What do you do when your swing falls apart?

club down and focus on making good face contact

040fa5fe36dfddfffa29844ff35f8556.gif

When my swing falls apart it's almost always because I start rushing my downswing.

Ill let you know that answer if my swing ever stays together for long enough period of time so that I can then consider it to have at some point there after fallen apart.

Breathe. Eliminate all swing thoughts. Club up and grip down. Focus on tempo and 3/4 swings. Nothing fancy.

Usually it's because I've allowed yet another "use your body, not your arms/hands" instruction article or video to get into my head and, as a result, have quit releasing the club through impact.

The cure, for me, is to stand on the first tee box and commit to "releasing the hell out of the club on every shot today." Or, "I'm going to hook every shot off the face of the earth" or something else extreme that results in proper release, increased clubhead speed, distance and accuracy. (And greater enjoyment of the game from flushed iron shots and solid, push-draw drives.)

Usually it's because I've allowed yet another "use your body, not your arms/hands" instruction article or video to get into my head and, as a result, have quit releasing the club through impact.

The cure, for me, is to stand on the first tee box and commit to "releasing the hell out of the club on every shot today." Or, "I'm going to hook every shot off the face of the earth" or something else extreme that results in proper release, increased clubhead speed, distance and accuracy. (And greater enjoyment of the game from flushed iron shots and solid, push-draw drives.)
I suffer greatly from early release and right (rear arm) heaviness but for me it does the opposite as it does to you and causes a club cast out/in path and closing face and the result is often a pull and or if done badly enough a pull draw or even hook.

Delaying that release changes my whole path to in/out and even can end up a push or push fade. Im actually glad when I push vs pull cause I at least know Im not doing the early release. From that point its just a matter to then release enough and with enough follow through to create the slight draw if not a straight shot. Its such a timing game even when overall swing tempo is good I still can struggle with the timing of the release. Its my forever challenging issue and the biggest reason (next to tempo) for my constant lack of consistency with ball striking.

Last edited:
I suffer greatly from early release and right (rear arm) heaviness but for me it does the opposite as it does to you and causes a club cast out/in path and closing face and the result is often a pull and or if done badly enough a pull draw or even hook.

Delaying that release changes my whole path to in/out and even can end up a push or push draw. Im actually glad when I push vs pull cause I at least know Im not doing the early release. From that point its just a matter to then release enough and with enough follow through to create the slight draw if not a straight shot. Its such a timing game even when overall swing tempo is good I still can struggle with the timing of the release. Its my forever challenging issue and the biggest reason (next to tempo) for my constant lack of consistency with ball striking.
I hear ya ... note that I said "releasing the club through impact," which is totally different than an "early release" cast of the club. And, for me, that release has to come from the inside, too.

Double my adult beverage consumption

What I tend to do is go the the range and slowly work with 9i or PW just making sure the contact is there. If that doesn't work after an hour or so then I'll book in half an hour with my instructor just to watch over what I'm doing and gently nudge me back on track again. Is always just a fundamental, something small and easy to fix and another set of eyes picks it out immediately.

Grind your way through that round and then I'll take a week or 2 off and just reset the mind and body.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yesterday’s round had one constant: my pull-hook being on full display 😂.

I think I’ll take 1-2 weeks off. Then focus on short and slower swinguntil I start feeling comfortable again.

I stay in the clubhouse and play gin or poker instead of golf for a couple of days.
Or just read and drink a lot of coffee with Sambuca.

My swing is not complex at all. Primitive would describe it better. My ball flight will tell me what to correct.
Sometimes, I'm just tired or a little banged up--like anybody else.
A few days off is what helps that.

Don't worry about it too much and try to put it back together! After all, it's not like I make my living doing this. Keep a bit of perspective.

Back