What do you envision future golf to be like?

NoShanks

Grandaddy 19 Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
It's such a broad question but to be more specific, I will ask this in several time periods. No need to respond to all time periods but curious to hear your thoughts on what you think can happen in the game of golf way into the future.

2020-2050

2050-2100

Fast forward rapidly:

2100-2500+

3,000+

I personally feel that equipment technology will be so far advanced in terms of material that it becomes challenging for OEM to meet the strict rules of USGA that forces USGA to change their rules drastically to accommodate the advancement of golf technology. I don't believe that will happen until 2050.

Approaching 2100 and beyond, I think average Joes with mid to high handicaps and 90 mph swing speed will be able to hit 300+ yard drives and courses will be artificial, meaning no dirt or real grass. At this point, I think its much easier to get a hole in one or two each round you play thanks to technology and shooting scores in the 50s, where shooting 60's is the new '90's'

3000 and beyond, I think we will be playing golf courses on other planets in other galaxies or solar systems against other civilizations or aliens.

Last edited:

Year 3000 @ The clubhouse.:golf:

At some pointvin the future, virtual reality will become so advanced that you won’t have to leave the comfort of your dwelling to play golf.

At some pointvin the future, virtual reality will become so advanced that you won’t have to leave the comfort of your dwelling to play golf.

I can definitely believe that.

I don't really think it would change all that much. The restrictions on clubs and balls will keep the game somewhat in check except for possible bifurcation which may or may not get out of hand.

simply put the game would have to stay almost status quo because otherwise it would lose too much integrity.

Imo its not so much the game that would change but more society that will. Etiquettes in behavior which are already on track of delivering less and less common courtesies, and respect then ever before will continue to deteriorate to the point that most things people do will nit be nearly as enjoyable. Also due to this same etiquette lacking society there will be so many more enjoyment dampening rules and regulations placed on everything we do than there already is today (due to those same reasons) that the fun will literally be sucked out of so many things we use to do for fun. Sorry but this is how I see society heading which imo has already began within this latest generation.

Cursing as a norm, all about me attitudes, lacking in respect, good behavior, and common courtesies have already gotten out of control now. But hey as long as everything is politically correct and all and every barrier is taken down and as long as everyone fits into everything the way they see fit is all that will matter. As a result of al of that I dont expect all that much enjoyment in peoples choice of enjoyable recreations including golf.

Hey.....you asked about the future of golf and well,...that's my opinion. A good, clean respectable society is going to be a rare occurrence and golf will likely be part of that mess in a negative manor as well.

Yes I am angry with society nowadays. Call me the grumpy old man if you must I don't care. We just keep loosing more and more values and etiquettes very quickly. The future imo due to this does not look good and that includes golf. And that's assuming enough people at the time will even afford it anyway. Both parents working way too many hours to survive and strangers raising our kids. Or grandparents who should be enjoying their golden years are instead raising the grandkids soi mom and dad can make ends meet. A few limited amount if rich folks and a whole world of poor folks. Golf may only be for the rich and famous after all said and done in the future amyway. Sorry I can keep going with this rant so Ill stop now. :oops:

You are a lot more optimistic than I am in the state of the world past 2050 (and before that) with climate change and overpopulation. I don't see availability or at least economical availability of fresh water for golf courses.

In the near future I think artificial turf will become more and more prevalent.

Long term I think virtual reality will be the biggest change.

In the near future I think artificial turf will become more and more prevalent.

Long term I think virtual reality will be the biggest change.
I think adtificial tee boxes should be a norm already. No more closed boxes and tees would be where they are suppose to be give or take just a club.

I’d say there will be technology that will give you coordinates to your golf ball. Essentially no one will ever lose a ball again...unless it’s in the lake and then it’ll end up on lostgolfballs.com

You are a lot more optimistic than I am in the state of the world past 2050 (and before that) with climate change and overpopulation. I don't see availability or at least economical availability of fresh water for golf courses.
haha....but yea It upsets me. Not so much over population but its the way it takes place. Too many irresponsibly having babies with no means to support them. And yet what do they do? They have another. And often multiple kids with different parents. Or having them while in college while already sucking up tax dollars in the first place and now abusing the system even more with having babies . But don't worry cause everyone applauds all this crap and cheers for it yet don't realize its partly why we pay high taxes and keep on paying and paying and paying and getting raises and paying more. very few of the already diminishing middle class masses will even be able to play golf. Ooooh I better stop :oops:

I’d say there will be technology that will give you coordinates to your golf ball. Essentially no one will ever lose a ball again...unless it’s in the lake and then it’ll end up on lostgolfballs.com

I imagine most golf ball companies are dedicating zero resources to try and develop this tech, as it's the last thing they want to see come to market haha.

i hope whatever the tech is, it doesn’t make the game TOO easy. the game is so hard, i take a certain satisfaction in those elusive and rare pured shots. if a bit of tech takes a lot of the skill out, i don’t think i would appreciate the good shots as much.

Hmm for me I honestly don’t expect golf to get that much better. Me and a buddy constantly notice how scores are so much higher than they were when we played 10 years ago. I’d easily bet our JV team could have won some of these small school leagues where teams can’t break 170.

Also the level of improvement isn’t as vast as it was in the 90s and 00s. My Nike Vapor Speed basically has the same performance for me as the Epic Flash with similar specs.

I think golf is ripe for AR (Augmented Reality). When Google Glass was a thing I thought wearing something like that all the time would be annoying, but during a round of golf it would be awesome. I am thinking a combo of new and already available technology will make this happen. First would be GPS tech in the ball. Much like a Modern Warfare type video game everyone's ball is id'd on the view with a different colored marker. In the top left or right of the view it would show front and center distance and distance to the pin (GPS in the flagstick too). All of the hazards would be displayed also and the system would already have a suggestion for the club for you to use while you're walking to your ball. You're clubs are also on an electric GPS controlled cart that also knows where your ball is so they are there waiting for you. Walking becomes more prevalent since it is so easy.

I fear this is the future of golf.

Near term is going to have a huge effect. The game is getting so slow, expensive, and exclusive, if something isn’t done to shed those notions and make it easier for people to play the game, it’s not going to survive.

in the distant future, hopefully we’ve found another inhabitable planet that we can golf on, because this one will be beyond hope.

I imagine most golf ball companies are dedicating zero resources to try and develop this tech, as it's the last thing they want to see come to market haha.
Such a great point lol

i hope whatever the tech is, it doesn’t make the game TOO easy. the game is so hard, i take a certain satisfaction in those elusive and rare pured shots. if a bit of tech takes a lot of the skill out, i don’t think i would appreciate the good shots as much.
I agree, but I feel the game will and actually has to always come down to ones ability (or not) to consistency strike good shots (or not). That part imo has to always exist because if it doesn't then the very essence of the game itself will be destroyed and would no longer be golf.

It will all be about sim and VR golf in the future. With more and more intensive resource management costs and with the price of sim/VR dropping in the next 50 years it will be a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back