What do you do when you're in a funk?

rizzo269

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Curious as to what others thought process is when they get stuck in a rut of poor play. I have really been struggling the past month or so hitting very inconsistent with every club. I find myself overthinking every swing in search of something to hit a good shot. Im not even having fun playing right now which is a major issue for me because I enjoy the game so much but come away frustrated. Last season was my best year ever so maybe my hopes were little higher based on the progress I made.

I did get a referral to a new instructor that a few buddies have used and am going to talk to him this week. Hoping he can give me some tips to get me moving in the right direction.

My mind is what's getting in the way so any tips for resetting your mental focus would be interesting to me. I'm definitely staying positive but was wondering if others have been through similar experiences.

Appreciate any insight, keep ripping those drives!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Take a small break, practice things like putting, even just focus on small mechanics and not take full swings to focus on making good contact

Sounds exactly like what I’m going through right now. Roughest month of the season so far for me. So much so that I’m sure I haven’t been the most fun playing partner. That’s the part I’m working on the hardest. My attitude on the course. It’s amazing how much better the game goes when you have even a little bit of a positive attitude going!

After that though it’s been grinding the range with the clubs that have given me trouble. Mostly my driver. Grinded a full large bucket each day this weekend just working on getting back on track. Seeing the success there and then bringing that to the course helps as well!

There’s no “one thing fixes all” cure. But those two things have been turning me around slowly! Good luck on finding what helps you!

Last edited:
I just hit the range and pound balls to try and get out of it

I just embrace the suck and go full negativity for a week or two. Then , when nobody can stand my mere presence any longer, I just go play golf without keeping score and just trying to hit some fun shots. Doesn't always work but usually somewhere in there the joy and ability starts to return.

I just take break from play/practice for a day, or three. Go hiking, or fishing instead. Just give the clubs a rest.

It's not like I lost my swing or something. Most likely I'm just "golf tired" both mentally, and physically. My swing is still there, somewhere, and It will return, eventually. Usually for the better. No need to change anything.

Other times I will just play through a bad stretch poor play. Good, or bad, it's still just golf.

I just keep playing through it. The game comes and goes, it's just golf - even the pros have to deal with it, they can win a Tour event one week and miss the cut the next week.

Lucky for me I don't depend on golf to pay the bills (as is the case with most of us), so the only damage done is to my ego. Nobody else in my group cares what I shot, and nobody else in the world even knows, so no harm done.

My golf therapist says it's healthy for me to admit that I get out of a funk by buying new golf clubs, whether I need them or not.

It works!

I analyze what is wrong with my game and then get to work on it. It's amazing how often my poor play is caused by sloppy or just plain poor fundamentals. Inconsistent contact through the bag is what usually drags me down so I work through grip, aim, posture, clubface control etc. until I stumble on to something.

I've let the game get me down to the point of almost quitting entirely many times. Truthfully, if i was physically able to play other sports i probably would've given it up by now. So thats what its boiled down to for me. I tell myself I'm never going to be all that much better anyway and this is the only game(sport?) I have left, so I just do my best and don't stress(too much) about it.

Good luck!

Go to the range and figure it out. If that does not work I schedule a tune up with the local pro.

Drink heavily, as Bluto Blutarski would say. No, just some or more range time and patience. Oh, a wise Canadian once said - visit youtube get some visuals of what you are doing and what you want to be doing. IT HELPS.

I hit the range, but I won't get anything larger than a medium bucket. If what I'm working on isn't working, I don't want it to get engrained by hitting too many bad shots. I will be very deliberate with each shot at the range. Sometimes, I'll even bring a lawn chair and take a break midway through if I get back in the funk. I am a fast player on the course, but at the range I move at a snails pace.

I recently had the experience of playing around 81 holes in 3 days and after laying down the tequila, it was time to evaluate the game.

Evaluate your game - do you have a stock shot down by heart?

Irons
driver
short game
putting

After evaluation, I think a pro and video is good. I invested in LiveViewPro. If you have a tablet or a phone, you can see yourself as you take a swing and play it back without leaving your stance. I'm trying it. If a problem, will send vid to instructor. I can beat balls all day long but really, it doesn't help. You need feedback.

I am 100% guilty of putting too much pressure on playing better. I enjoy trying to improve and put my best effort into everything I do. But I also need to stay realistic. I'm a recreational golfer and still on the newer side of the game. Everything imaginable happens during my rounds. :ROFLMAO: So when I get into the funk with frustration and tension, I use a mindful approach to coming back to reality. I'm out playing in a beautiful landscape. I like to look around and enjoy the setting. And I remind myself how lucky I am to be out on the course playing with some buddies. A big one for me is remembering to enjoy every shot. I just hit some stinker into an impossible situation. Cool!. I have to figure out a shot. Golf is never dull. If I stick with that kind of reframing mindset, I usually come back to a place of balance and having fun. It is just a matter of letting myself enjoy the experience . :cool:

Drink heavily, as Bluto Blutarski would say. No, just some or more range time and patience. Oh, a wise Canadian once said - visit youtube get some visuals of what you are doing and what you want to be doing. IT HELPS.

Make a club change in the bag - a Wedge or Putter.
Something to give you a different perspective.

I don't know, I'm trying to figure it out right now. 😁

My routine is to start from the bottom and work my way back up. So, I start with putting, move to chips, move to pitches, move to wedges, move to mid irons, move to low irons, then to woods.

Usually starting from the shortest motion and working your way back, you can get that groove back again.

I will go to small drills that are fundamental and slowly go to full shots with the trouble club. Taking a break from full swings that result in a miss is key.

Play nine holes with just a 7-iron and a putter. Don't keep score.

I have had lessons, and there are many things I forget, so it is on to YOUTUBE to help me remember.

Sit back, play some Funk and forget about golf for a while. I recommend a little George Clinton.

George Clinton was born in the small town of Kannapolis,NC about 5 miles from me.

I've learned to self-diagnose my problems, and I have a whole arsenal of "band-aids" to employ to try and right the ship when I'm playing bad. I've also learned to default to fundamentals and make small, incremental changes as they can have a huge impact (in grip, stance, ball position, etc...).

Back