What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Maxfli tour x.. seems like a good one for the price like the alignment markings, clicky off the face on putter

still playing the mizuno ball that cannot be named. performance was really good today.

one shot that blew my mind was on a 200y par 3. i had good distance but a little left of target. ball nestled in some bermuda, downwind, water behind the green. i decided to use my 59* mizuno t22, blade a little open, kind of a chop motion. it came out so well, with tons of spin downwind, hit the green level with the hole and checked less than 2’ from the pin. just nuts!

i did have a couple shots get knocked down by the wind, which is something to keep an eye on. i don’t play in a ton of wind, but my previous ball was a really good wind ball.

durability has been much improved.

I played Z Star and ProV1. It's probably unfair to compare their performance because it was still really wet with the Z Star. There's something about it I've never really loved though. It just doesn't hurt 5 the flight window I'm used to. V1 was as expected and that is a soft and satisfying experience of a Stealth Plus face. Good zip on a couple approaches.

Played 18 with a ProV1x. It does what ProV1x does. Will play again.

at least until the Morgan Cup is over. Abd my golf budget gets reduced.

Played a ProV1 the last 2 rounds. (I’ve been playing Snell MTB most of the summer)

As much as I don’t want to admit it, the ProV1 really did perform better. I just find it hard to justify the $$.

I’ll be at war with the entire off season over this.
Try the new Seed SD X1 ball. Reviews say it's almost identical to the ProV1 at a much cheaper price.

There are plenty of balls that claim that though, like the Vice too.

It was a lot cooler and windy yesterday, so I decided to put some Bridgestone Tour B RXS in the bag, and although I can't gauge how they played around the green (greens have had a lot of work done this last week), I was quite happy with how it performed in general

It did come up short in the wind on a few approaches, but I suspect nearly every ball would have been the same
I can definitely feel the difference off the putter compared to the CSX LS, with the Bridgestone being much softer

Being yellow, it will quite possibly be the ball of choice for the colder winter months we are going to be headed for

Maxfli tour x.. seems like a good one for the price like the alignment markings, clicky off the face on putter
I may have to try the Maxfli Tour X as the non-X is too soft off the putter for my liking.

I may have to try the Maxfli Tour X as the non-X is too soft off the putter for my liking.
I'd like to try these as well however, my last couple of rounds with the ProV1 (as mentioned above) have shown me that it's hard to beat. (Though there is a pretty significant cost differential involved)

(Though there is a pretty significant cost differential involved)
I don't know why I just don't play the Pro Vs despite the cost. I don't often lose balls, and I can always put a much less expensive ball in play on holes where the loss of a ball is very possible. Usually, there aren't that many holes like that anyway to justify NOT playing the costlier ball.

I don't know why I just don't play the Pro Vs despite the cost. I don't often lose balls, and I can always put a much less expensive ball in play on holes where the loss of a ball is very possible. Usually, there aren't that many holes like that anyway to justify NOT playing the costlier ball.
I'm starting to think the same myself. The only time i (usually) lose a ball is off the tee and that's becoming less of an issue, thankfully. The only time i'd switch to another ball would be if i completely lost my mojo off the tee on any given day and then i'd go with something else for the round. Really considering going to the ProV1 next year... but, we'll see.

I have been switching between the Tour Speed and the Tour Soft. I prefer the Speed off the tee and the Soft in and around the greens. I believe the Speed had a much worse quality rating from the MGS review, but I did notice a difference off the tee with it over the Soft. Little more distance and hitting more fairways. I've been playing the Soft more as of late since I was losing more shots on and around the greens.

I did try out those Piper balls earlier this year. They became practice balls I hit into the woods behind my house.

On a whim bought a sleeve of the E6 yellow. I was not blown away but came away, thinking that was a decent ball. Long, high, and putted well. Couldn't really base anything on the hop and stop, greens were hard but did better than expected.

Shot seven over with the Maxfli Tour today. Really nice ball, distance, control with pitches and chips was good. I like the few off the putter. 2 dozen for $60.

It's cold this morning, 46 at the moment. I am going to play a softer ball, I have some Tour Responses and Chrome Softs in the bag.

Started with a Chrome Soft yesterday for 11.5 holes but couldn’t find it after seeing it bounce a couple of time in a blind landing area. Was a mint ball I found this week and up until it went MIA it was performing really well.

Distance was excellent and around the green was spot on. Left 2 chips right on lip and miraculous par from off the green on steep grade par 3 where I had to land about 6’ in the rough and let momentum carry to the hole where it ended up within 3”.

