What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Wilson 50 Elite to start the season its a great ball for 2 piece lower compression ball.

2020 Chrome Soft X THP Truvis.

Long off the tee and feels great on the short game

Regular Chrome Soft Truvis. Great around the greens and good feel off the putter.

Tried the Quantix f-18 yesterday. Feel was good off the driver and irons, a little more firm than my regular Q-Star Tour, but not bad. Around the green, it ran out more than I expected. Not a bad ball, but nothing worth kicking my normal gamer out if the starting spot.

Played the new Callaway Supersoft. Feels better, slightly softer, than the previous version.

Another round in with the new TaylorMade TP5x. Other than minor complaints with its durability, it is as close to perfection for my needs/wants as I could find.

TP5

Launched higher than I expected and spun more off the driver than the Q Star/Tour I usually play but that’s more on my crap swing than the ball. Performed really well from 100 and in and felt great off the putter

played the avx for the first 7...PV1X for the last 2...i don't get enough spin so the PV1X works well for me. i just don't wanna spend PV1X $ to get that spin help.

played the avx for the first 7...PV1X for the last 2...i don't get enough spin so the PV1X works well for me. i just don't wanna spend PV1X $ to get that spin help.
Same for me price wise. I buy the pro v1x Practice balls. $12 to $15 less with cosmetic issues, none yet I can find though. Performance is not diminished.

You might consider last year’s PV1x, Srixon, or even Snell MTBs.

Last edited:
Bridgestone Tour BXS was the last ball I played and my thoughts are it’s the best ball ever made.

I’m totally lost when it comes to choosing a golf ball. Why? I can rarely tell the difference from one to the other.
I’ve tried to stick with the same ones for a year or so at a time, if for no other reason than consistency.
I have no idea if what I’m using is helping or hurting me, to be honest.
Here is a list of what I’ve played the last 5 years or so.
Callaway SuperSoft
Srixon Soft Feel
Srixon Q Star (last two years)
and this year
Callaway Chrome Soft (haven’t used them yet, but got 4 dozen Triple Track free by cashing in Reward points)
SS with driver is about 85mph (will turn 67 in June). What I like is a soft feeling ball, what I’m looking for though is one that will help me hit a ball higher and add some distance.
Is that something I can get from a ball change, or am I hoping for too much from a golf ball?

I’m totally lost when it comes to choosing a golf ball. Why? I can rarely tell the difference from one to the other.
I’ve tried to stick with the same ones for a year or so at a time, if for no other reason than consistency.
I have no idea if what I’m using is helping or hurting me, to be honest.
Here is a list of what I’ve played the last 5 years or so.
Callaway SuperSoft
Srixon Soft Feel
Srixon Q Star (last two years)
and this year
Callaway Chrome Soft (haven’t used them yet, but got 4 dozen Triple Track free by cashing in Reward points)
SS with driver is about 85mph (will turn 67 in June). What I like is a soft feeling ball, what I’m looking for though is one that will help me hit a ball higher and add some distance.
Is that something I can get from a ball change, or am I hoping for too much from a golf ball?
Surprised you didn't like the Super Soft or the Soft Feel. Those are solid options. The Chrome Soft is going to spin more but it is a soft. I'm 60 and if I want more distance, I'll go with the Soft Feel. Really like that ball. My gamer is the Snell Black. Does everything I want out of a ball. Good distance and great spin but not so much that it hurts me off the tee.

Played Maxfli Tour in Hi Vis Matte Green. Every time I play this ball, I like it a little bit more. 2 dozen for $55.00 is a steal.

Surprised you didn't like the Super Soft or the Soft Feel. Those are solid options. The Chrome Soft is going to spin more but it is a soft. I'm 60 and if I want more distance, I'll go with the Soft Feel. Really like that ball. My gamer is the Snell Black. Does everything I want out of a ball. Good distance and great spin but not so much that it hurts me off the tee.
I liked both, and the guy at my local golf store always recommends the soft feel to me when Srixon has their bogo promo around Father’s Day. Same with the Supersoft.
I got a great deal on a bulk buy with the Q stars though, and that’s why I switched. I could easily go back to the soft feel though, and probably will if I don’t like the Chromesoft. (they were free, and I can give them to my nephew).
Ive never tried the Snell black... had a sleeve of the Get Sum, which I didn’t like at all. It felt like they went nowhere.

Played ProV1 yesterday for 18 holes. TP5 today for 18 holes. Pretty much interchangeable for me.

Callaway Chromesoft Truvis. I don’t play them often, but when I do they are REALLY good around the green. Of course I sacrificed the two I had to the pond gods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now have 32 consecutive holes with s Titleist Tour Speed. I played my last 23 holes of 2020 with the ball and my first nine of the season today.

Pro V1. Enjoying it more and more. Like the X also but the softer feel of the non X still is better.

I tried the new Callaway Chrome Soft X LS balls this weekend. They seemed to work just fine but I didn't see any magical difference between last years CS X and this years CS X LS.
But, I have no complaints so I will keep playing them.

I played my second round this weekend with the 2020 Chrome soft X Truvis.

This round confirmed my feelings from the first round that this is a great ball. Plenty of distance off the tee and irons plus it feels great around the greens.

THP designed ball makes it easy to know it’s yours and if your playing partner asks you just say mine is the one with the chicken wings on it.

Last iteration ProV1.
Pretty decent, but I find them to spin too much for me. Always have. I do like them around the greens and short iron shots.
It seems slightly less than square impact with longer clubs result in bigger fades and hooks than any other premium ball I've played through the years.
I could probably get used to them if I played them all the time, but I'm settling in on the TM Tour Response and hoping TM doesn't change it drastically next time around.

Last iteration ProV1.
Pretty decent, but I find them to spin too much for me. Always have. I do like them around the greens and short iron shots.
It seems slightly less than square impact with longer clubs result in bigger fades and hooks than any other premium ball I've played through the years.
I could probably get used to them if I played them all the time, but I'm settling in on the TM Tour Response and hoping TM doesn't change it drastically next time around.
I found the new ProV1 to be firmer and lower spin. Almost like the AVX, but much firmer, it flies straight and has a ton of distance.

TM tour response seems to be closer to the Titleist Tour Speed, if you'd like to try that too.

I messed around with that TM a bit and do like it as well.

Played the new Callaway Supersoft. Feels better, slightly softer, than the previous version.
Softer than previous Supersoft?! Must be a balata wrapped in butter 🤣.

Back