What club do you use to punch out under trees ?

It depends upon how low the branches are. A 3 or 4 iron, if really low branches. That's the only reason I still carry a 3 and 4 iron!!! I only hit my 4 iron about 10 yards farther than my 5 iron. I'd get rid of both the 3 and 4 iron if I could hit my hybrids decently!

This happened to me today and, while driving up to the ball i thot of this thread. I was so far under the tree i couldnt swing a club back enough to do any good so, i opted for my ..... PUTTER. It was about 40-45 yards, it was the first time i've ever attempted this shot with a putter.(H#LL it was the first time i had even thot about it,LOL)The rough was pretty hairy and i had to roll over the cart path plus the green has a big whale hump in front of it(which of course was right in my line) so, i knew i would have to get some juice on it. I hit it good but a little hard then drove on up and it was just hangin on the back of the green. I got it up and down which was more than i thot i would do. My new answer is 5-iron, 24* fybrid and PUTTER.

Use my 5-iron mostly.

I use a hooded 4 iron and put the ball at almost next to the inside of my back foot.......I love them low flyers!

i find i make the best contact with a half to 3/4 swing, hooded. If i fully hood the club to keep it low under trees, i make poor contact on a full swing. So my easiest is a 7 iron, and i can get that to go about 100-110 yards pretty easily. better to make good contact with a half swing - than poor contact, or top it, with a full.

I have tried hybrids, fairway woods in the past - but i think irons have better results.

This happened to me today and, while driving up to the ball i thot of this thread. I was so far under the tree i couldnt swing a club back enough to do any good so, i opted for my ..... PUTTER. It was about 40-45 yards, it was the first time i've ever attempted this shot with a putter.(H#LL it was the first time i had even thot about it,LOL)The rough was pretty hairy and i had to roll over the cart path plus the green has a big whale hump in front of it(which of course was right in my line) so, i knew i would have to get some juice on it. I hit it good but a little hard then drove on up and it was just hangin on the back of the green. I got it up and down which was more than i thot i would do. My new answer is 5-iron, 24* fybrid and PUTTER.

See post #48!

I think the guy they named the world's worst golfer, the guy who shot 66 on one hole #17 at TPC Sawgrass, he finally hit a putter all the way down and around the path and around the water to get onto the island green after hitting about 25 balls into the water off the tee. I have used a putter to get out of a bunker with no lip and no sand in it to speak - really bad golf course that one.

I play a hooded 4-Iron, or maybe a 5-Iron; choked down with an inside-out path. If I'm in tree trouble it's usually because I went left off the tee. From the left side of the fairway, it's more effective to hook a ball onto the fairway and let it run toward the hole. That's why I prefer the hooded 4-Iron low hook shot.

That's an excellent question, by the way. Great thread!

I am the OP for this thread. I find the responses to be pretty standard. However, when some said they would even use a driver or putter that suprised and intrigued me. My biggest challenge is that I seem to be able to elevate any shot using any club especially when I want it to go low. I don't feel comfortable choking down on any club unless I am chipping. The next time out, I am going to try the putter. I have a Cleveland mallet. As I understand it, most putters have a loft of 4*, and I won't need to choke down. I am just intrested in getting back on the fairway and "taking my medicine".

Normally a good choked down 4h with the ball way back in my stance does the trick.

A lot of variables come into play on a shot like this.
If I had to pick one club to use on all shots like that, it would have to be my 5 iron.
I can keep it real low by putting the ball back in my stance and I can still get a lot of distance if that is needed.

whelp... on the first hole of the day i used a 5i 2x and failed once :sad:

It depends on the lie-tight ,rough,or-but normally I use my 4 iron and play it back.Did that twice Friday,one time just a short punch to get back into the fairway and once on a long punch that rolled about 135 yds to the front of the green.

Punch Shot Club Selection

Punch Shot Club Selection

I'm trying to apply some science here and not go by "feel" or "touch." How does one decide which club to hit a punch shot?

For example:

You've got a low hanging tree branch that you must fly the ball under and you're 100 yds from the green.

Do you club up one, two or three clubs to make the 100 yds and take your normal low to low swing?

Or, do you decide which lofted club would create the height desired and alter your stroke length to equal 100 yds?

If I can't hit over it, I usually hit driver and swing according to the distance. I can't keep anything else low enough most of the time. I suck at keeping it low.

For me it depends on the situation. If I have lots of fairway in front on me to run it up to the green with, I will use a lower iron like a 4 or 5. If I have to carry it most of the way and keep it low, I'll take maybe a 7 or an 8 and hope I don't run it through the green.

For me it depends on the situation. If I have lots of fairway in front on me to run it up to the green with, I will use a lower iron like a 4 or 5. If I have to carry it most of the way and keep it low, I'll take maybe a 7 or an 8 and hope I don't run it through the green.

Yep.....that's me!!

5i, 6i, or hybrid depending on the height of that limb using your second option. I like the hybrid because it's pretty easy to hook/draw, and I can fade/slice it around the block if I need to. 3W works if you want to keep it on the ground.

Kevin

I like to use a 5 or 7 iron for punch shots, depending on how far and how high the branch is in front of me. I love to practice 100 yard 5,6,7,8, iron shots at the range when I have time, it really helps with the up and downs..

Mashie F5, hold it down past the grip and make a putting stroke.

It depends on what I have in front of me, lie, what kind of backswing I can take, etc. But for me, I like the 7 iron or my 3 hybrid. The one thing I have found is that I can usually work the hybrid both ways but can only draw a punch iron shot at the moment.

Hooded 7iron, ball back in my stance. Abbreviated swing.

Usually a hooded 7i or 5i. Sometimes a 3mtl choked way down and crisp punch for alot of run

Almost always a 5 iron. I have "practiced" with it enough that I feel somewhat confident with it.

Back