What did you shoot today?

Dang thats some distance your playing !!! Great round.

We wanted to make our match fun. For the most part nobody else on course. We did lose to the youngsters. Dormie with 3 to go we birdied 16 and 17 to be one down going into the last hole. Couldn’t get it done. Fortunately winner had to buy drinks. That was a detail they missed!😎

44/42 for an 86 today. We skipped holes #6 and 7 to get around a couple of slow groups, then came back and played them at the end. I was +2 on the rest of the front 9, then when we came back around to finish off, I tripled 6 and doubled 7, oof.

Silly 81 (41/40). 7200 yards. Hit the ball better than score. 2 birdies. GIR on all 4 par 3’s, a tough test on today’s course (190, 215,165, 225). Bizarre triple on 18 wrapped up the day. Cool 50’s F, overcast, blustery, and light rain at times. Greens and fairways were recently aerated. Long day out there. Good people.

Looking at my stats. 14/18 GIR on a long and tough course. No wonder it felt like a silly round. Two WTF tee shots and woeful putting on the front 9 took away from solid iron and wedge play. I need be smarter with big stick and then with putting ... sigh. I need putting help.

Looking at my stats. 14/18 GIR on a long and tough course. No wonder it felt like a silly round. Two WTF tee shots and woeful putting on the front 9 took away from solid iron and wedge play. I need be smarter with big stick and then with putting ... sigh. I need putting help.
I get this. I feel like when I'm pumping approach shots into greens, the round feels good, but those little things that kept me from scoring well become GLARING.

I get this. I feel like when I'm pumping approach shots into greens, the round feels good, but those little things that kept me from scoring well become GLARING.

Glaring is the right word. Even the playing group was finding ways to joke about my putting. I make them tense when I putt, and I think they are trying to cope. It is that stupid. Long putt or chip, I'll take chip every single time. I am thinking about starting to chip from the green. I am too tense and inconsistent with a putter in my hands. I don't know how to fix that. I try to build my confidence, but given how many good opportunities I give myself on greens round after round, the reality is glaring. My ball striking and putting aren't even on the same planet. :mad: Grr.

Glaring is the right word. Even the playing group was finding ways to joke about my putting. I make them tense when I putt, and I think they are trying to cope. It is that stupid. Long putt or chip, I'll take chip every single time. I am thinking about starting to chip from the green. I am too tense and inconsistent with a putter in my hands. I don't know how to fix that. I try to build my confidence, but given how many good opportunities I give myself on greens round after round, the reality is glaring. My ball striking and putting aren't even on the same planet. :mad: Grr.
Are we talking a control thing or are you just reading greens badly?

That sucks man. I'm with you on preferring a chip over a long putt, but I don't think I suffer quite the same. I think the highlighted part is really awesomely self-aware though, and says a lot about how much you and the people you play with care. Happy for you on that at least.

Played a Pro Am at Woodstone CC in eastern Pa, and had a pretty poor showing.
Stayed at the lodge this Thursday and was able to play the course again.
Went 38/37 - 75 +3.. with a double and a pair of birdies. What I was most happy with was the fact that I only had one three putt. Which was far from the case this time. But I was also much closer to the hole on almost every green.
This is a truly entertaining golf course and if you get the chance play it. It has a lot of elevation changes along with a good amount of holes with water. Greens can be very fast as well. Great course.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

41/39 = 80, but with an asterisk. We had to skip four holes on the back 9 due to a tournament being sent out in the middle of our round, so I had to record net par for each of those holes for posting purposes (so par, bogey, bogey, bogey). It was a shame to have to put an asterisk on the score because I was shooting well, +4 on the front with two birdies and of the 5 holes we played on the back I was +1. Front 9 I was 2/6 FW, 2/9 GIR, 12 putts.

We were on a nice pace before the tournament came out, too - we ended up finishing the 14 holes in 2 hours, 4 minutes, playing as a twosome most of the way and a fivesome for the last 2 holes.

Last edited:
Are we talking a control thing or are you just reading greens badly?

Biggest issue is distance control. From 15-30 feet I blew putts past the hole leaving 8-12 footers. I made a few of those coming back, which is a glimmer of hope. I think it is simply about tension and a negative feedback loop with confidence. I am loose and solid on practice greens and at times during play. All between the ears.

85 today unfortunately. A few unlucky penalties and only one bird.

Biggest issue is distance control. From 15-30 feet I blew putts past the hole leaving 8-12 footers. I made a few of those coming back, which is a glimmer of hope. I think it is simply about tension and a negative feedback loop with confidence. I am loose and solid on practice greens and at times during play. All between the ears.
I know you are a better putter than that!!!! Where you noticing any different greens speeds? If to tense, then really take a deep breathe before addressing the ball, or maybe change up the routine, sometimes that will trigger what you need.
Did you change putters or still rolling the Chicago.

I know you are a better putter than that!!!! Where you noticing any different greens speeds? If to tense, then really take a deep breathe before addressing the ball, or maybe change up the routine, sometimes that will trigger what you need.
Did you change putters or still rolling the Chicago.

IDK. Started off with some awful putts on #1 and #2 and that was in my head. I felt dialed on the practice green. You are very right in that I need to change things up and find a way to stay relaxed and comfortable over the ball with a flatstick. I have better putting moments and rounds, but inconsistency rolling the ball is an ongoing issue. I'll keep working at it.

IDK. Started off with some awful putts on #1 and #2 and that was in my head. I felt dialed on the practice green. You are very right in that I need to change things up and find a way to stay relaxed and comfortable over the ball with a flatstick. I have better putting moments and rounds, but inconsistency rolling the ball is an ongoing issue. I'll keep working at it.
Just a blip on the radar, it will come back. Just talk sweet to the Chicago and you will be fine. :)

Played in an inter-club match today. Well matched up - two 1 caps and two 5.
I shot about a 73 and we beat them 4 and 3. My pards holed some killer putts on the last two holes. Fun day.
Tomorrow will be rough...singles and I have to play a 17 yo +3 capper. Should be fun.

Played in an inter-club match today. Well matched up - two 1 caps and two 5.
I shot about a 73 and we beat them 4 and 3. My pards holed some killer putts on the last two holes. Fun day.
Tomorrow will be rough...singles and I have to play a 17 yo +3 capper. Should be fun.

You will take him down. Experience will prevail.

-2, 70 this morning. (y)

44/48 = 92....things were going swimmingly till the guys i was paired with wanted to see the driver :banghead:...after that, it was "right" city :rolleyes:

Got 11 in before dark last night. 42 (+6) on the front, and two bogeys on 10 and 11. 4/8 fairways, and 1/11 GIRs.

GIR% is falling off a cliff, at this point. 3/42 GIRs in the last 3 rounds/partial rounds. :confused2:

More of the same today. 36 - 42 - 78. Did have 3 birdies but also hit way too many very poor shots, particularly on the back 9.

35/39 for a 74 today. I am a little upset with myself. I was 2 under after 11 holes. I just didn’t bring it the rest of the round. I hit 12 greens, but only got up and down 1/6 times and had a double bogie. When you have 4 birdies, 12 GIR and hit 9/13 FIR, you ought to shoot under par.

Back