What club do you use to punch out under trees ?

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
Lets say your ball is in a tree line where you must punch out low to get back on the fairway with tree canopies in your way. Which club can you reliably hit low and still have a chance not to hit the trees nor get caught short in the rough ? Let's say you are satisfied if you can just to get back on the fairway which is only 40 yards away. I use a Cleveland Nublick 37* with the ball back in the stance and I close the face and swing keeping the clubhead close to the ground. It doesn't always work, but it is more a function of the swing execution than the club. My 2nd choice is a choked down 24* TEE hybrid. The face is hot so there is a better chance of not getting caught in the rough. What do you use ?

I generally choke down on my 21* hybrid and give it almost a chipping motion type of shot. I've had lots of practice since I used to spend most of my time under the trees on the right side of the fairway.

I use the Mashie 4h usually

I use my 4 iron, works every time.

Hybrid for me, its good through the rough and easy to fade/slice or draw/hook around trees and stays low

22* hybrid usually, sometimes the 6 iron, depends on how low the tree limbs are really.

All depends on the lie and what distance I want to try to hit for my next shot. It could be anything from a 3 hybrid to a 6i

4 to 6 iron. Just depends on how low and far I need to carry it.

I used a 3w the other day from 85 yards under some low branches, rolled up on the fringe. Generally depends if I can get air time or not, but usually a hybrid.

4 iron all day my friend

depends on how far I want to advance the ball or how far I can advance the ball. Anything from the hybrid to an 8 iron

I always use my 7 iron. Play it back in the stance, deloft the face and give it a nice half swing. I very rarely ever have a problem getting out of the trees. (maybe because i have so much practice??? :confused2:)

All depends on the siteeacion but lately Ive been using the Mashie quite a bit for the punch out.

I spend a TON of time in the trees last weekend and I only used my 6 or 7 iron. I would play the ball back in my stance and make sure to close the face. I would try my best to hit a shot similar to a chipping stroke to ensure I dont hit it too hard or get it too high in the air.

Punching out is crazy. I get all workabilitied on that ball. :D

Spoiler
rope.jpg

icn-snelled-carp-fishing-hooks1.jpg

6a00d8341c767353ef01348456ee2d970c-800wi

Usually a 5 iron, but I think I'll try a hybrid, depending on the situation.

3 hybrid every time.

usually I will choke down on a mashie now, or it used to be a mid iron and do a nice little punch shot low and straight. It really just depends where I am, how much to the green, and all that jazz.

However the last time I was out playing I sliced one into a bad spot. There was no clear play under the trees thanks to a lot of brush, of course rather than being smart and chipping out into the fairway leaving myself a ~200 yard run into the green I played more risky. I ended up grabbing my 56* wedge and played over the trees (tall, tall, tall!), which actually worked out really well the one time I really needed a great shot and lucky for me it happened. The ball got up in a hurry and cleared the tree tops leaving another wedge shot into the green and a saved par.

I would use something lower lofted like a 3 or 4 iron.

I don't have a go-to club for that shot. The distance I need determines my club. My best ever punch shot was a few weeks ago, I was under a tree and the trunk stood between me and the green. Had to work the ball to get there and didn't really think I could pull it off, but with my 9 iron I managed a punch hook landing about 20 feet from the pin.

Spoiler
rope.jpg

hahahahaha at first I saw this and said wtf and then it clicked. lmao

bwuahahahaha, I've seen it to. Nothing can stop the RHMJ!

Spoiler
rope.jpg

hahaha...I have seen this, it works! My bro tried it once, it didnt work

hahaha...I have seen this, it works! My bro tried it once, it didnt work

He has to channel his inner Steve Jobs.

LMAO....RHMJ needs to go viral video soon.....seeing is believing

Back