What club do you regret getting rid of?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
A buddy and I were talking yesterday about the clubs we regret settling for one reason or another. You can try replacing it with the same model but it's just never the same as that original magic. Do you have any clubs that if you could do it over you would have kept?

Here is the list I came up with:

- Great Big Bertha 3 wood (the most recent version). That club was automatic off the tee for me and I was great with it off the fairway. It wasn't the longest but it was super consistent.

- Scotty Cameron Laguna. It had the plumbers neck which I don't prefer but for some reason I was great with it. I tried getting another after I sold it but it just wasn't the same.

- TaylorMade M1 driver. Sure it wasn't very forgiving but I did my first real fitting and found a setup that worked great with that driver. It's the only setup I've found that I consistently hit perfect little baby fades.

Man. This is tough because for the most part every club I’ve gotten rid of, I’ve gotten rid of for a reason.

I’ll go my Callaway Rogue 3 wood. I hit the living pissout of that thing. I let someone borrow it, they sky marked it and I hated it from that point forward because I couldn’t look down at it. lol

G400 Max would be first.
Speedblades irons.

M6 driver

Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons.

I think back over the years and there are a lot of clubs I really liked at the time. Many of them I wouldn't be able to hit any more as I've gotten older and my swing has slowed down. The one club that I got rid of and wish I still had is a 6 hybrid that was a knockoff of a Ping G10. It was the most consistently good club I've ever had. I could hit it most anywhere. In the fairway, rough, hard pan, fairway bunker or deep rough. I always advanced the ball to a better location. The funny thing was that I couldn't have gotten another one just like it. The shaft was designed to go into that club head but I have no idea what flex it was. It was an old shaft that I had laying around and I didn't know how it had been trimmed. I just epoxied it into the head and played it like that, no swing weighting or anything but it seemed to fit me perfectly.

Titleist 915 3 Wood. I traded it in on a 917 3 Wood thinking it would be better, but it was never the same. The Rogue hybrids were awesome too.

My kid grabbed and sold a Callaway older model 5 wood made an Albatross with and I miss it - had a ProForce black and gold shaft and hit many good shots with it. Second was a Scotty similar to what Woods games and I never should have moved on from that. Have another Scotty but don’t get on runs with it like did with the former. Finally, I wish I had kept my Hogan Edge original model as won a tournament with them. Something about the Apex shafts just worked for me.

A buddy and I were talking yesterday about the clubs we regret settling for one reason or another. You can try replacing it with the same model but it's just never the same as that original magic. Do you have any clubs that if you could do it over you would have kept?

Here is the list I came up with:

- Great Big Bertha 3 wood (the most recent version). That club was automatic off the tee for me and I was great with it off the fairway. It wasn't the longest but it was super consistent.

- Scotty Cameron Laguna. It had the plumbers neck which I don't prefer but for some reason I was great with it. I tried getting another after I sold it but it just wasn't the same.

- TaylorMade M1 driver. Sure it wasn't very forgiving but I did my first real fitting and found a setup that worked great with that driver. It's the only setup I've found that I consistently hit perfect little baby fades.
This was a good question, but I could not think of one club that I should have not got rid of. If anything, I need to get rid of some more. I do regret some I have purchased though ;)

2017 M1 440 driver.
Big Bertha Alpha 816 4 wood.

Taylormade 3 wood

They made some nice FWs

My very first Scotty Cameron- pro platinum Coronado mid slant

Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons.

Got em! Game em! Are they the best tech?
Prolly not. Can I hit them all a consistent distance if my swing is on? Yup.

For me it might be letting my kid have the Mizuno MP18’s. I hit them very consistently. I get a crazy flier or two usually with my set. Those are smooth and cleanly hit will go the same distance over and over.

2016 M1. Still kick myself.

Taylormade sldr mini driver. Not a sexy choice, but it was reliable when I needed a fairway above anything else.

My Nike Vapor Fly Pro driver. That thing went straight for me very consistently. I replaced it with a Cobra F9 and that thing was a rocket so I sold the Nike. But I never was as consistent after that

14* SLDR TP with a Black Tie 7m3. That driver wasn't very forgiving, but I've never found one longer out of the middle.

Titleist 915 3 Wood. I traded it in on a 917 3 Wood thinking it would be better, but it was never the same. The Rogue hybrids were awesome too.
The 915 fairways were awesome! They looked so good and had a great feel.

I had to retire my putter a while back due to injury.....to the putter. This after 20+ years.

It's replacement is doing an adequate job, but it's not the same.

I got rid of a set of Titleist 735.cm irons and then the very next season I bought them again. They were so good.

2016 M1. Still kick myself.

I’ve got a 7.5* M1 430 floating around here somewhere if you’re really kicking yourself. No help here if you’re looking for the 460. The 430 is considered one of the longest drivers ever, but minimal forgiveness. A lot like their SLDR a year or two prior.

I’ve got a 7.5* M1 430 floating around here somewhere if you’re really kicking yourself. No help here if you’re looking for the 460. The 430 is considered one of the longest drivers ever, but minimal forgiveness. A lot like their SLDR a year or two prior.
I liked the 460. It wasn't necessarily forgiving either, but it was good. They changed the crown, the weight distribution, and added left bias to the 2017 and effed it all up for me.

Back