What do you do with the crappy tipper?

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday one of my friends and I played in a NCGA and got paired up with a couple interesting cats. One guy was quite pleasant, but had a consistent habit of moving around when others were putting, including being very close to them.

The other guy.... well I would call him a hat for donkeys, but he had the personality of sun faded screen door.

Anyway, after the round in the restaurant against my better judgement after he asked if he could look at one of our menus, I said he was welcome to join us and he replied "I guess I have to sit somewhere...." Looking forward to breaking bread with you too Richard (this is not his name, but let's call him that).

We all order, he gets the steak sandwich ($18.00 plus 9% tax). Service was quite slow and I have to go find our waitress to get the bill. She brings it on one check and since it has been so slow I figure we just pay off it instead of the 15 minutes it would take to split them up. I take a look (mine was $20 plus the same 9% tax), hand it to Richard and he goes, here's $20 (in 4 $5s) and takes off. I throw down $28 (should be a $6.40 tip, or 30%+) and hit the bathroom before the 90 minute drive home, my friend is going to pay with his card and just take the cash from Richard and I. While I am gone Richard comes back to the table and asks my buddy for the 4 $5s as that is his "gambling money" and peels off one of the many $20s he has on his money clip.

I come back and start adding things up as my friend is wondering why the check is so high for him and realize this jackwagon left a $0.36 tip.... who does this? I wanted to go find the guy and tell him not only was he a crap golfer but he was a $#!* tipper as well. My buddy tells me it is fine, he leaves a similar tip to what I left and it works out to around $18%. My assumption is this is exactly what he figured, we would pick up the balance so no one knows what a cheap SOB he is.

It would have been one thing if this guy only had a $20 (but if so why order the steak sandwich that is $18, when he could have gotten something else that was several dollars cheaper) but he had at least $40 and likely more from what my buddy saw.... Am I wrong to be infuriated with something like this? Is it just another example of the who gives an F about anyone but themselves mindset that is taking over? I ask this as a self centered jerk myself, but come on...

I absolutely hate poor tippers and it is my opinion that if you don't have the decency to tip or the awareness that your tip is what makes waiting tables a worthwhile job for someone, you shouldn't be eating out. I know there are people that are just cheap and skimp on those things (which tells me a LOT about their character), but a 20% tip can be figured so easily there is no excuse for someone to say they don't get the math (another excuse I've heard).

I always ask for separate checks before we order, unless I offered to treat.

I absolutely hate poor tippers and it is my opinion that if you don't have the decency to tip or the awareness that your tip is what makes waiting tables a worthwhile job for someone, you shouldn't be eating out. I know there are people that are just cheap and skimp on those things (which tells me a LOT about their character), but a 20% tip can be figured so easily there is no excuse for someone to say they don't get the math (another excuse I've heard).

Exactly! And even without the tax you are leaving about a 10% tip... Honestly after the 5 hours we spent with him on the course I shouldn't have been surprised. Guy was nozzle of doosh.

Sometimes I feel awkward asking for Separate Checks but that's the way I prefer it.

And you have every right to be infuriated with that jack wagon! I would be too.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Poor tippers are usually are P.O.S.'s in everything else in life. You should've called him out. People like that won't learn nor care but they have to know they're piece of garbage human beings.

The world is full of people like this so I would just never play (or eat) with him again and move on.

Y
I take a look (mine was $20 plus the same 9% tax), hand it to Richard and he goes, here's $20 (in 4 $5s) and takes off. I throw down $28 (should be a $6.40 tip, or 30%+) and hit the bathroom before the 90 minute drive home, my friend is going to pay with his card and just take the cash from Richard and I. While I am gone Richard comes back to the table and asks my buddy for the 4 $5s as that is his "gambling money" and peels off one of the many $20s he has on his money clip.

Bad tippers are typically easy to spot. However if the service is poor it certainly doesnt require anyone to give over 18% in my mind. If I read that correctly, you were tipping 30%?? Service better be top notch and the experience fantastic for me to go over 22% in a tip. I find 18-22% is the window of decency unless it was truly superb. Unless the waiter is being a "richard", they are doing their jobs and typically arent the source of the slow down or kitchen issue and more so dont deserve to be punished for something that isnt their fault.. Sounds like Richard was indeed a nob...

Having waited tables through college, I'm probably on the other end - I tend to tip TOO well. if I get crappy service, you're stuck with 20% exactly (I'll count out the pennies, believe me).

My dad learned from his dad, who learned from his dad, that you "take the measure of a man by how he treats his inferiors, not his superiors." While the language is a bit antiquated, I think you get the gyst of what he's saying. I used to work closely with the folks who sat on coprorate boards - needless to say, some high rollers. The way some of them treated the wait staff was APPALLING. I even called a few of them on it, by politely smiling a little bigger and saying thank you a little louder to the server and usually "I know we're a big group, so thank you in advance for all of the hard work the bigger group requires."

Lead by example, my dad also taught me.

Reminds me of that scene in Reservoir Dogs.

I had a friend who used to be a terrible tipper and he always tried to justify why he would tip so poorly. It was always an excuse for leaving a terrible tip, but never made any sense to anyone. A couple of us would go out to watch football games at BW3's for a few hours, and I'd always leave more than the "standard" 20% tip since we were taking up a table for several hours. He never understood why... I guess that's why I don't hang out with him much anymore.

