What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I was getting a little extra off tee shots, maybe 10 yards. I am generally consistent with my driver distance, and it was noticeable. I didn't see an increase with the irons.
Right on. I'm pretty consistent too, and I averaged 11 more that day with it.

I played the Cut Blue for 15-16 holes yesterday. I honestly have no complaints on this ball except for it’s on the firmer side on the feel spectrum. With that’s said, I switched to a Srixon Zstar for the last few holes and noticed the difference in feel immediately. Current BOGO promo will have me picking up a few Zstar’s

2020 Black/Yellow Truvis front nine, this ball handles the winds so much better than the previous versions ball. Great on approach shots and around the green. Feels good off the putter.
Srixon Q-Star Tour on the back nine. Ball doesn't handle the wind as well, but had plenty of stopping power on approach shots. Definitely a different feel off to the putter, not as soft as the CS.

Played the Callaway Magna on the front 9, shot 52. Switched to Kirkland Signature on the back 9, 44. Was it the ball? The player? Chips weredefinitely holding thegreens better withthe K-Sig. The Magna was always sitting just on the fringe after rolling through the green. More fairways hit with driver on the back 9 and better distance.

Played the TP5 this week. Could be a new gamer. Felt great off the tee, controllable with some wind as well. A little longer with the mid irons than I’m used to coming from prov1 and Tour B X - and the greens I did hit they stuck well. Also had one out the bunker that I holed, it checked up Then released perfectly like I needed it to. Can’t say anything bad about it honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the TP5 this week. Could be a new gamer. Felt great off the tee, controllable with some wind as well. A little longer with the mid irons than I’m used to coming from prov1 and Tour B X - and the greens I did hit they stuck well. Also had one out the bunker that I holed, it checked up Then released perfectly like I needed it to. Can’t say anything bad about it honestly.

This is exactly what I've noticed lately. I swear it's just a tiny bit longer than a ProV1. Notice it in the the irons. Still stops and feels good, but slightly different, and handles the wind pretty well. It's nice to hear you say it, because I hadn't bothered to play any in a long while, always play a prov1, and prefer a B X if I have to go off brand. I think it might be my new gamer for the new future as well. Has me intrigued.

Q Star

So far I really like it. Doesn’t seem to spin a ton off the driver but enough off irons to hold greens. Seems pretty durable also. I’m gonna stock up while they’re having the BOGO sale

Yellow TourB RX last two rounds. Really like it. Gives me a little draw on the longer clubs and great short game stopping power. Had a couple of wedge shots drop and stop. Pretty impressive.

XS wow what a spinner... Worked great...not the ball I was fit but had a sleeve here... Pretty good all aroundIMG_20200614_143026.jpg

Last edited:
Black/Yellow Truvis today. Great all around ball for me.

This is exactly what I've noticed lately. I swear it's just a tiny bit longer than a ProV1. Notice it in the the irons. Still stops and feels good, but slightly different, and handles the wind pretty well. It's nice to hear you say it, because I hadn't bothered to play any in a long while, always play a prov1, and prefer a B X if I have to go off brand. I think it might be my new gamer for the new future as well. Has me intrigued.

I watched a pretty extensive test on YouTube where a guy did robotic testing in every ball at various swing speeds with driver, 7i and wedges. He broke it all down very detailed. He put the TP5 as one of the best 3 all around ball. It was tops in driver distance (by like 1.3 yds so not much), but the 7i distance was a bigger gap, I want to say it was 6 yards or so carry distance longer. The biggest difference in them was the spin rates, especially with a Wedge. The prov1 was the highest spinning ball with each of the 3 swing speeds and thus actually shorter than the TP5. While I wasn’t looking necessarily for distance, I was looking for a little less spin overall. I have a High ball flight and tend to try to carry to pins and it drops in soft usually one or two hops and stops with a tiny bit of roll. The prov1 always left me short of pins and sometimes spun back when I wasn’t planning for that. So less wedge spin is better for me. The benefit of being longer with driver and straighter because of less spin is a huge plus and I’ll take an extra 5 yds with the mid irons any day!

Played ERC Soft yesterday. Found it very straight off the tees, but lacking feel through the bag. Enjoyed triple track on the green, do not enjoy chipping/pitching with it.

Snuck out for a few holes this evening and played the Truvis Chromesoft. I liked it a lot. No complaints, did everything I needed it to do. Might be my backup to my recent switch to Vice Pro Plus.

TP5:taylormade:

LONG off the Tee.

With enough spin to hold the greens on a long Iron Shot from 189 Yards :drinks:

I've played 2 rounds with Callaway Hex Tour Soft balls, the one's that were 48 balls for $40 at Costco thru today (sorry if you missed this deal!!!).....and I like this ball.

I had been playing QStar Tours for the past couple months, but happy that I snagged 96 of these balls for $80.

