What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Played a slightly beat-up CSX until I lost it OB on the 6th hole last night, then pulled a yellow/black Truvis Chrome Soft for the next couple holes, but went back to another CSX for the last couple of holes to finish

The CSX just does what I want around the green and on approaches, spins well on partial shots, stops pretty much where it lands on full shots, so I am reluctant to try anything else
The Bridgestone Tour B XS is a possible alternative to try, but the RXS I have used just doesn't quite seem to have the same results so I am in two minds about trying the XS in case I don't see something similar to the CSX

I forgot that I took all my pro V1s out of the bag and didn’t have a ball when I got to the course today.

I picked these up in they pro shop.
image.jpg

I think I might like them. Really enjoyed the feel off the putter and around the greens with it. It was a two sleeve pack so I’ll get some time with them to determine if I want to switch for good.

I played the CSX, and as usual pretty good performance and pretty poor durability. Nothing really exciting there for me. I am getting a little more used to off putter though, so it's nice for that not to bother me as much.

Wife in the other hand.. I'm going through my golf closet lately and find a box of yellow Tour Response. No idea why or when those are from, because I hate that ball. And I don't really play yellow. Was going to give to a buddy until my wife said she only had a few divides left right before we went. Gave her a couple sleeves and we both really liked them for her out there. Satisfying feel for her, and performance looked and sounded good from my perspective. She checked a couple chips nicely, liked it off her spider, had good lift on her irons, and was getting good distance on her well struck drives. She had a couple 240 ones that were just launched. Similar price point to the Divides and a little easier for me to track and find than red and yellow, so I think I might grab her another box.

Similar price point to the Divides and a little easier for me to track and find than red and yellow, so I think I might grab her another box.

That’s interesting. After hitting the white Q-Stars I was thinking about trying out the divides for the hell that is finding a ball in the fall leaves.
I don’t have a lot of experience with colored balls. What makes the divides hard to find?

Played a new course yesterday and I knew I would lose some balls so I played Saintnine U-Pro’s. Played just fine and I was able to get some spin off my new Callaway Jaws FTW. Perfect ball when conditions are such that know you’ll lose a few.

I had a sleeve of TP5Xs in my trunk I got in a tournament and put them in play today. I liked the ball overall. It is hard to make too many judgements due the fact that the wind was a steady 25 with gusts but the ball seemed to hold well in the wind, felt good around the greens and off the putter. I will play it again this week and hopefully it isn’t that windy.

That’s interesting. After hitting the white Q-Stars I was thinking about trying out the divides for the hell that is finding a ball in the fall leaves.
I don’t have a lot of experience with colored balls. What makes the divides hard to find?
That might just be a me thing. Something about certain light conditions makes them really hard for me to track in the air. I do think the red blends in with fall leaves a little more than plain yellow though, and you never know which side is going to be up, so it's hard to kind of scan without knowing what color you're supposed to be looking for amongst the leaves. For me anyway. Her pink supersofts and the yellow are both a little easier for me. If she'd learn to watch her ball better I wouldn't really have to worry about it like this though, and I pray for the day when I don't even care what ball she plays. :LOL:

That might just be a me thing. Something about certain light conditions makes them really hard for me to track in the air. I do think the red blends in with fall leaves a little more than plain yellow though, and you never know which side is going to be up, so it's hard to kind of scan without knowing what color you're supposed to be looking for amongst the leaves. For me anyway. Her pink supersofts and the yellow are both a little easier for me. If she'd learn to watch her ball better I wouldn't really have to worry about it like this though, and I pray for the day when I don't even care what ball she plays. :LOL:

Good point on the red. I did see some blue/neon green I’ll probably pick up a sleeve of those at some point before fall golf and give it a shot. Nothing worse than losing a piped drive in the fairway leaves.

Tour B RX today, yellow. Same ball for the whole round, great durability and enough spin on approach shots.

Vice Pro Soft

I am getting a little more used to off putter though, so it's nice for that not to bother me as much.

I put CSX back in play this weekend, and I agree with this statement.

I retract my previous hate, as the feel has really become a non issue for me, other than off the putter a little.

Played in steady winds, and this ball is as good as the TP5x. And the greenside/approach spin for me is outstanding. I have not experienced the durability issues, I hit one cart path, and the scuffing was minimal. Then again, I'm no @OldandStiff and don't have the horsepower to chew em up with my wedges :ROFLMAO:

I put CSX back in play this weekend, and I agree with this statement.

