55 today and it really performed well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got done early while in Denver. Played a muni with B-Stone RX’s great ball. Held i’s a line on putts. Like the sound.

I played mostly my ball, TP5x, but a buddy who takes sleeves of balls all the time, of all kinds, decided to 'pay me back' with a (singular) sleeve of CSX LS (tf?), so I put them in play on a couple holes. Hadn't played them in a while. Only really tested them when they first came out.

Still don't like them. lol Just a bad fit for me. Not enough spin on wedges and partials, doesn't stay stable or in the air long enough on driver, etc...

One thing was really noticeable though that I guess (?) I hadn't noticed in testing. It sounded and felt like 💩 off a hollow body face. I think when I hit them before I was playing ZX7, MB's, TCB's, etc, mostly focusing on spin, and it wasn't driving iron/utility season yet. That's the only way I can figure I didn't hit this combo before. I decided to bring the X Forged UT since it's a shorter course for me and was really enjoying it. Such a good feeling utility. And then I hit one with the CSX LS with it and was like HOLY HELL that feels like trash. I mean made the club feel less good. Just not a good match. I only have one of each that I got on clean video, so I pieced them together to see how they sound.

Hard to tell on my phone, and all ears and speakers are different, but I'd guess most will hear quite a difference for two of the firmer balls. Could get all the dense feels of the X Forgued UT with TP5X, but both times with CSX LS did not feel good. I found that interesting because I assume more people who are a fit for and use that ball are playing some kind of hollow/techier club too in the pursuit of distance/less spin/etc. So I was kind of wondering if people have noticed it with certain clubs? I'm sure the benefits outweigh the feel changes for most, but it caught me a little off guard, that's all.

I've not played the LS. The CSx is passable. But as I've said, this iteration of the TP5x, is perfect. It's so good, I honestly don't know how it's not talked about more.

It's light years ahead of any Titleist ball, yet, gets no love.

Won a couple sleeves of Srixon Q Stars the other day and was a good playing ball pretty much all around. Tee shots were solid and irons from the fairway were good. No complaints at all.

I have gone all in on the yellow pro v1. I get more driver distance and iron/wedge spin with the v1x, but overall the feel (esp putter) and balanced performance of the v1 is my thing. I never thought I would play a Titleist ball. I plan to buy another dozen today with shop credit.

Chrome soft X. I think I may have found my ball for the year. I LOVE triple track. There I said it!! 😳

I have been playing the Saintnine U Pro. For the price it’s a very good ball. I like the performance. My only negative is that I find is that there are some minor durability concerns.

Been doing some experimenting with the tour bx, was playing left dash for a long time, but irons were really inconsistent distances for me. Would get some crazy fliers, also I was looking for a touch more grab on chip shots and a little nicer feel. The pro v1x was more spin then what I was looking for. The Tour BX has been great so far. Shot my lowest comp scores ever with it.

Received 2 sleeves of test balls from Titleist the other day so played one of the balls on the front 9 and the other variety on the back 9. Thinking maybe they are prototype AVX balls since the last version was released in early 2020. I have always really liked the AVX balls, more than ProV1 and much more than ProV1x. Both balls played solid from tee to green. The ball numbered 3 felt a little firmer to me than the ball numbered 2, therefore 2 was my favorite from first impressions. Hit both off the tee a few times for comparison and ball 2 was 4 or 5 yards longer for me both times. Both were solid on shots hit into greens as I got my normal hit, one small hop and stop from both.

Back to Pro V1x, the perfect ball for Srixon ZX irons.

Played the Chrome Soft today as I knew I would need more spin onto the greens on this course. Was a good choice, amazing stopping power on approach shots and low spinning chip shots.

I have gone all in on the yellow pro v1. I get more driver distance and iron/wedge spin with the v1x, but overall the feel (esp putter) and balanced performance of the v1 is my thing. I never thought I would play a Titleist ball. I plan to buy another dozen today with shop credit.

Interesting, at the moment, the yellow Pro V1 is the only ball I would play in a tournament other than a white Pro V1x. Don't ask me why because I can't explain it either.

Bought 4 dozen Callaway Hex Tour from Costco for $60. Played one today and really liked it. Felt good, plenty of distance. Played all 18 holes with the same ball. Very happy with this purchase!

50D3CC75-F2E4-4887-80BB-793BEBB96364.jpeg

I have been playing the Saintnine U Pro. For the price it’s a very good ball. I like the performance. My only negative is that I find is that there are some minor durability concerns.
I’ve been playing the UPro regularly this year. Frequent BOGO sales make this ball $25 for 2 dozen plus shipping. Two piece, but urethane cover in yellow is hard to beat.

Put 2019 Yellow ProV1x back in to play. Was spinning balls on wedge shots. It just plays better for me than ProV1.

In my eternal golf ball curiosity, I put a sleeve of Chrome Soft X LS in my bag before yesterday's round.

Played it side by side with my usual ball for every shot on the first two holes of my round. It felt/sounded just like any other Chrome Soft X and had a similar trajectory. But I swear it just came up 5-10 yards short on every full shot. Slightly shorter than usual off the driver, slightly shorter off an iron, slightly shorter on a full GW shot. Chipped and putted like my usual ball.

So I wouldn't say I hated it. But in that very, very brief tryout I couldn't see any benefit to it that would make me want to give up half a club or more of distance. I don't find many balls that are "shorter than usual" but I think this might be one of them. Probably meant for someone who swings a lot faster than my 88-89mph driver clubhead speed.

Back