With driver and 3w, they seem to be fairly low spinning and hold their line very well. I was able to play a controlled fade all day, and there was no loss of distance. With irons, especially longer irons, I picked up about 5-7 yards. I don't think these balls spin as much as other premium balls (ProV1, Zstar XV, Chrome Soft), but I wasn't expecting them too, and I hit my irons high so its not been an issue for me. Off the putter, it has a muted sound but provides good feel. I was able to lag putts from distance very well.

I wish the alignment logo/print was a little more pronounced, as it only has a small font 'HEX TOUR SOFT' to use. Not a deal killer, just minor gripe.

The cover held up well, as I've played 30ish holes with 1 ball and there was no scaling or cuts. I did have a tree swap some "paint" on the cover, but it was a small yellow smear and the cover remained intact.

Definitely like this ball and glad I was able to fill up my closet for so cheap!

I think the Costco deal ended today...June 14, but might be worth checking online or your local store.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stevie-a, I use this alignment marker to extend the line on either side of the logo print. Works well with a black sharpie.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was just making an observation/comparison to other balls. The alignment works for me, but others may need something more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My swing speed is slightly down at the moment (rusty and not trusting my swing is where I want it yet) so I picked up a couple dozen of the previous generation Chromesoft Truvis in white/blue and put them in to play yesterday for our pairs matchplay

I hit a lot of terrible tee shots yesterday, but most of the time was only around 10-15yds behind one of our opponents who hits a similar distance to me
Approaches to greens were sticking pretty much where they landed, albeit shorter than I would normally expect but that is me and not the ball, including a 5i to a par 3 that was only 1ft beyond where it pitched
Around the green it performed as expected on all but one shot where the ball skidded on the first bounce and it finished further from the pin than expected - one of the lads who was near the pin said you could see it spinning but it must have hit a slightly wetter patch of green and just skidded

I will continue to play these until my swing speed picks up again, but they still do everything I want and it will be fun to compare them to the new 2020 version when I get my hands on them

Played a Chrome Soft during my 18 yesterday. I feel like the ball did not perform as well off the tee as my usual ProV1, but I could really feel a difference around the green and putting. I could get the ball to spin really well and felt really really soft off the putter face. I plan on playing another Chrome Soft during my round tomorrow. We shall see how it goes.

picked up some Z-stars on the BOGO sale...forgot how much i liked this ball (it had been a few years) played it 16 holes in very windy conditions before i got to greedy and pulled it OB on a par 5 last night. may have to pick up another 2 dozen before the sale ends.

I mostly played TP5 again today. I'm virtually certain it is longer than a prov1 for me at this point. I've compared them directly a bunch now. I like the feel, especially off driver, and the iron and driver trajectories, but I'm not 100% sure about the spin comparatively on short-ish approach and around the green. I seem to have to try to spin it just a touch more. It's weird, and anecdotal, but in small sample it seems to bounce a little more on impact. I don't know. I really like it. The greenside thing will probably come down to is it worth the trade.

I mostly played TP5 again today. I'm virtually certain it is longer than a prov1 for me at this point. I've compared them directly a bunch now. I like the feel, especially off driver, and the iron and driver trajectories, but I'm not 100% sure about the spin comparatively on short-ish approach and around the green. I seem to have to try to spin it just a touch more. It's weird, and anecdotal, but in small sample it seems to bounce a little more on impact. I don't know. I really like it. The greenside thing will probably come down to is it worth the trade.
For me, the TP5 is probably the spinniest ball (being in the same level as Snell MTB-X, Prov1X and Tour BXS). I love how much spin I can get with irons and wedges with it. I love the TP5x as well, but it does lose a TON of iron/wedge spin. Driver seems about equal.

The TP5 and TP5X are the only balls that I would consider outside of Prov1 or Prov1X. They are the only other balls that do it all IMO.

For me, the TP5 is probably the spinniest ball (being in the same level as Snell MTB-X, Prov1X and Tour BXS). I love how much spin I can get with irons and wedges with it. I love the TP5x as well, but it does lose a TON of iron/wedge spin. Driver seems about equal.
I hit a lot of low groove, low flight, spinny shots on short approach to stay off the wind, and I think it has pretty good bite on those. About the same as the V1 for me, but for lofted shots it seems just behind. And definitely behind the V1x for me. It might be a conditions and swing type observation though. We're all a little different in how we generate spin. The V1x is almost too much for some of the shots I play. It has just enough to cross a wind effect line that has exponential effects. That's why I go V1.

The TP5 is a dang good ball. I've been near shocked by how much I like it. I feel like it's going to fit in well for the courses I have coming up.

Last edited:
Just placed an order for TP5 Yellow from Amazon. I’ve played previous year TP5x and I liked the way ball performed.
Transition to Chrome Soft cause I wanted tad softer ball. I picked the TP5 just to meet in middle as feel. Also yellow so. I can see it better. I notice that I can see yellow color better during the round.
I’m sure TP5 is solid ball.

Back