What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a chance to play the Callaway HEX Black. Really enjoyed it a lot. Over the last year I have played the Srixon Q Star, Bridgestone E6, Titleist Velocity and the Callaway HEX Chrome. I've been trying to find a ball that has the green side spin of the Chrome, but less spin off the tee like the Q Star and Velocity. I must say I was pretty happy with the way the Black performed. I felt that it was much straighter off the tee and had good distance, although a little shorter than the Chrome. It also had very good stopping power on the greens. So far pretty happy with it and looking forward to playing it more.

I played the Nike 20XI-S during my last round and really liked the way the ball played. I hit it on afew holes in the past, and was not too impressed so I put them on the back burner. With my stock of e6's dwindling, I decided to play them exclusively for a round and see how they worked for me. Going into it, I was expecting a lot of side spin off the driver compared to the e6 that I typically play, but they stayed surprisingly straight (well most of the time). One of my biggest issues with the ball from the start was that it seems to have a louder 'clicking' noise off my putter and wedges than I am used too, but the more I played with it through out the day, the less I noticed. The ball stopped quickly and easily after hitting the greens on iron shots and wedge pitches/chips, and I love seeing that in a ball.

man I lost eight balls on the front alone. thank goodness I didn't lose any on the back.
from pro v's to war birds to e6's to nxt tours
front was brutal

I finally got a chance to play the Callaway HEX Black. Really enjoyed it a lot. Over the last year I have played the Srixon Q Star, Bridgestone E6, Titleist Velocity and the Callaway HEX Chrome. I've been trying to find a ball that has the green side spin of the Chrome, but less spin off the tee like the Q Star and Velocity. I must say I was pretty happy with the way the Black performed. I felt that it was much straighter off the tee and had good distance, although a little shorter than the Chrome. It also had very good stopping power on the greens. So far pretty happy with it and looking forward to playing it more.

Played the Hex Chrome for a while and switched to the Hex Black on the advice of the Callaway Van guys when they were at the course. Really like the Hex Black. Great ball.

Played the Hex Chrome for a while and switched to the Hex Black on the advice of the Callaway Van guys when they were at the course. Really like the Hex Black. Great ball.

What was the reason they gave to switch to the Black?

man I lost eight balls on the front alone. thank goodness I didn't lose any on the back.
from pro v's to war birds to e6's to nxt tours
front was brutal

Been there before, so I can feel your pain. I started a round with 12 balls a few weeks ago, and found a bunch on the course. Went to go out the next day, and had 4 balls in my bag. I have no idea how many I lost...

I played the penta TP5, I hit some beautiful drives with it yesterday and was very impressed with the distance and spin I got with it.

I played the 2012 version of the Bridgestone Tour B330s and I did not like it compared to the Bridgestone B330. It is 20 yards shorter off the driver and 1/2 club short on the irons and didn't show that much improvement in the spin department. It launched lower and ballooned, I prefer a ball that launches and descends close to the same angle which is what the B330 gives me.

I wanted more short game spin around the green, but not at the loss of distance this ball gave me. If I'm 20 yards shorter off the driver my GIR's just went down a lot due t me hitting 6 or 7 irons in instead of say a 9 or PW, they will hurt anyone's score.

I found a Q star that looked like it had been hit once before someone lost it in the trees. I've heard a ton about this ball here on THP but I just never made the jump to it. From what I saw today I think this could be a future gamer for me. I hit it very well off tee today and my iron shots were hitting and releasing about 5-10 feet. Putting with it felt pretty good too. I'm going to have to seriously consider this ball after the Morgan Cup.

I found a Q star that looked like it had been hit once before someone lost it in the trees. I've heard a ton about this ball here on THP but I just never made the jump to it. From what I saw today I think this could be a future gamer for me. I hit it very well off tee today and my iron shots were hitting and releasing about 5-10 feet. Putting with it felt pretty good too. I'm going to have to seriously consider this ball after the Morgan Cup.

Yeah that's why I bought a dozen finally, I always find them and I want to check them out!

Yeah that's why I bought a dozen finally, I always find them and I want to check them out!

I was super impressed. Greens were a little softer today due to a quick overnight storm. Wondering how they'd be on real firm greens.

I was super impressed. Greens were a little softer today due to a quick overnight storm. Wondering how they'd be on real firm greens.

They run out a little more on firm greens but they work fine on full shots.

E-7 this thing is long.

E6 optic yellow......so much easier to track

Dt solo. Think im going back to the e6. Straighter. Better feel.

Slazenger Extreme. I recently had a few of them given to me and they actually worked a lot better than I expected. Granted, they feel like rocks but the spin with them was actually pretty decent. I actually had to use my ball mark repair tool for the first time in a long time and they hold the green a lot better than the E6s that I had been using.

2011 NXT (Yellow Box) Depleting my supply of ammo before giving the TM Penta TP3 a try.

Played the Wilson Fg Tour for the first 9 today. It's a great ball, it I just don't generate enough spin to take advantage of it around the greens. I did better with the q-star on the back 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Payed the Wilson Fg Tour for the first 9 today. It's a great ball, it I just don't generate enough spin to take advantage of it around the greens. I did better with the q-star on the back 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I like the FG Tour a good bit, overall a good ball. You were hitting the Q Star much better on the back 9 today, plus it's yellow which is awesome.

I went strictly with TM TP5. I was not going to do any ball testing today. Wanted to beat the pants off the group I was with. This ball gives me the best/most consistant results of any ball I have used. This course today was unfamilar to me, so I wanted to have something I was confortable playing. Closest member in our group was 11 shoys back. Good ball striking day.

Taylormade tp5
These balls feel great off driver and long irons when flushed.
Great spin on wedge shots too. Can hold some of the hardest greens.

I played Wilson Staff ZIP, really liked it, great distance off the tee, (this is dumb and no one will believe me but I hit 3 drives over 300 today, one was 324 gps measured) with very little sides spin. Irons were good with one hop and stop. Very little rollout on chips and pitches with most one or two hops and then stopping. Putting was the weak part, it wasn't bad but not much feel to it. Overall I really like the ball and will keep it in the rotation.

I played the Gamer. And it will continue to be my gamer.

front i played nxt tour s
back i played nike 20xi x
both are pretty solid balls... i think i hit the nike a lil further off the tee but the titleist felt better off my putter

Penta TP5 has lasted 27 holes and doesn't have any major scuff marks will last another 18 hopefully. Great distance with all clubs great short game spin and low side spin with long clubs! New love affair with this ball!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back