I retract my previous hate, as the feel has really become a non issue for me, other than off the putter a little.

I have not experienced the durability issues, I hit one cart path, and the scuffing was minimal. Then again, I'm no @OldandStiff and don't have the horsepower to chew em up with my wedges :ROFLMAO:

Maybe they just don't like how low to ground my horse power rolls...

Played a Bridgestone e12 soft this weekend, liked the gold color and it felt good off my wedges. My understanding is they don't make them any more, but I'll pick up some yellow Contacts once I get the chance. I'm a Supersoft ho, but maybe I'll mix and match sleeves.

My faith to soft balls in general was reaffirmed this weekend as well. I dug a Pro V1x out of the woods while looking for my lost shot, and decided to play it for a few holes because hey. It's a Pro V1x. With a driver SS around 80, I couldn't lift that ball into the air at all with my short irons. Felt like I was hitting a rock.

I have been playing four different balls over the past three years. I am closing the gap to 70 y/o and average 200 - 235 off the tee, so I prefer a low compression ball to gain as much distance as possible. The four balls I play, depending on conditions are: Top Flite Hammer Control, TM Distance +, Srixon Q star Tour and Pro V1 that my son usually gives me for birthdays and Christmas.

When I first started back playing three years ago I started with TF D2 + feel because I was cheap and lost several balls per round and continued to play them as I improved because they played fine for my game at the time. One day I found a TM Distance + yellow near a pond edge an and put it in play on the next hole.
To my surprise I was getting an extra club length in distance with my irons and maybe 15 or more yards off the tee.
When fall came I found I was loosing balls in the leaves too often and decided to go back to the TF D2's to lessen the pain financially and found them to be discontinued and replaced by (as best I could tell) by the "Hammer Control". The good news DSG had them on sale at 2 15 packs for $24.

I played that ball through the fall and winter (Atlanta area). At the same time a friend gave me three sleeves of Q Star Tour yellow that he said he couldn't hit because the yellow distracted him. I found them to be a bit shorter off the tee than the TF -HC but a bit better around the green, so of course I play those on shorter courses that don't punish too much for lost driver distance.

The Pro V1's are played at those courses that don't have too many opportunities to loose balls. While not as long as the Hammer control or Distance + off the tee, I find the approach shots and greenside feel is far superior to all the others. Yes I am a cheap SOB.

Two weeks ago we visited the in-laws in NC and Virginia and played several times And I'm not sure if it was the heat, humidity or what but I tried a different ball on each of the first three holes and found the TM Distance + was the magic ball that week.

Yesterday I signed up for one of the latest tee times at the club I'm a member of. I started at 6:03 pm and finished at 8:00.
When I teed off alone behind a foursome the starter told me there would be no one behind me and I might want to play more than one ball to avoid waiting at every tee box, so I decided to do a "ball comparison" experiment with the TF HC, Q star tour and TM Distance +. I hit three tee shots on every hole with each of the three balls and proceeded to play each through "hole out" keeping a separate score for each ball. Very scientific study considering I played the "away ball" each time. The result was interesting.

Off the tee it was pretty even on distance with the TF and TM D+ alternating for long drive on most holes with the Q star a close third albeit 10 or so yards behind #2. Not sure if "Bubba" came into play at all considering on some holes I hit the last ball driven as the first second shot and several other scenarios.
When I got to the last hole I realized I didn't have time to hit three so I just played the Distance + on #9 dog leg left that drops about 25 feet on the second shot and rises on the third to the green.
I hit a really good tee shot to the inside of the dog leg, a 7 iron down the hill and another 7 iron to the green. I never saw the ball after I hit it so I went to the green with putter in hand hoping for the best and got it...I had a tap in birdie from about 8 inches.
As a high HC'er I'm always pleased with anything under 48-50 on this particular 9 holes. Needless to say I was pleased when I totaled the score card.
I shot a 42 with the Distance +, a 45 with the Hammer Control and a 48 with the Q Star. In all fairness to the Q Star I had two topped shots with it that cost extra strokes that was my fault, not the balls. ( I used par on #9 for the HC and the Q Star since I didn't play them on the final hole).
I lost one of each brand, I was better on approach and around the green with the D+ and Q Star and overall distance was a little longer with the TF HC. Putting was pretty equal for all three.
I generally play better when solo and yesterday was no exception. I apply very little outside pressure watching myself play. I suppose I will be playing the TM Distance + for a while, at least until the leaves start falling too heavy.
All in all it was a fun 27 holes in 2 hours.

