What club do you use to punch out under trees ?

Usually, I will hit 4-iron. For me, its more of a feel shot but I find that a low-lofted iron helps me to keep it low.

I prefer a 5i, but it really depends on how low I need to go.

usually 5 or 6 iron. although, yesterday i was 190 out with a low-hanging tree about 15 yards in front of me. took out my 5 hybo and did a little half swing punch shot, and luckily i was on the hole with the hardest fairway and it rolled up around a trap and past the pin to about 8 feet :)

normally a 6i. I keep my swing really low and I can control the flight and shape the ball if needed

I tried something different last round and used my lowest lofted clubs whenever possible, even my 3 wood, what a bad decision. I came way under everything, I think I just need to take my 5 iron, my lowest lofted iron, and put it back in my stance and make a nice chip motion just to get the ball back in play, no more hero shots for me!

i like using my rescue to punch out..especially in the rough

Choked down 7 iron, ball back in my stance, hands locked a bit forward and don't give up on the shot.

I'm trying to apply some science here and not go by "feel" or "touch." How does one decide which club to hit a punch shot?

For example:

You've got a low hanging tree branch that you must fly the ball under and you're 100 yds from the green.

Do you club up one, two or three clubs to make the 100 yds and take your normal low to low swing?

Or, do you decide which lofted club would create the height desired and alter your stroke length to equal 100 yds?

I decide which club will get under the branch and then try and judge the distance with a lesser swing

Under a tree - low shot club

Under a tree - low shot club

I used the have 3 or 4 iron for this but 4 hybrid replaced them. 5 iron seem to be my choice but I wasn't successful the past week. What do you use and what are swing steps/thoughts?

Is pitch shot sideways an option?

I typically use my 5 iron ball back in my stance...

I'm carrying the 4 iron again so that is my low shot club. I play it back on the back instep and try to hit the low hook so I can get lots of roll to help with the distance if I need it.

Depends upon the distance, but I usually punch under trees using my 5 iron or my 3 hybrid. Ball back in my stance, legs a bit closer together than normal, thinking about ball-first contact.

It depends on distance called for. I use anywhere from three iron to PW depending on how high the limbs are to hit under. Keys are stay real steady in the body and head, short back swing and short finish. Don't hit it hard enough to cause spin. Spin makes the ball rise. I get to hit quiet a few of these shots on three or four holes at my club.

Depending on distance I use anywhere between a 9iron and a 5iron. My keys are to choke down on the club. Play the ball back in my stance. Short back swing with a low follow through. Commit to the shot and excelerate all the way through

I usually use my 3 hybrid for this shot and am back towards the fwy. I take more of a hard putter stroke. Ball just pops up a little the runs out. Now it doesn't work if your all the way in a bush and can barely get at the ball. I've tried. :bulgy-eyes:

Choke down on my F7 or F5 and use a putting stroke. Works every time.

No lie, I used to hit a choked down driver as my "stinger low shot" under the trees...and I am in the trees a lot. Super weird but I was pretty good at it as long as the short grass was close enough. I'd play it off the back foot, choked down to the shaft, with a long punching putter stroke.

Last year I worked on the hooded 4 iron as my go to, or whatever iron I "felt" I could keep low enough, and I pulled off some great shots. I hit a punch 7 iron under low hanging trees and through a field goal post set up to about 4 feet, a shot I will never forget. Luckily I had the balls to try it because it was a 2 man scramble.

I use my rescue if there is rough, then I hit a low punch shot by placing the ball in the back of the stance, and cast the club like a fairway sand bunker shot, this is what a team coach taught me to play.

No lie, I used to hit a choked down driver as my "stinger low shot" under the trees...and I am in the trees a lot. Super weird but I was pretty good at it as long as the short grass was close enough. I'd play it off the back foot, choked down to the shaft, with a long punching putter stroke.

Last year I worked on the hooded 4 iron as my go to, or whatever iron I "felt" I could keep low enough, and I pulled off some great shots. I hit a punch 7 iron under low hanging trees and through a field goal post set up to about 4 feet, a shot I will never forget. Luckily I had the balls to try it because it was a 2 man scramble.

I use to use a driver back in the day as well my trusted 975D but at that time used a 2 iron as well I would use!

Nowadays I use depending on distance a 3-7 iron choked down on the grip and ball in the back of my stance with a closed clubface and a 3/4 backswing.

Usually a 4 or 5 iron... put ball back in my stance & finish with a low follow thru.

Love to use a 4i for that shot

You can use an iron, hybrid, or FW for this shot. Put it back in your stance and swing!

Generally use my 4-hybrid or 5-iron, depending on the situation

Back