Sounds like the service didn’t warrant the 18% you and your buddy left. It doesn’t excuse the dudes behavior but I wouldn’t have left the tip you guys left and I believe is 20% if they just do their job.
I also would have never invited him to sit with us after the round your described with him on the course. 4.5 hours would have been enough.

Poor tippers after good service bug me too but I’m not sure I’d be as aggravated as you seem to be.

Bad tippers are typically easy to spot. However if the service is poor it certainly doesnt require anyone to give over 18% in my mind. If I read that correctly, you were tipping 30%?? Service better be top notch and the experience fantastic for me to go over 22% in a tip. I find 18-22% is the window of decency unless it was truly superb. Unless the waiter is being a "richard", they are doing their jobs and typically arent the source of the slow down or kitchen issue and more so dont deserve to be punished for something that isnt their fault.. Sounds like Richard was indeed a nob...

It was really busy (2 tournaments, 1 on each of the 18 hole courses) and service wasn't bad just slow, food was good, the people were pleasant and since my buddy was paying with his card and he drove the last 40 minutes each way, I just threw down a $20 and whatever smaller bills I had (a 5 and 3 1s). If I am paying with my card I will usually be right around 20%, if I am paying cash unless service was bad it is at least 15% rounded up to whatever bills I have that are an even dollar amount. bill is $15 and I have a 20, well looks like the server is getting a 33% tip. Not because I am all that generous, just don't need to waste there time or my time to get $2 back to be at 20%.

Also, when I went to Bandon last year they automatically tack on 24% in tax at the restaurants... I was in shock, I thought the Bay area was at the cutting edge of gauging customers but apparently not.

It was really busy (2 tournaments, 1 on each of the 18 hole courses) and service wasn't bad just slow, food was good, the people were pleasant and since my buddy was paying with his card and he drove the last 40 minutes each way, I just threw down a $20 and whatever smaller bills I had (a 5 and 3 1s). If I am paying with my card I will usually be right around 20%, if I am paying cash unless service was bad it is at least 15% rounded up to whatever bills I have that are an even dollar amount. bill is $15 and I have a 20, well looks like the server is getting a 33% tip. Not because I am all that generous, just don't need to waste there time or my time to get $2 back to be at 20%.

Also, when I went to Bandon last year they automatically tack on 24% in tax at the restaurants... I was in shock, I thought the Bay area was at the cutting edge of gauging customers but apparently not.
Gotcha that makes more sense now.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Former server, and it is weird how the rudest, most off people are usually the worst tippers. You can usually tell before the order is placed what kind of tip you are going to get.

Sorry you had a bad experience

I tip according to service but have never left less than 20% either. Just sounds like the guy is really cheap.

I can't stand poor tippers either, I think you can tell a lot about a person by how they tip or treat servers. This Richard was most certainly a Richard.

I've been out with people like that before and any time I notice it I usually try to make up the difference. When I know someone is a notoriously bad tipper, I go in knowing it's gonna cost me. But I try to stay away from that situation, some of them just happen to be family and it's unavoidable...

Unfortunately these days it seems like waiters/waitresses feel like they should get 20% no matter what kind of service they provide, which I think is unfair to the customer.It sounds like the guy was a real jerk though.

I think the more pivotal question is, why is a sandwich $18? lol

Sucks, hate when people go all cheap on tips. I think it happens alot in the combined bill situation too, cause most people are sadly really bad with Math (not saying thats the case with Richard)

Having Bar tended for 12 years. I usually knew how someone would tip by how they treated us in the first 5 min.
I had some of the Bars best customers spend 6-8 hours with us every fri nite, They tell you how much they love you and your a great server then they leave you 10 bucks on a $120+ bill.

Sadly these people spent 2k a month at the Bar/Restaurant so I always treated them special.

I have tried to Impress upon my 2 kids " the How someone treats those they think are beneath them is a good view of how they will treat you at some point"

I start at 20% and it goes up or down depending on the service but the food taking a long time isn't the servers fault.

When it comes to tipping, I tip to how the service is. And it doesn't get any clearer than that.

Im not a fan of even if a server takes the plate and dumps it in your lap and gives you the finger and you go "well I used to do what they do so I always tip no matter what" F that noise. Its a tip, not entitlement. Your "tip" determines your "service" Im paying you for a "service" and you get paid accordingly. I never understood where someone thinks they have to tip for bad service.

And don't get me wrong, I don't want to make that sound sh*tty but im not a fan of entitlement. As a matter of fact I cant stand it. I have tipped VERY well for VERY good service, tipped average for average/ok service, and I have actually not left a tip for completely terrible service.

Working in the industry (Top Golf at that) I see this all too often. Just the other night I had two tables completely walk out, unfortunately nothing really surprises me anymore with people.

Working in the industry (Top Golf at that) I see this all too often. Just the other night I had two tables completely walk out, unfortunately nothing really surprises me anymore with people.
I have confronted dine-and-dashers in the parking lot, who tried to ignore me, and then berated me as they paid (only because I snapped a photo of their license plate).

Man... some people's kids

I have confronted dine-and-dashers in the parking lot, who tried to ignore me, and then berated me as they paid (only because I snapped a photo of their license plate).

Man... some people's kids

Ha!!! The kids usually pay, but leave not a penny more....

I am in the camp that tips have to be earned so I'm open to the possibility that he wasn't cheap, just unhappy. Even so, it was sh*tty that he stuck you guys with the bill to look like the bad guys. That was a d*ck move.

Back