What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

As a slower swing speed guy I have always enjoyed using low compression “soft” balls. I feel I get more distance and less spin off the driver.

Today played both a Srixon soft feel against my gamer Callaway Supersoft.

I think I may get more distance from the Srixon, but the Cally off the irons and putter just feel right to me. Don’t know if I’ll change balls ever in the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might also try Wilson Duo Professional or previous season Duo Urethane or Duo Soft Spin. Lower compression with good feel, limited driver spin with decent length and very straight but good spin and stopping power on the greens. Also reasonably priced.

I've played my last 3 rounds with the Supersoft Magna. It is quite possibly the straightest ball I've ever hit. The Bridgestone e6 previously held that title for me, but the Magna is crazy straight and feels a lot better than the e6. Guys who like to work the ball probably wouldn't dig it, but if you like a ball that goes where you aim it, it's worth a try.

I tried out the bold yellow matte Callaway Superhots my last time out. Not sure what to think. The ball flight, distance, and spin were all good for my slower swing speeds and I loved how the ball played, but I'm not sure I can get used to the sound of the ball coming off the face of the clubs or putter.

I've played my last 3 rounds with the Supersoft Magna. It is quite possibly the straightest ball I've ever hit. The Bridgestone e6 previously held that title for me, but the Magna is crazy straight and feels a lot better than the e6. Guys who like to work the ball probably wouldn't dig it, but if you like a ball that goes where you aim it, it's worth a try.

I felt the feel of the ball was weird on full shots. But, really cool when chipping.

Played Yellow AVX yesterday in wet conditions.
Coming from Left Dash ProV1x - I notice I couldn't get the ball to turn over.
Just wants to go straight.
Was great off the wedges - maybe even better that Tour Speed.

Played up at Beach Mountain with a Wilson Staff DUO Pro and a Srixon Q-Star Tour. It wasn't their fault. All operator error. I liked them both and miss them......and their friends.

I recently picked up some yellow Pro V1s just to have them in the arsenal (amongst the VAST) supply of Pro V1s I've acquired over the last month (stupid raffles, see pic.) I brought out a sleeve recently, and noticed some real differences between the yellow ball and its white counterpart. I don't know what the requirements are to be called the same ball in terms of USGA conformity, but these are NOT the same balls. They appear to be worlds apart in terms of performance.

I played 15 holes with the yellow ball, and felt like I was just having a bad round. Everything was coming up short by 5 to 10 yards, and I could not command the ball to shape the way I wanted to at all. I was growing frustrated, but again just chalking it up to a bad round. on 16 I decided to switch to a white ball, and all of the sudden everything was back to normal. We went on and played an additional 6 holes at the end of the round, and sure enough the white ball performed as expected.

Needless to say, the yellow balls are no longer in my stash. I can't imagine that I had a bad batch, as I believe Titleist's QC to be top notch. I cannot believe these balls are so different.

Here's my stash just for fun. I think I've paid less than $300 for all of this, and just two days ago, added 6 dozen more.
IMG_20200821_161115.jpg

Unless you lose two or three balls every time you play a round of golf, I can't imagine using that many golf balls up. I can probably go the entire year on four or five dozen.

Unless you lose two or three balls every time you play a round of golf, I can't imagine using that many golf balls up. I can probably go the entire year on four or five dozen.
I average 3 to 4 dozen a year, and most of those go into a shag bag after a few rounds. I usually lose one ball every 3 rounds or so

I average 3 to 4 dozen a year, and most of those go into a shag bag after a few rounds. I usually lose one ball every 3 rounds or so
Lol, @ 3-4 doz/yr those 35 doz in your stock will last 10 yrs. Whatever, nice stash.:giggle:

I recently picked up some yellow Pro V1s just to have them in the arsenal (amongst the VAST) supply of Pro V1s I've acquired over the last month (stupid raffles, see pic.) I brought out a sleeve recently, and noticed some real differences between the yellow ball and its white counterpart. I don't know what the requirements are to be called the same ball in terms of USGA conformity, but these are NOT the same balls. They appear to be worlds apart in terms of performance.

