What defines quality?

kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
The price = quality thread got me thinking.... How do you define quality?

Is it materials?
Craftsmanship of the components?
Final build quality including qc check?
Aesthetics?

For me it's a combination of all the above. Also if you order a custom club if it is to your exact specs that would scream quality to me.

all of that, and performance

It's definitely everything you listed, and especially getting a custom club exactly to spec.
When Taylormade wouldn't swing weight my M2 despite me ordering it shorter it just made me wonder what else they aren't doing.
(Not a Taylormade bash as there are many OEMs that won't swing weight for you)

Is it materials?
Aesthetics?

For me it's a combination of all the above. Also if you order a custom club if it is to your exact specs that would scream quality to me.
I would agree it's all of those things. I think asthmatics has a lot more though to do with perception of quality.

If it looks cheap. I would say perception would be low quality. Even if it was super high end materials and performance...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Is it materials?
Aesthetics?

All of the above for me Kang, but in the end it has to be made well and look fantastic.

Is it materials?
Aesthetics?

Pretty sure you summed it up quite well.

Materials
Craftsmanship of the components
Final build quality including qc check
Aesthetics

For me quality is performance and durability when it comes to golf equipment. If it works well and doesn't break then I consider it a quality product.

I may also add guarantee or warranty backing their product. The last thing I want is to spend a ton of money on something to find out later the head caves in on the fourth tee shot.

I go back to the Deming quote I cited in the Price = Quality thread: Quality is fitness for use. I also provided another favorite Deming quote:

Good quality is not necessarily high quality.

I think you all are doing a great job of defining high quality according to what you value. That may include performance, cost, image, aesthetics, durability, service after the sale, etc. I'm with you, as long as you realize you are defining high quality. Just to pick an example off the top of my head - a Callaway Warbird may have good tolerances, be durable, and be fine to use in a scramble with a bunch a novice golfers. It is of good quality. A Chrome Soft is also good quality, but at a much higher level.

Is it materials?
Aesthetics?

For me it's a combination of all the above.

Well, it's definitely not Callaway or Taylormade.

I'd say you covered it for me Kang.

Back