What do you do about chipped paint on your club heads?

OrlandoGolfBlog

KISS MY A** BALL!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw the post about cleaning club heads and it got me thinking about this.

My 3-wood has quite a few "idiot marks" that I'd like to repair. The paint is chipping in places and it's such an odd color of paint, that I've been considering taking it to HD to have them match the color so I can paint over it.

Has anyone dabbled in touch up paint on your club heads or do you not worry about it?

When all else fails, a black sharpie does work in spots. I think Gummi Bear knew some better info on the paint.

i used a deep black marker on my r7, i had a sky mark on it from my mate giving it a go :/

but the marker did a good job, but is still noticeable

i used a deep black marker on my r7, i had a sky mark on it from my mate giving it a go :/

but the marker did a good job, but is still noticeable

Did you smack your friend on the back of his head before making him buy you the marker? I would have. :stickbeat:

Things like that don't bother me. Correction - the first mark does and then I get used to it.

In a nutshell, there is no quick and easy way to fix a chip or dent in a driver.

Basically, it has to be done in the same way that would be used to repair a chip or dent in an automotive finish. The area has to be sanded and smoothed to blend in with the rest of the surface using a variety of sandpaper grits, just as you would do for an automotive repair. A bit of primer is next, followed by more sanding and then a matching paint is applied (the hardest part of all is matching the color) which is then sanded (sometimes wet-sanded) to an ultra-smooth texture and finally a gloss is added to restore the finish which is then followed by a good buffing.

A sharpie works to disguise such things from being noticed at a glance, but for a proper repair, you just have to go through the steps to do it right. Of course, most golf shops can also do these repairs, but be prepared to spend about $70 or $80 for the service.

-JP

Things like that don't bother me. Correction - the first mark does and then I get used to it.

Yeah, I know that you're not bothered by such things. You were even amused a bit when you were lightly rear-ended in your BMW a week or so ago. I remember yelling at some guy many years ago when he tapped my bumper on my '79 Corolla when I was in a drive-thru many years ago, even though there was no damage.

I personally don't let anyone hit my clubs. Yeah, they're old, but they're in great shape because I take really good care of them. A skymark put on by a friend on my woods would tick me off.

Did you smack your friend on the back of his head before making him buy you the marker? I would have. :stickbeat:

nah, im happy he is learning the game..

I'm the same way. The first time I notice a problem with something I own, a scratch , ding or whatever, I freak out for a second. Then 10 minutes later I could care less because there is nothing you can do about it. Just have the mind set that every little defect gives something character and a story.

I would let most people I play with regularly hit any of my clubs in a normal situation. If they were in a rocky bunker or near tree roots or something, they'd be on their own.

I have a buddy who is a clean freak. Everything has to be in order. Drives his wife crazy sometimes with his affliction. In golf if he gets a nick, or chip on top of one of his woods, it is a disaster of the first magnitude. What he does to hide the blemish is to use a permanent black ink pen on the spot, and after the ink drys he sprays the whole club head (except the face) with a lacquer finish. He says the lacquer finish fills the colored scratch, chip, what ever, and hides the blemish. Don't know if it actually works because I have never tried it. I can say his woods look brand new every time I see them. If I chip a wood, it's no big deal, and write it off as a battle tested scar. :clapp:

I have a buddy who is a clean freak. Everything has to be in order. Drives his wife crazy sometimes with his affliction. In golf if he gets a nick, or chip on top of one of his woods, it is a disaster of the first magnitude. What he does to hide the blemish is to use a permanent black ink pen on the spot, and after the ink drys he sprays the whole club head (except the face) with a lacquer finish. He says the lacquer finish fills the colored scratch, chip, what ever, and hides the blemish. Don't know if it actually works because I have never tried it. I can say his woods look brand new every time I see them. If I chip a wood, it's no big deal, and write it off as a battle tested scar. :clapp:

Hmm.. That's not a bad idea :)

If the black sharpie doesn't satisfy you then a refinish is the only thing to fix it.
qualgolf.com does a fantastic job and is the only place that can replace taylormade's TP badge for those who have a TP TM driver. And it's on $35 plus shipping

Back