What do you call it?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
A buddy and I were talking, and his great aunt just bought a new "Davenport." (Her words)

So what do you call it: a couch, a sofa or a davenport?

I call it a couch. A sofa is a fancy couch (one that is more for looks than comfort).

Obviously a davenport is also a couch/sofa or I never would have brought it up, but how many of you have heard that term before? (I have, although I have never used the term).

A buddy and I were talking, and his great aunt just bought a new "Davenport." (Her words)

So what do you call it: a couch, a sofa or a davenport?

I call it a couch. A sofa is a fancy couch (one that is more for looks than comfort).

Obviously a davenport is also a couch/sofa or I never would have brought it up, but how many of you have heard that term before? (I have, although I have never used the term).

I call it Smallville trying to boost his post count back above mine. Can't keep it there for long, can you? :banana:

This may be more regionalism again, though davenport is definitely a grandparent type word. I tend to say sofa. A couch is a three seater, and the sofa in our family room is really a love seat.

Last edited:
I call it Smallville trying to boost his post count back above mine. Can't keep it there for long, can you? :banana:

Doesn't matter. I got the new Big Bertha driver prize for being the fist non staff member to reach 1,000 posts! So there!

OK so I lied.

A Davenport is a brand name for couches like LazyBoy is for reclining chairs. Said brand name no longer exists but the name still haunts us today.

I say couch.

Doesn't matter. I got the new Big Bertha driver prize for being the fist non staff member to reach 1,000 posts! So there!

OK so I lied.

If you don't post photos, the THP police will come in the middle of the night to retrieve it!

Ive never even heard the word Davenport, it sounds very fancy though, almost like a nice pair of shoes. I just call it a couch.

Dictionary says couch is for resting and sleeping, sofa is high backed and for sitting. That confirms what I've always thought...the couch is that comfy thing in your man cave that you sink into when you're tired or watching football, a sofa is that fancy, firmer thing that you sit on and visit with company and drink tea. I know many houses that have both.

Never heard Davenport, myself.

Dictionary says couch is for resting and sleeping, sofa is high backed and for sitting. That confirms what I've always thought...the couch is that comfy thing in your man cave that you sink into when you're tired or watching football, a sofa is that fancy, firmer thing that you sit on and visit with company and drink tea. I know many houses that have both.

Never heard Davenport, myself.

Couch: "comfy", nice to sit on; Sofa: "fancy, firmer"more for looks!
Growing up, I knew a lot of (almost always) older people calling it a Davenport. In probably 20 years or so, after the people who still use the term Davenport are gone, the word will likely go away, to nly be heard in trivia games.

This is from Wikipedia:
Davenport (sofa)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Davenport is the name of a series of sofas manufactured by the now-defunct A.H. Davenport Company. Due to the popularity of the furniture at the time, the name "Davenport" has become a genericized trademark like "Kleenex" or "Band-Aid." It is often used as a synonym for "sofa", especially in the Midwestern United States and in northern New York state. Specifically, it is used in the Adirondack Region and the Tughill Plateau, especially amongst those born there before World War II. The so-called Davenports of the northern New York region are often locally made sofa versions of the locally manufactured convertible Adirondack Chair.

Among the younger generations, the word has come to mean a more formal sofa. In the Tughill and Adirondack regions in New York, a Davenport may refer especially to a couch which, like a modern futon lounge, converts on pivoting hinges from a sofa to a bed.

DaVan (d'van) was commonly used as slang for Davenport amongst the "blue collared" families of the 1950s/60s in areas of the Midwestern United States, especially Texas.

In other areas of North America, the word Davenport is used for a Futon-style sofa with storage under the seat area.

A similar word, Daveno, also refers to a sofa or couch. The term was more widely used in the 50's and 60's, particularly in the Pacific Northwest.

i have never heard the word davenport before except as a last name. i always call it a couch

'Tis a couch in my house.

I call it, "get the dogs off!"

Davenport ='s fancyschamncy
Sofa ='s mother-in-law

'couch' here as well.

Back