I really like the Chromesoft lineup, great distance, durability has improved and putting and around the greens great. Overall one of my favourite balls.

It's cold this morning, 46 at the moment. I am going to play a softer ball, I have some Tour Responses and Chrome Softs in the bag.
I still play the TM Project a and still love it. Getting harder to find in Yellow though. My backup is Srixons Z xv

Srixon Soft Feel today. Course had a lot of leaves so don't mind loosing them, but a good ball for my slower swing speed. Easy to adjust to rollout on chips.

Srixon Soft Feel today. Course had a lot of leaves so don't mind loosing them, but a good ball for my slower swing speed. Easy to adjust to rollout on chips.
I have always been "Frugal" in everything I do so it has always pained me in Fall when I lose a $4 ball when I know it's in Fairway somewhere. Cold Temps and wind will cause unique:) ball flight so I use Used balls from Ebay. $1.50 to $2 I can live with. The $$$ I save I can spend at the gun Range or gas for the Motorcycle.

We were told we were allowed to share our experiences just not the packaging with the new mizuno ball (Tour/TourX). Now that the cat is outta the bag on it existing I figured I’d share some thoughts.

My most comfortable gamer ball is a PV1 so all comparisons will be towards that. Particularly useful in this situation because that's what the Mizuno engineers modeled these balls after. I've played their Tour ball most because the TourX launches in a bit too high of a window for my liking. It's not problematically high just higher than I like to play.

The Tour ball feels a lot like PV1 off the face. Differences are minimal off the tee. I might be seeing a few more yards with PV1 but a lot of that could be because the PV1 has been the second ball I've hit off the tee when comparing and maybe I'm putting a little better swing on it? Dispersion between the two is very tight. I can't say any of those things about Mizuno's old tour ball (I have old posts in here about them). The old one was way too spinny and I would either lose distance or the big miss right would become even bigger. Massive improvements have been made to these balls off the tee.

Using Irons it really shines as well. With the old ball I would get a very weird ball flight of starting off on a penetrating trajectory that I tend to enjoy but then midway through ball flight it would shoot up in the air and die. I'm not seeing any of that with the new Tour ball. It feels and sounds very satisfying off the face of irons as well. I haven't had the opportunity to get the ball on a sim for spin numbers but a friend I trust has and spin numbers are maintaining in a pretty decent window (a fraction lower than PV1 but much more on that later).

Around the green is where I haven't quite gotten used to them yet. Maybe it's because I've gotten very used to the way PV1 and TP5x perform around the green but it's been hard for me to get a feel for what this ball is going to do on short little chips and pitches under 100. It isn't bad or anything just different and I need to spend more time with it to figure out how it's going to check and roll out.

I think the big question for a lot of people is 'How is the durability'. The old balls had very big problems with the cover holding up. I'm not a tremendous speed swinger (83.9 with 8 iron) and I think it's important to keep in mind that I'm using irons and wedges with very fresh grooves. I didn't have any issues with durability at TPC when playing in the Victory Cup but I also only played the same ball for maybe 6 shots before Sawgrass ate it :ROFLMAO:. Once I got back to my home course where I know my way around a little better I was able to make one last. Out of the 5 balls I've played so far two of them have cover damage. One happened out of a green side bunker using a very fresh 58º wedge. It was a particularly explosive shot to get the ball up and out. I wasn't surprised by there being significant scuffage. The other I'm a little more perplexed by it was after a 7i shot that I took a little off of so I could get in good position for a GIR into a par 5. Now I don't remember hitting a tree or the path previously but it's possible there are a couple of blind spots on my course. Either way these balls lasted several more holes than I could expect from previous models.

Overall I think it's a really solid ball from Mizuno it puts up comparable numbers to the PV1 and performs similarly (for me). The engineers at Mizzy have done an incredible job remaking this ball. It's completely unrecognizable from their old Tour/X. I think they deserve a serious look from everyone. I know at least one of my Victory Cup brethren is smitten with the new ball. Give them a shot when they release.

Played 2021 TP5 PIX Azalea version on Saturday and Left Dash ProV1X on Sunday.
Like LD over TP5 however both had more driver spin than I get from 2022 CS.

Callaway ERC Soft today in cold wet weather.

I'm a fan. The yellow was way easier to see in the cloudy weather, and the triple track is, well, triple track.

