What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Mayflies SoftFli. Good ball in cool temps. Flew long and straight. Not a lot of rollout from irons into greens. Nice feel off putter.

Need some ball advice.

I absolutely love hitting the Tour B X with the driver. I am getting some oustanding distance and it has made some of the shorter par 4's on my home course gettable. However the sound/feel completely throws off my putting so I can't game it.

My current gamer is the TP5 because I love the feel putting and around the greens, but I feel like i'm giving too much up off the tee.

I experimented with the TP5X but I don't like putting with it either. I found it to be longer then the TP5 but not in the same league as the Tour B X.

Any tips on what to try next?

I am thinking Z-Star, Tour B XS or ProV1.
I like the B X, and the TP5. The other one I’ve been impressed with is the 2020 Chrome Soft. Personally I’ve eliminated the B X and it’s down to the Tap5 and the Chrome Soft. I don’t see a loss of distance with any of them, pretty equal. CS seems longer off irons. TP5 always seems to reach when I thought it wouldn’t. I’d suggest trying the CS or CS X.

Stay away from these. They are rocks!
21abcdfda2e22f7d6c88e450e81230e4.jpg

I gave up after hole 2 and went back to my OnCore Avant55.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volvik makes some nice balls. But the ones with the matte finish are not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon Z Star white. SHot my best ever round. Think this is going to be my go to ball from now. Enough spin around the greens without too much long game spin. Really nice feel off the club
It’s a great ball for a very reasonable price if you buy during the sales.

Volvik makes some nice balls. But the ones with the matte finish are not for me.

Agreed. I originally tried the Vivid because I wanted a matte ball, but I never liked those either.

Front 9 I used the ERC Soft TT. High launch off the tee and irons and feels good off the putter. Lacking in green side spin. Where I was disappointed was the durability. The first ball had a nasty scuff from a wedge shot out of a bunker. Second ball I played for 5 holes and it ended up losing TT lines and even the Callaway logo was coming off. Both of these where new balls right out of the sleeve

71A527C8-DA78-4ADE-B216-5CB63CDA6066.jpeg
0EAA903B-A09E-4C5A-B3B8-74DB63D69D96.jpeg
2nd nine I played a Srixon Soft Feel. Good launch off driver and irons and nice feel off the putter. Better around the greens with a bit more stopping power on chips. Durability is much better as I had 2 bunker shots with this ball and no scuffs.

In my search for an inexpensive ball to play for the remainder of the fall, winter, and early next season. I tried a sleeve of the Saintnine U-Pro (pink with an crocodile for those interested) and a sleeve of Cut Blue yesterday afternoon.

Saintnine U-Pro: A two piece urethane ball that goes for $25 per dozen. The biggest take away was how straight this ball seemed to fly. The flight seemed to be lower than my usual path and they rolled out on the greens despite soft and slow greens. The ball did handle full wedge shota well, so durability seems quite good. This is a ball I would definitely play in the off-season.

Cut Blue: Going for $20 per dozen, a 4 piece urethane ball. This ball consistently flew 10-12 yards further than the U-Pro. I also liked the firmer feel compared to the Tour Response that I really enjoyed playing over the last 6-7 weeks. The greens were soft and slow so I can't speak to how well the ball held the green. Most shots with it ended up within a foot of where it landed. I know there have been some durability issues with these balls but I didn't notice any. At the same time, I didn't have many full wedge shots, just a lot of half pitch shots.

My experience with the Cut Blue makes me think I should try the TP5 next season since it is firmer than the Tour Response. I could definitely play the Cut Blue year round as long as I am convinced of the durability and consistency from box to box. I think I will continue to play them through the colder months and spring then test them out alongside the TP5 and Tour Response when it warms up.

Srixon SoftFeel. Played in the wind yesterday and these flew beautifully. Nice stopping power from 150 in and smooth off the putter.
Played alone yesterday so played 2 balls for 9. “A” ball shot a 41, “B” a 42. Not bad...

Grabbed a cheap Snell MTB-x due to leaves and soggy ground, so I don't care if I lose one.
Ball performs fantastic. Comes off the driver, hybrid, and long irons with great speed.

I played 18 with the same EnCore Caliber today. Aside from some scuff marks it is in great shape. And it really performed well.

2d0b949df285755af05f24cfda1cc741.jpg

Srixon SoftFeel. Played in the wind yesterday and these flew beautifully. Nice stopping power from 150 in and smooth off the putter.
Played alone yesterday so played 2 balls for 9. “A” ball shot a 41, “B” a 42. Not bad...

Was surprised to see Dicks has a 6 pack of the new Soft Feel for 11 dollars. Not a bad way to check out a great ball.

Currently gaming TP5.

Looking for something with a stronger ball flight and less spin. Want to straighten out some iron shots a touch and have my shots affected less by wind. Finding the ball flight is a touch weak.

Want to maintain the soft feel which rules out the TP5x, didn’t enjoy putting with it either.

Thoughts?

Son gave a dozen year Pro V1s for bday and they do everything well at that price. Usually use softer Callaway or Bridgestone balls though.

Chrome x triple track. Higher ball speeds with a great alignment aid that allows for much more confidence within 12 feet. Durability is good as well.

Callaway Superhot in Bold Yellow. I'm finally getting used to the sound and texture of these matte balls.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Picked up some TourB RX yellow golf balls with my Budget Gift card. They were on sale so I decided to give them a try. Pretty good ball. I played well with it. Any complaints I had were more because of conditions that the ball. It was foggy and wet the entire round. I prefer a less expensive ball in the winter and these were on sale at $29 a dozen. Don’t think it will replace the TP5 or CS come spring but it will remain through the winter.

was gonna play a BXS but what came out of the bag was a shiny AVX...can't go wrong with that. love this ball.

Pro V1x as gifted a dozen and consistently long through out bag with good control around greens. Prefer softer feel like some Calloway but this performed great per expected.

I've been playing TP5's and Snell MTB's, both of which I like. Found a Bridgestone E6 Soft and played it over water on the next hole today. It performed well enough that I played the remainder of the round with it.

The Q Star Tour and the Chrome Soft. Both were very good. The QST seemed especially long off the tee. Even in cold winter weather I was reaching or exceeding summer locations.

Last weekend I tried the Cut Red - again. When they first came out I got a sampler sleeve of them, and they turned out to be the worst ball I ever tried. But recently I received some in my subscription box, so I decided to try them again.

While I was pleasantly surprise on my drives and approach shots with them I couldn’t hold the greens. Shots I would normally get on or near the green were releasing 10 to 20 yards further. So even on my good shots I was ending up in trouble.

PASS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Played the Mizuno RB Tour for the first time/long time. Keep turning away due to durability issues, playing old stock.

But dernit... the ball just performs for me.

Back