What Club Technology/Advancement Has Helped You The Most?

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I was thinking about all of the current offerings that we know of for next year and contemplating what may be coming from other OEM's. It got me thinking about all of the new features that are being touted by each OEM. Some of them I can say I have noticed as a benefit. Others, maybe a little harder to say whether it's actually made an impact. Some of that could be maybe chalked up to aggressive marketing. The tech is there and the OEM wants you to know about it so it's heavy in their marketing strategy. But, maybe something you wouldn't notice unless someone told you about it.

So, out of all of the technology that has been added to golf clubs the past 10 years, I was trying to think of the one thing that I can say, "yes, it works and yes, it helped my game." There are a few things that I haven't really seen much of a benefit to for my game. For instance, moveable heel to toe weights have never made much of an impact on my ball flight. But, front to back moveable weights most definitely have. I could see and feel the difference. Twist face as another example. Some people swear by it and others seem to find it a nuance. I haven't spent enough time with it to form an opionion one way or another. Just using it as an example. Adjustable hosels are a given. But, since it's almost an industry standard now, I just assume any driver I get will have it.

Initially, I was thinking my answer would be Jailbreak. The OG Epic SZ was hands down the best driver I had ever hit at the time. I felt like I was longer because of it. But, then I got to thinking. Other OEM's are now keeping up with that advance. Without the Jailbreak tech.

So, I think I have settled on a more generic advancement. Or, maybe an area of focus than any one piece of tech. The fact that OEM's all seem to be pushing the limits on ball speed across the face using any one of many methods. Flash Face (AI), Speed Foam (I think that's what it's called) in TM, Cobra's precise face milling. All of these things geared towards making the face as exact and consistent as they can. I saw that this year with the standard Mavrik driver. For as forgiving as that club was with relatively lower MOI, it was amazing. I hit the TM and Cobra options a few times and was very impressed with those as well. Even seeing it leak into irons as well. Mavrik this year, X Forged UT for 2021. Even Srixon utilizing AI on their new irons.

Is there anything else that stands out to you guys? Anything out there that wowed you to the point where you knew it was having a measurable impact on your game?

The AI face in the Mavrik has been amazing for me, with being able to miss some on the high toe and they still get out their with crazy distance. That being said, it is the Triple Track alignment option on the ball. It has made more precise on the greens and when you aim smaller, you miss smaller. I should invest in the putter too! Maybe this winter I add that to the bag.

Jacked lofts!!!!! Seriously though I think Jailbreak was/is fantastic. Hitting a mallet putter has been pretty good to me also.

Probably adjustable hosels/adapters for drivers.

jailbreak stuff is a good one.

hollow/player distance irons more recently for me.

Umm... most of my clubs are older than 10 years so... nothing.:ROFLMAO:

For me it was finding THP to learn about all the stuff I didnt know I was missing :ROFLMAO:.

But after that, it would be getting into the correct shaft for my swing, instead of what I was hitting before. Not so much a technology, but better understanding all the golf language.

Just using it as an example. Adjustable hosels are a given. But, since it's almost an industry standard now, I just assume any driver I get will have it.

And older than 10 years :D

Trackman/QC quad/fitting bays. The ability to walk in adn know how a given club technology is impacted or impacts my swing and my results.

Game changer. Granted they have been for a while but the impact is still being discovered by golfers everywhere.

Last edited:
SFT from Ping. It literally put the driver back in my bag. It transformed me from one who couldn't hit a driver to one who could hit a driver on most any hole.

The AI face in the Mavrik has been amazing for me, with being able to miss some on the high toe and they still get out their with crazy distance. That being said, it is the Triple Track alignment option on the ball. It has made more precise on the greens and when you aim smaller, you miss smaller. I should invest in the putter too! Maybe this winter I add that to the bag.
Ooh, I had that in mind too. Such a simple addition. But, a great one no less.

Probably adjustable hosels/adapters for drivers.

I also like this! It has helped me a lot too. I am a high ball hitter and have seen benefits from being able to turn down the loft and open the face. I may have had a 30-40 yard hook back in the day.

Callaway's adjustable sleeve that allows you to use things like align grips without worry they'd get twisted about as you adjust the club

And older than 10 years :D
Versions with improvements from several OEM’s are less than 10 years old. :eek:

Not sure if this counts or how new they are, but oversized putter grips have probably caused the biggest improvement in my game.

I agree with many of these posts already but I'll say the advancements and number of options of shafts. It was eye opening seeing how much difference plugging in different shafts in the same driver head made a few years in a fitting.

Really enjoying lowish spin anti slice driver technology right now. Thanks Callaway Big Bertha B21!

I hate agreeing with too many Minnesotans, but Matty mentioned both my answers—but TT in general for me.

Not sure if this counts or how new they are, but oversized putter grips have probably caused the biggest improvement in my game.
Counts in my book! I used one for many years. They came at a time where I really needed a shot in the arm for my putting. Helped me a lot at the time.

I hate agreeing with too many Minnesotans, but Matty mentioned both my answers—but TT in general for me.

I'm going slightly outside the box here, and say Arccos. I thought that I knew my clubs from so much range time, however knowing my actual yardages on course has helped my game exponentially! And then add in all the other tracking features and numbers for me to track my progress... It's been a complete game changer.

I honestly think that my playing partners have also benefitted as result since they see what club I'm taking and know how their shots compare.

I'm going slightly outside the box here, and say Arccos. I thought that I knew my clubs from so much range time, however knowing my actual yardages on course has helped my game exponentially! And then add in all the other tracking features and numbers for me to track my progress... It's been a complete game changer.

I honestly think that my playing partners have also benefitted as result since they see what club I'm taking and know how their shots compare.

That is a great thought too!

The GPS shot tracking for me, and it's not even close. The ability to hit and fit on a monitor might be second, but having all the on course shot data staring me in the face for each club decides what gear I play, how I play it, how I play the course, what I need to work on, you name it.

Edit: @YukonLiving beat me to it while I was swyping. And he said it. It IS an actual game changer.

Last edited:
Back