I played 15 holes with the yellow ball, and felt like I was just having a bad round. Everything was coming up short by 5 to 10 yards, and I could not command the ball to shape the way I wanted to at all. I was growing frustrated, but again just chalking it up to a bad round. on 16 I decided to switch to a white ball, and all of the sudden everything was back to normal. We went on and played an additional 6 holes at the end of the round, and sure enough the white ball performed as expected.

Needless to say, the yellow balls are no longer in my stash. I can't imagine that I had a bad batch, as I believe Titleist's QC to be top notch. I cannot believe these balls are so different.

Here's my stash just for fun. I think I've paid less than $300 for all of this, and just two days ago, added 6 dozen more.
View attachment 8962741

I think the difference in the white and yellow balls, assuming they are authentic, is in your head. Do you think pros would play yellow balls if they thought they were inferior?

Nice stash. Have you tried K Sigs? Though I would play titleists if my $300 went that far.

I think the difference in the white and yellow balls, assuming they are authentic, is in your head. Do you think pros would play yellow balls if they thought they were inferior?

Nice stash. Have you tried K Sigs? Though I would play titleists if my $300 went that far.

I thought this too, but when we played extra holes I was hitting side by side wedge shots from 100 yards and the white ball carried further, and spun more. I did this many times to the same results.

Snell MTB-X - I continue to rock these and love them! Too bad I go through too many still.

I thought this too, but when we played extra holes I was hitting side by side wedge shots from 100 yards and the white ball carried further, and spun more. I did this many times to the same results.

It’s just using a yellow pigment in the cover instead of white one!

To be fair - I think this entire thread is mostly mental! I get that there are premium balls, but is there really that much difference amongst the premium brands of a similar type? I’d argue not as much as we’d suggest.

It’s just using a yellow pigment in the cover instead of white one!

To be fair - I think this entire thread is mostly mental! I get that there are premium balls, but is there really that much difference amongst the premium brands of a similar type? I’d argue not as much as we’d suggest.

Settle down there fella! LOL! A blanket statement like that can do more harm than good!

Previous year AVX. Meh it’s ok. Not anything that would make me wanna buy more of them. Chrome Soft is looking more and more like the winner for me this year. I just hate the price, coupon shopper in the making. ;)

I played the tp5x to start, but switched to tp5 when I saw what we were in for. Great control into tough pins. Liked the softer feel today too. It was upper 40's at the start and the balls had been in the truck overnight in 32 degree temps. Just a great all around ball. My favorite without question. Plenty long, plays and feels softer than it is. Just good.

Last edited:
I played the tp5x to start, but switch to tp5 when I saw what we were in for. Great control into tough pins. Liked the softer feel today too. It was upper 40's at the start and the balls had been in the truck overnight in 32 degree temps. Just a great all around ball. My favorite without question. Plenty long, plays and feels softer than it is. Just good.
Bought on your opinion! Pix American Flag of course. ;)

Hit some chips and pitches with the Bstone RXS balls today. Seem to have some nice spin around the green. Feel is a bit interesting. Hoping to play a round with them tomorrow.

Srixon Z Star. yesterday I know the Z Star is higher compression than the Q Star Tour (72 vs 90 I believe), but I do not feel a noticeable difference, or see any real difference in performance. I need to see how the Z Star XV compares. On paper, the XV is the model I should be gaming.

I had a sleave of ZStar's and played one on the front nine today. Nice lower spin ball. On the back nine I played a Tour B X. I had 3 shots land with a few yards of the hole and spin back about 15 feet each. This is why I often play the B RX. But on solid strikes I like the little extra punch off driver with the B X.

My last couple of rounds were using Srixon Soft Feel (green) balls. I have a dozen Q-Star Tours waiting in the wings for their turn. I haven't hit any of those yet so I'm kind of looking forward to them. I still have to try out the Taylor Made Project S balls that I bought yet this year too.

Used 2020 Chrome Soft for sim round last night

Back