Been gaming Supersofts for a year or so. After reading some posts on THP, I picked up a dozen Srixon soft feel and Q star tour. Played a soft feel front 9, and a Q star on the back, WOW, what a difference compared to the Supersoft. Feel was similar, but they really fight the side spin and allowed me to swing a little harder without worrying about a nasty hook. Drives that would have gone hard left with the supersofts only veered a little off course. And I was able to pick up 10-20 yards off the tee- mostly because I was able to swing more aggressively without fear.

I didn’t really get enough swings in to notice a major difference between soft feel and q star tour- they are both excellent, IMO.

The soft feels were 22/dz, and the Z tours 32/dz- that’s about the limit of my comfort zone on ball pricing. I’ve played some chrome softs and V1s here and there- and I don’t notice enough of a difference for my game (low 90’s)

Finally starting to run out of my Truvis stock, so tried the CSX LS yesterday for the first time. Other than it feeling harder I'm not sure it's much different than the CS for me. I'm going to give it some more time to see whats what. Distance was similar & I didn't see any drop with spin around the greens.

I found a couple of sleeves of Bridgestone E5s on the shelf the other day, it's been a few years since they discontinued those, but I thought "what the heck, let's see how these old 2-piece urethane balls work." I was just out for a casual round with a friend that doesn't play much, and at a course where everyone is likely to lose some balls, so why not.

Not bad feel for a 2-piece ball, but probably about a club shorter than most of the current balls I use now. I don't really have any history with the E5, I was an E6 guy back then, probably bought a dozen to try and didn't like them enough to use them all, so they've been on the shelf ever since. Anyway, I didn't mind playing them, the urethane cover did provide a little bit of feel and spin around the greens, not a lot, but a bit more than most 2-piece balls. I did lose a few, the rest will go into the shag-bag though.

Played CS Triple Track today. Really enjoy this ball. I still want to try CSX but I could play the CS and be happy. Putting was amazing and the soft feel is great. Distance with irons and driver are inline with other brands. Played same ball all day and it is still looking good.

Started with Chrome Soft today. Really love the feel and performance. Unfortunately I lost both of the 2 I had on one tee box. Switch to Snell MTB-X. Nice ball and performance was good. Just prefer the softer feel around the greens.

Tour B RX today, yellow. Same ball for the whole round, great durability and enough spin on approach shots.
That’s what I put in play yesterday for the first time. Stopped a six iron within a foot on frankly one that was a bit low coming in. And I liked how it was firmer than the RSX that I had tried previously but I wouldn’t call it a firm ball, if that makes sense. Plus that little extra click helped Arccos pick it up off the putter. It may the ball I take to the Morgan Cup.

I played CSX some. I really like it for testing, but I think I'm out on actual rounds. Profile just doesn't quite fit what I want to do as well as a couple others and the sound of it still bugs me. Going to play through what I have in casual rounds.

I played CSX some. I really like it for testing, but I think I'm out on actual rounds. Profile just doesn't quite fit what I want to do as well as a couple others and the sound of it still bugs me. Going to play through what I have in casual rounds.
Tried two sleeves, got two sleeves left over that will gather dust. Just doesn't do it for me. Agree on the sound. Weird.

Maxfli Tour CG, in matte green (the 2019 version). A pretty good all-around ball, good spin, relatively straight, and easy to see in the rough. To top it off, it's 2 dz for $55 at DSG.

My wife gifted me a box of Srixon Z Star and initial feedback wasn't great. It seemed to spin too much off the tee at least the first time out. Will give it one more go tomorrow.

I put a green Vice soft pro that my wife found during our round into play Thursday evening.

I liked it. Nice feel and it performed well.

136 yard 7i (yes, I'm a short knocker).
ETA: Two things. The green slopes front to back so some forward roll is normal.
The picture was taken shortly after sunset. The green is actually very lush.

Attachments

• PXL_20210917_022710197.jpg
    PXL_20210917_022710197.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Played the Tour B RX today for most of the round. Really good off the driver as had a really consistent draw today and the ball gave me some good distance for me. Plenty of spin on approach shots and feels good off the Chicago.

Back