What constitutes a "Serious Breach"?

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
With all the Phil controversy at the US Open and how many in the Golf world are discussing this, what do you consider a "Serious Breach"?

With all the Phil controversy at the US Open and how many in the Golf world are discussing this, what do you consider a "Serious Breach"?

Illegal clubs. Basically going into it knowing you're cheating the game.

A big hole in the hull.

Punching another player

Making triple and writing down Par

The trusty 'ol foot wedge.

I always thought a "breach" was a "breach". Is a serious breach like a mortal sin, and a non-serious breach like a venial sin? 2 Hail Mary's vs. the whole Rosary? Golf is so confusing!

Carrying more than 14 clubs in your bag.

I think in an actual tournament it would be anything that gives you an unfair advantage. Phil took the penalty so he didnt really gain an advantage someone else couldnt have also had if they wanted.

I dont think there is really any breach in golf with my friends except if they run me over with a golf cart.

The Kool-Aid Man's blatant disregard for doorways.

Non-skinny golfers in skinny golf clothes.

The Kool-Aid Man's blatant disregard for doorways.
I had completely forgotten about the Kool-Aid Man.

But you're right---total breach.

So utterly and completely socially inept.

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect he:

Probably doesn't tend the flag when first to putt out, plays the wrong tee for his handicap, and writes down his score instead of zooming off immediately to the next hole.

So definitively gauche.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had completely forgotten about the Kool-Aid Man.

But you're right---total breach.

So utterly and completely socially inept.

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect he:

Probably doesn't tend the flag when first to putt out, plays the wrong tee for his handicap, and writes down his score instead of zooming off immediately to the next hole.

So definitively gauche.....

Player A: "Kool-Aid Man, what did you get there? Par?

Kool-Aid Man: "Oh Yeah!!!"

Player A: "Wait...didnt you hit your drive OB?"

Player A: "You do remember that we are playing for money, right?"

Player A: "So you can't count or are a cheater, eh?"

Kool-Aid Man: "Oh Yeah!!!

Player A: "Thanks for the diabetes, a$$hole."

In all seriousness, the answer is, "it depends."

Sometimes, a difference of 1-inch can be a serious breach. Other times, a difference of 20 yards is not.

The general guidance is whether the player gained a significant advantage. Drop 1 foot the right of where you were supposed to drop? Perhaps not a serious breach if your drop is in the fairway and your improper drop is also in the fairway. However, if your improper drop gets you out of the rough, or gives you more room around a tree, it certainly could be a serious breach.

Accidentally move your ball on the green and putt without replacing it? Likely not a serious breach if your putt only moves a few inches. Likely is a serious breach if your touching it caused it to roll from a slippery downhill putt to an uphill one.

Player A: "Kool-Aid Man, what did you get there? Par?

Player A: "Wait...didnt you hit your drive OB?"

Player A: "You do remember that we are playing for money, right?"

Player A: "So you can't count or are a cheater, eh?"

Kool-Aid Man: "Oh Yeah!!!

Player A: "Thanks for the diabetes, a$$hole."
As a former (moderately overweight) child of the 80's---I feel the blame for my current moderately corpulent condition is squarely on his shoulders.

I'd personally prefer to NOT tee it up with the likes of him.

In all seriousness, I'd call a foot wedge, dropping a ball and pretending it's the one you just launched OB and you found it, intentionally writing down the wrong score, mulligans (unless you score it as S&D, in which case it's really not a mulligan anyway), intentionally carrying 15+ clubs or non-conforming clubs, etc. I'm sure there are many more.

On the light-hearted side, I'd say parking your cart (riding or push/pull variety) or placing your bag on the side of the hole away from the next tee requiring you to go out of your way after completing the hole to get it and get out of the way of the group behind.

Back