What club (Yardage) that would get you over the “hump”

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been analyzing my game today and there is a certain club (me 5i) which is about 170 yds. There are times multiple times I encounter that distance and I have no confidence that I could hit that shot. I tried to use choke 4H to hit the shot but I rarely hit it correctly. 5H didn’t do any better.
I drive well, anything under 160 I am all golden. Under 100yds I am decent enough to score well. Even on par 3 with that yardage I am so lost I don’t know what da heck I am doing.
Is there any yardage that you wish you are better at so you can get over that “hump”

Seriously my driver is straighter than my 5i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180 is my achilles...Little too far to carry my 4Hy and my 3Hy carries it but won't stop. Have thought about reinvigorating a 5W.....

Would prefer to eliminate the 175-190 yard distance. Not that it is terrible, just lower confidence in it than even a longer yardage.

Hitting a driver straight for 250 would shave a few thousand strokes off my score...

It’s my 5i slot too. I am as confident with my 6i as any below it, but hit a wall with the 5I. My 4H if hit well created a gap from the 6I at 175 to the 4H at 200. So I need a 185-190 club. But I hit my 5I same distance as 6 but no launch.

If you are talking distance to the green then I would say then 170-190 is a crap shoot for me, 5 iron maybe make it 4 iron or hybrid not enough angle of decent to possibly hold the green. I would be better off going gw,gw .:(

3 yards (~10 feet).

Seriously, I need putting help.

That 200+ or so range, I wish I was confident enough to pull a fairway wood, hybrid or say 3, 4 or 5 iron, sometimes even the 6, that I feel like I know I could hit a good shot consistently and even just pound a 2nd shot on a par 5. If I have a longer approach on a par 4 or 5, I'm usually hoping and praying or hitting a 7i confidently, but knowing I'm probably not going to be putting next!

180-215 (6 iron-4 iron). That's why I am giving one length a try, I am good with 7 iron and down, and am confident in my hybrids above 215. Mid to long irons.. I suck

200-225 range is the big gap in my bag right now. I can hit to 185 with 5 iron, then 3 wood and 5 wood are both right at 200 yards. :dohanim:

On the flip side of that, anything under 50 yards is a dumpster fire right now with my wedges. :ROFLMAO:

180-190 for sure. I don't end up there often, but when I do, 8/10 times ends up being an extra stroke seeing as the accuracy from that point is shoddy at best.

Would prefer to eliminate the 175-190 yard distance. Not that it is terrible, just lower confidence in it than even a longer yardage.

Same, with a bit of an amendment. Off the tee only. 175-200 from the fairway, quite good. 175-200 from the tee, my worst percentage shot. Not terrible, but noticeably worse, and it baffles me.

210-225 for me. my utility iron wont get there for me and 3W is just inconsistent

this is me too. This is a distance that is a 50/50 proposition at best for me right now and it's what I am fixing leading into this year.

Worse for me really for the most part. I get to 6i and I lose my mind. The dumb thing is I was killing my 6i yesterday at my fitting and that never happens on the course. I honestly think confidence, for me anyway, is the issue. I have been intentionally focusing my practice on the clubs most uncomfortable to me and I have been seeing improvements. My plan for now is to continue that trend of practice to work out the nerves, lack of confidence, and downright being a timid sissy at times with some of them. For me that basically means 6i and up is my focus right now.

Other than wishing all my clubs went further, I don't have a bad yardage. I did have to replace the 5 iron from my current set with something more useful though. It just didn't gap well for some reason? My set 4 Iron averages 180 and my set 6 iron averages 166, so a 170 yard 5 Iron didn't provide enough to waste one of those 12 valuable slots between driver and putter.

80 yd out i always leave short my u i hit to far and my 58 to short

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

185-205 which is the top end of my bag any ways. I have a 23* and 20* hybrid I just don't get along with and looking forward to trying out some new FW's to see how they set up for me.

I’ve been analyzing my game today and there is a certain club (me 5i) which is about 170 yds. There are times multiple times I encounter that distance and I have no confidence that I could hit that shot. I tried to use choke 4H to hit the shot but I rarely hit it correctly. 5H didn’t do any better.
I drive well, anything under 160 I am all golden. Under 100yds I am decent enough to score well. Even on par 3 with that yardage I am so lost I don’t know what da heck I am doing.
Is there any yardage that you wish you are better at so you can get over that “hump”

Seriously my driver is straighter than my 5i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could hit ANYTHING 170! My 5 iron goes 150 at best. That 165-180 range is one I need a solution for. I can't hit hybrids at all, and my 3 and 4 ironwoods - which I consider irons, not hybrids - are iffy at best. Off the tee not so much. But my ball could go anywhere if hitting them off the deck.

If I could find ONE club to get me to around 170 consistently my handicap would drop over night.

That 200+ or so range, I wish I was confident enough to pull a fairway wood, hybrid or say 3, 4 or 5 iron, sometimes even the 6, that I feel like I know I could hit a good shot consistently and even just pound a 2nd shot on a par 5. If I have a longer approach on a par 4 or 5, I'm usually hoping and praying or hitting a 7i confidently, but knowing I'm probably not going to be putting next!
So I'm not the only one? That's good to know. :cool:

4-8 feet. I’m determined to get better at those this year and have found a putting guru I’ll be working with. If that doesn’t work I’ll find a Sports psychologist. :)

20-50yds

Actual conversation at my fitting when we got to wedges -

Fitter -OK, go ahead and make your 30 yard swing
Me- I ain’t got no 30 yard swing
Fitter - what do you do when you are 30 yards out?
Me - I don’t leave myself that yardage
Fitter - no, seriously
Me - I am serious. If I leave myself that yardage it’s on accident
Fitter - so what do you do if you accidentally have a 30 yard shot?
Me - usually blade it 100 yards and then have a partial LW coming back
Fitter - (shakes his head) are you happy with your current wedges?
Me - Yeah
Fitter - Ok, let’s move to woods

140 yards. Just between an 8 and a 7

230-240. I don’t know what it is, but that window always messes with me. Luckily I’m rarely at that distance into a hole.

Also, virtually ANYWHERE on the green. God my putting is horrible...

180 yds.

There's a 170 yd par 3 on the course. I can get on. I can even sometimes get on a green from 175. But 180? That's a 5H and I'm not accurate with it. That's my get me close 185 + roll club. I can't hit a 5 iron. I might want to think about giving up a wedge and getting 6H to fit between my 6i and 5H.

Back