Edit: the ball is as long as the SuperSoft off the tee for me, but I had better control on 45-65 yard shots with my 54*. It was very comparable to the Chrome Soft around the greens for me, but I'm not a huge spin guy.
Looking to try the ERC, as I have never played one for a full round. Found one some time ago, lost it after 2 holes. Would have liked to play it longer. I need the ball to get down the fairway, hopefully straight, and to play approach shots, and chips and pitches. Urethane spins off my driver to much, but would like a 3 piece for around the greens. Currently playing a 2 piece that is pretty good around the green, but more spin around the green is always helpful...

We were told we were allowed to share our experiences just not the packaging with the new mizuno ball (Tour/TourX). Now that the cat is outta the bag on it existing I figured I’d share some thoughts.

My most comfortable gamer ball is a PV1 so all comparisons will be towards that. Particularly useful in this situation because that's what the Mizuno engineers modeled these balls after. I've played their Tour ball most because the TourX launches in a bit too high of a window for my liking. It's not problematically high just higher than I like to play.

The Tour ball feels a lot like PV1 off the face. Differences are minimal off the tee. I might be seeing a few more yards with PV1 but a lot of that could be because the PV1 has been the second ball I've hit off the tee when comparing and maybe I'm putting a little better swing on it? Dispersion between the two is very tight. I can't say any of those things about Mizuno's old tour ball (I have old posts in here about them). The old one was way too spinny and I would either lose distance or the big miss right would become even bigger. Massive improvements have been made to these balls off the tee.

Using Irons it really shines as well. With the old ball I would get a very weird ball flight of starting off on a penetrating trajectory that I tend to enjoy but then midway through ball flight it would shoot up in the air and die. I'm not seeing any of that with the new Tour ball. It feels and sounds very satisfying off the face of irons as well. I haven't had the opportunity to get the ball on a sim for spin numbers but a friend I trust has and spin numbers are maintaining in a pretty decent window (a fraction lower than PV1 but much more on that later).

Around the green is where I haven't quite gotten used to them yet. Maybe it's because I've gotten very used to the way PV1 and TP5x perform around the green but it's been hard for me to get a feel for what this ball is going to do on short little chips and pitches under 100. It isn't bad or anything just different and I need to spend more time with it to figure out how it's going to check and roll out.

I think the big question for a lot of people is 'How is the durability'. The old balls had very big problems with the cover holding up. I'm not a tremendous speed swinger (83.9 with 8 iron) and I think it's important to keep in mind that I'm using irons and wedges with very fresh grooves. I didn't have any issues with durability at TPC when playing in the Victory Cup but I also only played the same ball for maybe 6 shots before Sawgrass ate it :ROFLMAO:. Once I got back to my home course where I know my way around a little better I was able to make one last. Out of the 5 balls I've played so far two of them have cover damage. One happened out of a green side bunker using a very fresh 58º wedge. It was a particularly explosive shot to get the ball up and out. I wasn't surprised by there being significant scuffage. The other I'm a little more perplexed by it was after a 7i shot that I took a little off of so I could get in good position for a GIR into a par 5. Now I don't remember hitting a tree or the path previously but it's possible there are a couple of blind spots on my course. Either way these balls lasted several more holes than I could expect from previous models.

Overall I think it's a really solid ball from Mizuno it puts up comparable numbers to the PV1 and performs similarly (for me). The engineers at Mizzy have done an incredible job remaking this ball. It's completely unrecognizable from their old Tour/X. I think they deserve a serious look from everyone. I know at least one of my Victory Cup brethren is smitten with the new ball. Give them a shot when they release.
I've played a sleeve of each and will say the durability is spot on vs the 1st rendition. Both play well for me and I am at a point I THINK the RBT is the ball between the two. I have no numbers to prove it but just by distance, flight, and green spin. I have one RBTX that I have played a lot and you can tell but cover doesn't show much of anything, even though it smacked a couple trees lol. They are very predictable.

The Bridgestone e6 is my ball of choice. It gives me as much distance as anything else I’ve played. It is adequately durable. And, even though it is not a high-spin ball I can allow for a little roll-out. I’ve played it thru a few changes that they have made in it over the years... and like this current edition quite well.

So years ago, I stashed away 2 dozen of the original Kirkland 4 piece balls. Pretty much forgot about them. Saw them this morning and figured why not so I grabbed a sleeve and put them in play.
Man, I had forgot how much these puppies spin with irons. Shots with 8 through wedges spun back at least a foot. In this pic., I hit a 5 iron from 185 from the right side of the picture. Greens were somewhat soft but still…that’s pretty good stopping power. Note: I am NOT a high spin player what so ever.
1664919659547.jpeg

Back